What's new

Vulfix #1000/1001

This was also my very first badger brush (pure grey badger), and I must say, it has done me a fine job. I still use it in my rotation from time to time for soaps like EJ. It is a fine little face-latherer as the scratchiness of the tips fades as you break the brush in. You do need a little practice to find the right product-water ratio, as it is not a dense brush by all means, so it does not retain a lot of water. However, once you hit that sweet spot, it does a marvellous job of both creating lather and exfoliating your skin.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
2.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
I like to use this with mwf.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
Good brush. Bought it as my starter and still use it 90% of the time. After break in the tips are soft and not very scratchy on the face. Very easy to lather with and not a lather hog so to speak. Only lost ~5 hairs in 7 months so that is a huge plus. Very good brush for the money
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
2.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
2.00 star(s)
Purchased the 1000a online as my first-ever brush. Even though I have nothing to compare it against, I'm pretty disappointed. I rushed out and got this in my haste to put a den together and I've never had a bigger case of buyer's remorse. Should have done my homework!

There's no heft to this brush, and the bristle density is pretty poor. The bristles have a decent consistency - not scratchy or floppy, I guess, but I wholeheartedly agree with the OP's assessment of this brush's water-holding capabilities. It builds lather just fine, but the lather seems to dry out by my third pass, and I hate having to constantly add water to my lather to compensate.

All in all, I'll probably keep this as a travel brush once I get my new Savile Row. If you're new like myself, I'd look elsewhere for a beginner brush - you could probably do better for the price.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Density
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
2.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
2.00 star(s)
Not a bad brush for badger hair, but a bit too expensive for the quality you get. I found the plastic handle a bit dissapointing...not well finished. The parting lines of the injection mold manufacturing process were very visable which makes the whole thing look cheap. Look into Omega brushes for higher workmanship and lower pricing.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Density
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
2.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
I'm guessing this is the older version of the Vulfix 1000A they are selling now since it's the entry level brush? Anyway, that's the brush I bought and it's not the most dense thing in the world but it's a very soft brush that lathers well so perhaps the hair quality has gone up a bit. The older pictures of this brush show a very dark bristled brush but my 1000A is light colored with the similar banding as is seen on the best badger brushes and not at all like the above picture.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
2.00 star(s)
This was my first badger brush and I'll admit, I got it because of the price. Not knowing any better, I thought this brush was just fine for creams and good for soaps. The tips are very scratch and the brush hold enough water (though it is NOT a water hog by any means) to make a nice later. You'll have to work it a bit, but the lather will come. I didn't enjoy face lathering with this brush as it really irritated my face.

The fit and finish are just OK with this brush. The handle is injection molded, that is nothing special and the markings on my brush all wore a way within 3 months. It lost your standard 10-15 hairs but no more than that.

This brush is now my travel brush for creams.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
2.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
The Vulfix #1000 brush is one of the least expensive badger brushes I've come across. If you are a beginner, this is a good place to start.

I actually began with a Crabtree & Evelyn Best Badger brush, and it is my only other reference point for badger brushes. But both are beginner brushes and are very similar.

You'll see the C&E brush is often called "scritchy" which I would agree with. The Vulfix brush is less so, though still a bit "scritchy." Both brushes are best badger, though I have found the hair to be very different. The C&E brush is more stiff than the Vulfix, which is very soft.

I have used the C&E brush for several months with good results, but began using the Vulfix after receiving it in a starter kit with the Merkur HD and stand for Christmas.

The Vulfix brush is on the small side, but makes enough lather for more passes than I ever need, but I have to add a lot of water to it throughout the shave to keep the lather rich and moist. I have the same trouble with the C&E brush, but the Vulfix brush seems to need even more water than the C&E brush.

But if you're looking for a budget brush to begin with, this is a good one. I will likely upgrade at some point, but I am satisfied with this brush and hope to perfect my technique with it before making an upgrade.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)