What's new

Walgreens Double Edge Stainless Steel Blades

Pros: Easy to find
Cons: Horrible blades
It's at Walgreens, so they're very easy to find. But they are pricey, I spent far less on my Personna, Derby, Feather and Wilkinson blades all of which provided a far superior shave than these yanking sheets of metal. I have used only a few blades from the package because I always think that there can be variable quality in a single package. Nope, they were all bad. I haven't thrown them away yet since I paid money for them, but I don't think I will ever use them again.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
1.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
1.00 star(s)
Pros: availability, American made
Cons: price, quality
Walgreen's stainless "comfort coated" double-edge safety-razor blades
Packaging has changed since the original review was posted.

These blades are manufactured by American Safety Razor in the US. They are available online and in Walgreen's stores, but the blades cost more in the stores I have visited than they do online. I was disappointed with the lack of quality and performance, especially when weighed against the high price. The same blades can be found at other stores (bearing their own logos and brand names) for 1/4 the price.

In a pinch, these blades would be acceptable. However, at this price, I would look for single-edge disposable razors if no other double-edged blades were available.

Price: $7.99 for 10 blades–$0.80 per blade. That is a lot to shell out for razor blades, especially considering their quality. Speaking of which...

Quality: Inconsistent, pitted bevels with nicks and gouges on edges.

Sharpness: Sharp enough I suppose, but it seems the sharpness is negatively impacted by overall quality of the blades.

Longevity: Each blade lasts 3 days for me.

Smoothness of Shave: Minor nicks and razor burn in 2 types of razors.

Packaging: Metal and plastic container of 10. Blades slide out of both sides (blades are not wrapped); slot for used blades in back. This system is first-rate.

Price
1.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)
The major drawback is the price. I think I paid $7 for the ten pack. I had already decided that I would never buy them again before I had arrived at the register. I've already achieved BBS with Merkur, Feather, Derby, Sword, and Shark, and they were all cheaper than the ones at Walgreens. Plus, Walgreens are made by Personna and you can buy Personnas for around $2.

The first shave with these blades is really sharp, but smooth and comfortable. The second shave is very comfortable, but I couldn't quite get BBS in the "hard to shave areas". The third shave is totally worthless. I found myself using way more strokes per pass and feeling pretty tender after the shave. I was never tempted to try a fourth. After two weeks of midweek torture shave, I decided to just get the two good shaves out of these blades and move on.

Now, there's a chance that my beard is a little stiffer than average, but I'm no Wolverine. I expect 3 shaves per blade, especially from a blade priced higher than Feather. I really think the first shave is excellent. They just cost far more than they're worth.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)
I get a BBS shave from these, and the packaging is uber sweet, but they're way overpriced and they irritate the heck out of my face.
I could be happy with these if I was just shaving WTG and XTG. It's the ATG pass that gets me with these. If the price was right, i could live with them as an only blade for a DFS. If I want BBS without irritation for an everyday shave, I have to use something else.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
These are my go to blade. What more can I say? :thumbup1:
The very good packaging -- steel blade vault on the back -- is the only real redeeming feature of these adequate, but grossly overpriced blades. I used to carry ten in my travel kit -- good enough shave, once you got used to them -- but I ultimately changed to Merkurs which oddly cost less. As others have noted, these are rebranded Personnas (although the coatings seem to vary from one chain to the next).
Price
1.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)
The price is what shocked me. Over $.50 per blade I am going to want something super special... alas that wasn't the case. My wife used the rest up on her legs... they dulled quick she said. :thumbup::thumbup:
I bought these blades at the local walgreens and paid 7.18 for a pack. The first blade was great after that it seems that ever other blade is like shaving with a spoon. I am now wait on the 7'oclock sharp edges to come in the mail.
These blades are also sold under the Meijer label, a Michigan-based chain with stores in the Midwest. A 10-pack is $3.99, and the term "Comfort Coated" is on the card.

On the back of card is a notation that "Comfort Coated" is a trademark of American Safety Razor.

Though coating makes a difference for me, it's not worth more than twice what the same blade goes for without coating.

I haven't tried these blades, but have three blades to choose from in my stash that are coated, cost the same or less than the Wal-Mart blades, and are overall a considerably better blade.
Yep, those are the same blades as those sold at Wal-Mart here for $1.54 for 10. They are labeled Personna Double Edge at Wal-Mart and are made my American Safety Razor. Looks like Walgreen's is putting their label on them and selling them at a significant markup. They aren't bad blades.
Personas? Walmart has them for $1.76/10
I believe these blades are made by American Safety Razor.
I bought a pack at a Wallgreens just to tide me over until my sampler pack arrived. What can I say, I just couldn't wait to start wet shaving. The blades met my rather low expectations, they remove facial hair. In fact they do it better than some of the multi-blade razors I've used. That being said, they do dull fairly quickly, and they do nick and tug a little, but not dangerously. There is nothing really wrong with them, but just nothing really right either. Wait, I take that back, they have the coolest packaging EVER! Nothing else comes close to how awesome the little pack is. I kept mine around for months afterwards to use as a blade safe.
Walgreens Double Edge Stainless Steel Blades
10.0 ea. Price $5.49

I picked these DE Blades from Walgreens when my new razor came in. I wasn't so sure about the Walgreens brand but it's all they had. I was very pleased with the quality. I have nothing to compare these blades to, but for my first shave with a DE razor I wasn't disappointed. The blades were very smooth on my face and im still using the same blade after a week with the same results. Walgreens is very proud of these blades though, at $5.49 for 10, I think that I could find a better blade for my money.

proxy.php

Justin
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)