What's new

Vi-John Mentholated Shaving Cream

Pros: Very good and stable lather and moisturises nicely
Cons: none
It is one of the most popular creams; I havent ever seen an ad of it in India, but there is one in literally every barber shop or saloon I have visited. The lather is great provides a nice glide, awfuly stable and moisturises nicely. Not a big fan of the scent as it reminds me of a braber shop, but that is just me.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Subtle musk scent, top notch shave
Cons: Only seems to be available in piddly 30ml tubes
I'm reviewing the New Vi-John regular cream with Tea Tree Oil.

The price is a bit stiff AUD $9.45 for 3x30ml tubes, but there is "free shipping". So I guess you're really only paying about AUD $4 - $5 for the product. Not great, but not bad either.

Quality is very good, I don't think they've taken any short cuts in the ingredients at all.

The scent is pleasant, it has a slight musky smell which doesn't mask the medicinal smell of the Tea Tree oil. They work well together and I rather like it, but YMMV.

Latherability is excellent, I can't say much more than that.

Efficacy is also excellent. I get a smooth, well cushioned and very close shave. Minimal nicks, rash or burn, this cream really does protect the skin. Maybe the Tea Tree oil has something to do with how calm my delicate hide feels post shave, especially around the sensitive neck area.

Moisturising is great, the cream contains lanolin and glycerine so you'd expect to feel all soft and moisturised.

The packaging is also well thought out. It's an attractive plastic tube, sort of stylish and easy to get the cream out of.

Overall this is a cream that will not disappoint, definitely worth a look on eBay for a tube or two.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Wow.. what are the odds that a company called "Vi-John" exists in the same world that a company called "Vi-Jon" and that they both manufacture shaving related items?? :blink: (whatever the case, I want to try this stuff!!)
Vi-John Shaving Cream claims on the tube to be Asia's #1 shave cream. And since this little gem is likely in every barber's kit in India -- from village shops to roadside stalls to the steps of the Ganges bathing ghats -- I'm inclined to believe it. There are three varities: regular, mentholated, and lime. For a shockingly cheap price you get a cream that punches with the big boys Godrej-style, enriched with glycerin, allantoin, lanolin, coconut acid, and Vitamin E.

Price: Around $3 for a 125ml tube. Can't do much better than that.

Quality: Good enough. I can't fault it in any way, really.

Scent: Weird. Think of an incense stick and that's the scent of this stuff. People who enjoy florals might find it pleasant, but if you don't care for sharp, pungent aromas you'll have to get used to it. It's more "maharishi" than "maharaja."

Latherability:` Great. Equal to Godrej and just a notch below the 3T's.

Efficacy: Very effective cream. Voluminous, protective, and slick. Curiously, though, the cooling effect from the menthol is very light. It's no face-freezer along the lines of Proraso or Godrej Menthol Mist; more like a mild tingle.

Moisturizing Properties: Perfect.

Overall a great cream worth checking out.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)