What's new

Williams Shaving Stick

Pros: Easy to use stick, great reusable container, nice rose scent, slick and protective, nice post shave feel
Cons: Price at the moment, limited availability
First of all, I'm glad John posted a review of the Williams. I had been meaning to start one up, but life... You know. I bought this from Shaveabuck as soon as I knew about it because I love sticks and vintage Williams has always intrigued me. The $12 price was no big deal because I often give in to novelty purchase urges.

Anyway, the container is sturdy and reusable. I only wish refills were available as well. Are they made at all? If so, making those available as well (Shaveabuck or some other vendor) might convince people to give it a try.

The soap is foil wrapped and the nice rose scent is obvious and soon as you open the container. I don't go out of my way for rose scented products, but this is a nice scent.

The soap itself applies easily and I was able to get a nice thick lather with little effort using my favorite face lathering badger. I have had problems with rapid lather dry-up using U.S. available mug soap (I attribute this to my water quality), but this Williams stayed thick cushiony and protective on my face and showed no signs of breaking down.

I'd currently rate this as one of my top three sticks (La Toja and Arko included in the grouping). I'll likely buy more, even at the current price. I encourage people to give it a try. Hopefully, increased demand will prompt other vendors to carry it as well. In the meantime, it's available at Shaveabuck.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: You can still get vintage Williams on this planet!
Cons: Price, obviously reflective of procurement from South Africa
Shave stick from South Africa (white container trimmed in blue). It's the Real McCoy all right, vintage Williams is still made in South Africa.

This is the stick, currently available exclusively at Shave A Buck for $12.00.

It compares favorably in size and appearance to a stick I bought on ebay, probably from the 50s or 60s (red container).

I like shave sticks, particularly for travel, but I prefer the "push up" dispenser so I can lather with a brush. With the Williams stick, it rocks in the base so you have to peel the cellophane back and rub it on your face.

Stick wetted and rubbed on my wetted face: this is two days beard growth. If I shave every day there isn't enough stubble for much soap to stay on my face. That's why I'd prefer a "push up" dispenser and a brush.

You can see how much soap I could muster for each of the three passes I lathered up.

The rose scent is minimal, but good enough to satisfy any complaint by people who hate soapy/urinal cake smell.

All in all, it offered perfect protection, and if it were still available in the US I'd use it.

The price is obviously a reflection of the cost involved in importing from South Africa.

Thanks to Joe at Shave A Buck for making this product available. I have been dying to try a Williams version reflective of the glory days in Glastonbury, CT.

Another interesting aspect of this soap is that it does not have an ingredients list. Evidently this is not required in South Africa.

Funny thing, at the end of the shave stick it still says "J.B. Williams Co., Glastonbury, Conn." The fine print on the container says ""Manufactured for: Kiwi Brands by A.J. North (Pty) Ltd., Watt Road, Gately S201.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)