What's new

Vulfix 2189 boar travel brush

I think this is the brush that ends my search for the perfect face-latherer. It is a small boar with a 47mm loft, a 21mm knot and a total height of 85mm. It is the kind of size I prefer for face lathering; any boar over 50mm seems to big for that because they splay too much and massage too little.

It comes in a perfectly fitting travel container, packed in a nice cardboard box. The same brush is also available in a pure and best badger. At the current rate this beauty set me back $25 which is not cheap for a boar but this brush is all about quality. The handle is lathe-turned from the same kind of resin that is used for the Vulfix-badgers and the Simpsons, fits my hand perfectly and makes it a real classy brush. To tell you the truth; the handle was the main reason to spend my money on this brush since my other Vulfix boar (#9) is not my fav.

The break-in is (after 50-75 uses) still going on and the hairs are among the thinnest boars I have seen and the knot is rather dense, but not overly packed. Right out of the box it was softer than my Omegas when new but after all its use still most hairs haven't split and the knot is hardly wider than before its first use. It only shed a couple of hairs and all this together make me confident that this brush has a long expectation of life.

It has as expected no problems with loading hard soaps nor with holding lather for 3+ passes. Due to its size you put the lather exactly were you want it and it gives up your lather easy enough so there is no need to use soap for two or more shaves as with some other brushes. Because the hairs are so thin it has both backbone but also splay in a way I was not used to with my Omegas and other boars.

It is meant as a travel brush but I bought it for everyday use and the extremely slow break-in process makes it maybe less suitable for a travel brush unless you use it at home first.

I am most happy that Vulfix made this boar with a classic handle of the same quality as used in badger brushes. You pay some more of course but though I like boars usually over badgers I envied the quality handles a lot.

I liked this brush so much that I bought me a spare just before (finally) writing this review. Just to be sure...:blush:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)