What's new

Wahl self-cut clippers

Faced with the imminent retirement of my barber of the past 25 yrs. (!) I decided to try cutting my own hair. I chose the Wahl deluxe self-cut (model 79231). I reasoned that for a rookie, the reversible handle would be easier to use.

Price and construction -- $39.95 shipped from Amazon, before a $5.00 rebate coupon (available on the Wahl website). Accessories include guides (8), scissors, blade lube, cleaning brush, comb, and a semi-useless mirror. The clippers are mainly plastic -- definitely consumer, not pro, quality. There is a very good quality carrying case included.

For reference, I comb my hair straight back and let it go 2-3" before I get it cut back. I had my hair cut about a week before trying out the clippers.

After a brief run through the instructions and a look at the video on the Wahl website, I started with the biggest guide (1") and made a combing motion from front to back beginning on the top. I ended up using a no. 5, which neatened up the top -- I left the sides alone. Next time I'll probably go shorter.

Efficacy -- the clippers work as advertised, although the handle did not turn out to be a big help. I think conventional clippers would have worked just as well. Recommended, with the reservation that you can get much better quality regular clippers for a few bucks more.
Top Bottom