What's new

Vulfix 660 by Lee's Safety Razor

I've been using the Medium Finest version of this brush since I began using a DE about 4 weeks ago. Lee recommended it to me.

It's my first brush ever. So I can't compare it to others. It feels good to me, though, and it gets me plenty of lather for my 2-pass shave with both Proraso soap and KMF cream. I can make it soft or pleasantly scratchy depending on where I hold it. Pinching the bottom of the bristles gently while I lather my face extracts nice, warm, creamy lather.

It seems durable too. If any hairs have fallen out, I haven't seen them. It travels safely inside a cardboard toilet paper roller.

So thanks, Lee, for getting me off to a good start.
Formulated for Lee at Lees Razors specifically for soaps but works great with creams, also. It has become the workhorse of the stable, making lather quickly and holding lather/water well. Enough lather for 4 passes with lather left over. Is mildly scritchy, but like the feel. A great brush at only $33 at Leesrazors.com. Find my silver tip taking a backseat, lately. Highly recommended.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
Price: At under $35, I can't complain.

Quality: Top notch quality. The handle feels solid and comfortable, and I have counted exactly two hairs lost total.

Density: I put the density above my AoS pure brush, about par with the C&E brush, and not even in the same league as my simpson. For a cool hundred less than the simpson, this is expected.

Stiffness: It's a firmer brush, but it's pure badger. Honestly, I expected a bit more backbone. It has a tendency to splay out around the jawline.

Softness of tips: A prickly little bugger if you ask me. It really helps pick up a ton of soap quickly. I don't hate a scrubby brush, but it's not a soft tipped brush by any stretch.

Ergonomics: It's a good size to hold by the handle or knot. Not too big or small either way. Decent weight and good shape to the handle provide better feeling than a lot of hollow handles. Overall it feels really nice in the hand.

Latherability: As stated, this thing really picks up a boatload of soap quickly. It holds a good amount of water and lathers very quickly. This is where the brush earns it's keep. A superb latherer.

Overall: A good buy for a "soaper". It really lathers up a storm. A bit prickly and a bit floppy for my standards, but I am spoiled rotten by more expensive brushes. At the $30-$35 range, it works a little better than the C&E BBB with soaps with the sacrifice of a little softness.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
2.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
This brush compares to the Crabtree & Evelyn Best Badger Brush in both price and size but not hair grade. The Vulfix 660 is not as densely packed nor is it as soft on the face. However, it is just as efficient at creating lather from soap or cream. This brush is touted as being designed for soaps and it did a great job creating lather on my face or in a bowl. I really can’t comment if it is the end all be all soap brush, but is does equal the C&E BBB in my opinion. I have other brushes that are larger and I have found that this “medium” size brush is best for my face and lathering technique (actually, still perfecting my face lathering ability).

Price: Can’t beat the price $33.00 for the medium pure.

Quality: As for quality, the injection molded handle is nothing special and can be seen as a weakness for some. The C&E BBB’s handle feels heavier and is of higher quality. For me, however, the handle is fine as it serves it’s purpose. It is easily graspable, fits in my hand and doesn’t slip out of my fingers. In the first lathering, it lost about 15 hairs and has not lost any since.

Density: The C&E BBB is slightly more packed but the Vulfix 660 is by no means sparse (see pics). It holds plenty of water and enough lather for 3 full passes (the way I make lather anyway YMMV).

Stiffness: the pure hair sufficiently stiff. The Vulfix 660 is, perhaps, a “bit” more floppy than the C&E BBB but only slightly. The hairs do “splay” out a bit when soaking in water when pressed harshly against the face.

Softness of tips: The pure badger tips are not that soft and in fact, are on the scratchy side. They are not as scratchy as the Vulfix 1000 in best that I have (I can’t face lather with the Vulfix 1000 at all as it leaves my face red).

Ergonomics: The brush fits in my hand well, it easily graspable and doesn’t slip from my fingers. The medium size is perfect for my average sized face.

Latherability: In a lather comparison, I was able to face lather faster with the Vulfix 660 than the C&E BBB. The quality of the lather was the same (at least to me) and they each held about the same about of lather. The Vulfix 660 edges out over the C&E BBB on ease to create lather.

Overall: I find the brush a pleasant and easy brush to use. It makes lather from soap really well (better and easier/quicker than my Shavemac 25 mm silver tip or my 2006 B&B sliver tip) and is also good with cream. All things considered, it will be difficult to decide each morning between the C&E BBB and the Vulfix 660 medium pure. Since it seems to make lather a bit quicker than my other brushes, it has been the one I’ve reached for since I received it.

Dicussion Thread
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips