What's new

VDH boar brush

Pricewise, this really is a tough brush to beat. This was the first brush I ever used until I got the Omega 11047, a boar/badger mix. That said, I still come back to this ugly-as-sin VDH boar.

I got this brush in the VDH starter kit along with a tub of Mama Bear's Unscented as a birthday gift from SWMBO. Opening the box with this brush I noticed a faint odor, but from reading about it I knew to expect it. People had said to soak boar brushes in hot water for a few minutes, so I did while I was in the shower. When I took it out of the water and shook it off, the smell of it hit me like a sledgehammer. Good galloping god was it awful! I have smelled few smells quite like that. Fortunately that, um, "potent" smell went away after a few uses, otherwise things would have gone quite differently.

After the breaking-in period this brush performed like a champ! It lathers like there's no tomorrow, and is nicely scrubby with a good backbone. It is still in my rotation and stands up nicely to the more expensive competitors. It won't win any beauty contests, but this is a brush that definitely proves it's what's on the inside that counts.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Cheap, Easy to find
Cons: Sheds a bunch at first
Well this was my second brush after my Burma Shave just quit on me. I've had this brush now for a couple of years. While new to DE shaving and all the swag that goes along with it, I have used a brush and shaving soap almost since I started shaving. Colgate soap, coffee mug and brush and I was off and running! I've had this particular brush for a couple of years now and am quite happy with it. It has done everything I've asked of it. It is stiff without being too stiff or too soft. I work outside so I guess I got the weathered face thing going on. The one complaint I have about this brush is amount of bristles it sheds when new. They would get stuck in my razors all the time. Clog city on a Schick Slim Twin. Now that I have "discovered" de shaving, I must say that some of the price asked for the gear are appalling! Sure, there are nicer brushes out there than this one but over $200 nice? Nope, me and old faithful will keep truckin' on.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Durable, Comfortable, Great Performer
Cons: Looks like Arse!!
I got this brush PIF'd to me in my first BST transaction. I must say, it has been a fine introduction to wet shaving for me. I have been using it consistently, and it has been a fine performer. It is certainly not the best looking brush I have seen. I haven't used anything better, but this brush has turned me on to the WS world, and I look forward to experiencing the superior quality brushes I see raved about. Bristle density could be thicker, but not to the point that I have experienced a problem with performance.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
2.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
I also got this brush along with the bowl and cake of soap for $9.99 at Rite Aid. First brush and I think it is a great brush to learn with. It did shed a few bristles the first several uses but that seems to have let up for now. It works and showed me that a brush is the only way to apply Cade shave cream.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
I also picked up the kit from Walmart. Brush/bowl/soap for just under $8. I now know that it's a decent value for a noob, and gives you a baseline by which to compare future experiences.

I'm happy with it for now, but I've found my father's old EverReady brush, and intend to replace the bristles in the near future.
I am new to wet shaving, and this is my first brush. I have a Edwin Jagger Best Badger on order, and I couldn't wait for my brush to come in. I bought this at the BX or PX for you Army folk, and paid only $4.45. Because I don't have shaving soap, I used a bar of Dial soap that I shoved into a coffee mug. After allowing my brush to soak while I took a shower, I swirled up a pretty good lather. I also haven't received my DE Mekur 1904 in yet, so I used a new disposable, and the razor glided smoothly across my face wtg, and I lathered up again atg. So, what's my experience with the VDH Boar you ask?

Price: Great
Quality: I gave it a 7 because I'm new to it, but I enjoyed the feeling.
Density: very dense, lost some bristles
Stiffness: very stiff, but after a good soak, it was not too stiff
Softness: middle of the road, but I'm sure I'll change my mind when I use my Best Badger
Ergo: It handles well in my hand
Lath: I had no issues...it lathered well
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
2.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
This brush is my least favorite of all the 9 brushes I have. Having said that, I don't have any other brushes as cheap as this brush. I have a story to tell about this brush that may help explain why I recommend this brush with some qualifications. My brother-in-law was not acclimated to wet shaving the way most of us are. I gave him a starter kit that included this brush. He really got into wet shaving but shortly thereafter complained that the brush was losing its bristles at an alarming rate. To help him out I got him some other brushes for various holidays and suggested that he give the VDH brush a rest between use. Keep in mind that these brushes, just like the high end brushes, use a glue to keep the brush fibers in the knot. The VDH brush seems to have a problem keeping the hair intact if the brush is wet a great deal of the time. Let the poor, little, cheap brush rest! I rarely use this brush anymore unless I am using KMF patachoie (sp?). The scent is so intense and overpowering that it deserves a seperate brush. As an aside, I much prefer the BurmaShave brush for a cheap brush. I bought five of these Burmashave brushes for travel. If I left the brush in a hotel room I wouldn't feel too bad and it is a much better brush for about the same $.
ive been using the vdh boar brush for about a year now. exclusively. i calmly await the arrival of my first badger brush, however, i have no intensions of discarding the one i already have. see, im not a big fan of spending money to try something new only to find that i prefer something else, and strongly adhere to the idea that more expensive does not always equate better. i like my vdh. its kinda stiff, and i can scrub my face with it. i don't think it is "prickly" and i honestly wonder just how tender everyones face is who seems think that these are god awful. granted, it gets an F- in the looks department maybe i will continue to use this brush on a regular basis and only use the badger for showcase purposes :p
I got one of these at Walmart with a dish and soap for $12. Great deal and I would recommend to most who are starting off and don't want to order online.
I found it to do a good job lathering and very scrubby. The hairs are not consistent so you end up with some that are scratchy. I guess these are fillers and remind you that this is a sub $5 brush.

Good brush for the money and convenience of finding it at your local brick and mortar. But spend the $15 bucks and get yourself an Omega boar or a Tweezerman badger.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
2.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
I picked one of these up at the PX . Paid all of $4.45 and no tax .

Must say it's not a looker but for the price I don't gripe at all . This brush works great .

I'd say if you are looking for a medium action brush this is it . What I mean is the silvertips are all ultra soft and very mushy on the face . Have no scrubbing action but hold a lot of soap which is good . Standard boar seems scratchy with lots of scrubbing action . This VDH IMO falls nicely in the middle . Actually was what I was looking for in a brush . Just lucked out and found someting I actually like for under $5.00 .

Yes it does shed a few hairs at first . Most all brushes do . Just keep using it and it will stop . Boar brushes like a good break in , badgers also . Boars only get better with use .

cityjim
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips