What's new

Wesley and Scott Lime Shave Cream

Due to a mixup with my order at shavingessentials, I ended up with one of these 3oz tubs of lime AS. I love all things citrus, and lime especially, so I was excited to get to try this shaving cream.

My previous lime cream experience was limited to the KMF (Kiss My Face) lime, which has some lime scent that honestly disappears when you lather. But the W&S lime had LIME scent, a massive dose of lime that stayed throughout the entire shave. With every new pass (I do a 4 pass shave), the lime scent was strong, in your face, LIME. It was awesome, and was exactly the lime experience I've been craving.

The shave was very nice. No lagging, no dragging, and everything seemed flawless from the first pass to the fourth. It lathered up great, and didn't bother my skin at all (and I have extremely sensitive skin).

At $11 per 3oz jar, this cream is a steal, and will become a frequent member of my shaving rotation.

The only downgrade on the packaging was due to the paper label on the jar. Since my hand was wet when I picked it up, the label got wet, and I can see this being a long term problem.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
oh man John is going to make me go broke from all of his scented creams he is offering!
I have been talking a little with John over at Shaving Essentials and I mentioned he should make his new W&S shave cream in lime. He told me he was giving it a shot and that if I wanted I could go ahead and buy a pot of it. Given that I am addicted to all things lime, I jumped at the chance.

You will note that as of this writing (3/28/09) it is not on his page.

The cream is quite affordable. $11 gets you a 3oz pot which ought to last you quite a while. The cream is very soft, so make sure when you load your brush you don't OVER load it - that's real easy to do. And that would be wasteful. You don't need a lot. I find myself scraping some off my brush before lathering. Just enough to cover the tops of the middle of the brush is enough.

Quality is right up there. I don't know that it's in the rarefied heights of Harris et al. but it's darn good. The ingredients list reads like the contents of a health food store. I don't buy into the whole if it's organic it's good thing, but there seems to be nothing objectionable in the cream.

The scent - ahhh, the scent. Wow! This stuff is LIME! Clean, crisp, undiluted lime. I love it. It's pretty strong and you smell lime throughout the shave. Some people may have a problem with it since it's lime EO, not FO. And there seems to be a good bit of it. I sometimes have some effect from QEDs lime soap for instance. But there was no problem with this stuff. Possibly all the goodies in it acted as a buffer and kept my skin happy.

The lather was easy to obtain and thick. I face lather so I don't get the gobs of lather everyone seems to go nuts over. But a little cream on the tips of my brush bristles allowed me an easy three passes with left over lather on my brush.

And the lather WORKS. I think there may be slicker creams out there. TOBS comes to mine immediately, and Frasers. But this does the job just fine and softens whiskers with the best of them.

After the shave there was no tightness of my face. There wasn't a lot of goop left over like there is with some creams, especially lanolin creams. It rinsed away cleanly and out of my brush no problems.

Packaging is simple - a jar. What more do you need?

Altogether a pleasure to use. Highly recommended!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)