What's new

Wildman Sassafras Soap

I picked this soap up on a whim from Central Market. I couldn't get a decent lather out of it, and I tried several different ways, bowl, palm, face and lathering directly on the puck.

The scent is really the best part of this soap, it's spicy and reminiscent of bay rum.

It works great as a bath soap.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
1.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
I ran across this on the bay, got it for $10 shipped, tried it a few times, then looked it up on B&B. When will I learn to do it the other way around:blushing:?

Anyway, my experience was consistent with the previous reviews. Nice scent, and gives a decent shave (feels more like a shave oil than a soap lather). But I could get only a thin bubbly lather working in a mug, and I got almost nowhere trying to face-lather with this. I wouldn't really recommend it.

It's too bad, I really do like the scent.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
1.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
Price: $6 at Central Market in Dallas. Not too bad, if it works . . .

Quality: No problems with the ingredients or how the puck is made. No allergic reactions.

Scent: Very nice and spicy. There's still hope . . .

Lather: I simply could not get a thick, cushiony lather out of it. When you work the puck for over a minute (yes, I timed it) and still can't get a good lather, either in the bowl on on the face, it's time to quit. I started over several time during the shave to get a good lather - no go.

Efficacy: Poor lather = poor shave. It wasn't cushiony, it wasn't slick, it just wasn't.

Moisturizing: Not sure how to rate this, as I finished off the shave with some Coates Tea Tree SC. It didn't seem to be too drying.

Bottom line: avoid. There's much better stuff on which to spend your money.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
1.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
I picked up this bad boy at central market in dallas TX in the organic soap section. Its made in TX by a mom and pop company. Im not sure how widely they distribute.

This is what the sticker says:

Handmade with saponified cold pressed olive, coconut, organc palm and castor oil, organic aloe, essential oils, bentonite clay, sassafras, organic cinnamon, oats, glycerin, sea salt.

This puck has everything. It is the first puck i've ever owned. I used tons of creams, cans and tubs before. I picked this up because of the smell. Its very spicey. It reminds me highly of Old Spice.

The previous review was from 2 yrs ago so maybe the formula changed. I was able to build a foam and not a creamy lather. I tried at least 5 times changing my techniques and water amount and was not able to get a good cream out of this.

The shave was ok, no lather tho. and the foam dissolved after a few seconds. I feel that shaving creams leave my face softer but this is not too far behind.

This is a great soap for $8
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
1.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
First, I have to say I am not the world's best lather builder with soap. I do pretty good when presented with excellent quality soap, but otherwise my results vary.

This is a great smelling soap. I bought because of the 100% natural ingredients and because of the spicy smell. It has a strong, clean scent that left my whole bathroom smelling like it with it just sitting in there for 10 hours.

Price
$8. Can't beat that.

Quality
Based on the ingredients this is great quality stuff.

Scent
Out of this world good smelling, spicy scent. Clean but not soapy with more then a hint of the sassafras.

Later
This is where it failed. The lather was loose and not slick. I tried several times and ended up getting the best results with my stiff boar hair brush. I could get a good lather going, but it didn't have any staying power and was soon loose and thin. Never got shiny and lacked cushion on the razor. This is not unusual for all the natural products I have tried -- I find they just don't lather as well. But, it was adequate if you kept stirring. Other better lather builders would probably do much better then me.

Efficacy
What makes a pleasurable shave for me is scent and the ability to let me shave close. For scent it gets all points, but it didn't provide a great shave due to the lack of solid lather. I think it would add a lot of scent to a soap / creme combo and I expect it will come into it's own in that role.

Moisturizing
Here's where natural soaps reign and this is no exception. It left my face very well moisturized along with leaving behind some of that wonderful scent.

I'm very interested in results from others.

Check them out. Lots of great soaps.
www.awildsoapbar.com
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
1.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)