What's new

Weleda After Shave Balsam

I've been on the lookout for an aftershave balm/splash combo kinda thing. I was thinking about getting the tabac lotion but when I found out my local whole foods stocks this swanky french weleda product, I thought I'd give that a shot.

The price is a tad high. $20 for 100ml but that is at whole foods which is notoriously high-priced. It does come in a really nice heavy blue glass bottle so you do feel that you are getting your money's worth. The cap is white plastic and the sticker on the front of the bottle is kind of generic but overall it's some nice packaging.

This balm REALLY fights razor burn! The first time I used it I had finished a 2-pass straight shave with a not so prime razor (lots of tugging and scraping) that followed up another 2-pass straight shave from the day before with the same blade. This was all in my attempt to learn my way with straights. Needless to say my face was red and angry, looked like i had a bad sunburn or rash. there's no way I was going to put clubman on so I thought I'd see how well this weleda stuff really works. A few splashes went on nice and smooth, not burning at all. and within 5 minutes my face looked completely calm and clear.

What really surprised me was the cooling sensation. it's not a blast of cooling like menthol but just a nice hint of coolness, like a breeze on your face, but its definitely there even after 30 minutes. I kept checking the ingredients for menthol but it has none. After some looking on the net I found out myrrh oil has a cooling effect on the skin. :thumbup1:

The scent is the weakest point. It's pleasant but not amazing. lasts maybe 15-30 minutes. It smells strongly of chamomile and citrus oils. I'd describe it as chamomile tea with a lemon peel. Different from most products, and kinda refreshing, but not very manly.

It's nicely moisturizing, but if you put a little too much on you can get greasy skin for a while until it soaks in all the way. good winter aftershave for sure.

The product is also completely natural and organic and all that, which is a big plus in my book. so many balms have tons of preservatives and antimicrobials and silicone, etc. It's nice to find a chemical free product that works well. I noticed it had magnesium aluminum silicate on the list which concerned me a tad, but it turns out that it's kaolin clay so I can live with that since clay particles probably aren't going to absorb into my skin.

overall, a really nice balm, best I've tried thus far.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
A thick, heavy balm, mostly suitable for excellent protection during real winters. Avoid if in warm climates or if your skin is steadily with oily/combination characteristics. A solid performer, highly recommended under the right conditions.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
I had introduced this in my shaving routine and I never thought to change it. I'm thinking only around the other Weleda Lotion, I use as a pre-shave. For the cooling sensation I prefer the use of cold water and then apply my Weleda Balm. Wow!:thumbup1:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Picked this up at Whole Foods a while back. Used it a few times and it ended up getting bumped for something else (can't even remember what).

After seeing the reviews here, I pulled it out and tried it again. WOW! I didn't realize how nice this stuff is. It has become my go-to AS in the cooler months when I still want a little alcohol burn but still need a decent amount of moisturizing. It does a great job at fighting razor burn.

The smell is really nice too - very natural and a little lemony smelling.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Bar non the best balm out there. You can go to any local whole foods and ask and they will order it for you too
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I just had a bottle received from Shavemac, and first impresssion was great. You only have to use a small amount, and the refreshment from it is exceptional. The scent is very herbal, yet light and vanishes quickly.

It moisturizes great, and the cooling sensations lasts for at least an hour.

Highly recommended.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
I recently picked up a bottle of this at a trip to Europe, and I love it. There is hardly any Weleda product I don't like. In my book, this ASB is right there with Trumper's Coral Skin Food in efficacy.

I personally hate the bottle, because it is so heavy and adds to my luggage weight on trips to Europe... :biggrin:

Best - MM
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Yes It's a very nice product! Very efficient : it stops razor burns in a few seconds, the scent is really lovely and I love the blue bottle.
And It's a bio product !
Great stuff; its milky consistency makes for easy application, and it's very economical: A bottle lasts for months (and what attractive bottles they are). I use this in conjunction with Weleda cream and a/s lotion; results are quite uniformly good to superb. Razor burn is but a distant memory (and if you do have trouble, a dab of Weleda's new moisturizer should put you right). The scent is pleasant while it lasts, though I'm glad it doesn't get in the way of subsequently applied colognes etc. Just remember to shake the bottle prior to use, because oil separation does occur. - The cream and lotion seem to be more widespread, but your local Whole Foods should get this for you if they don't already carry it.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
This is without question the BEST Aftershave Balm I have ever used. And, I've tried many. Too many. The good news is, the quest for ultimate ASB is over for me.

I typically go for alcohol based after shaves, but I received this from Tom (TomH - a stellar guy) and so I've been using it this past week. This product does contain alcohol, but it is a balm and acts like it and with flying colors. Well, I am very impressed to say the least. It has an incredible "care-giving" effect to the skin. This truly is "ambrosia" for the shaven face. This has immediately become one of my favorite aftershaves, and for sure my go-to balm.

After shaving, I shake the bottle, pour some into hand and then smooth over my face. As mentioned, it does contain alcohol, but it goes on very comfortable (no burn). Although it doesn't claim a cooling sensation, it does have a cool feel upon application.

After application (you don't need much) it feels nice and moisturative to the skin. The real surprise comes later in the day...the first few times I wore this, I couldn't believe it. This product is truly miraculous. If you have razor burn/irritation as result of shaving, this will clear it up by early evening! Your skin will be very supple and soft...seriously.

Grab a bottle, you won't regret it. :thumbup:

Ingredients (INCI): Water (Aqua), Alcohol, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Glycerin, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Glyceryl Linoleate, Chamomile Recrutita (Matricaria) Extract, Commiphora Myrrha Extract, Sodium Beeswax, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Chondrus Crispus (Carrageenan), Xanthan Gum, Fragrance (Parfum)*, Limonene*, Linalool*, Benzyl Benzoate*, Geraniol*, Citral*, Farnesol*, Evernia Prunastri Extract*.

* from natural essential oils

-Ingredients are hot-linked to Weleda website-

This REVIEW is being discussed here.
Top Bottom