What's new

Van Der Hagen - Select Shaving Soap

Item Description

I cant believe no one has reviewed this soap yet. This is the fourth soap I have tried and I have to say I am pretty impressed. It lathers up very nicely with little effort. You dont need to have a good technique to get a good shave out of this soap. Excellent soap with a price to match. Can be found at many eckerds and rite aids for around 2.00 a puck. Also it melts in the microwave so you can pour it to fit into your mug. I think that this soap is ideal for beginners and is a much better "bargain" than Williams. Has a slight scent of the cologne Grey Flannel which goes away when you rinse it off. Very slick and lubricating. :thumbup1:

Latest reviews

Pros: Available at Walmart
Cons: None
A good shaving soap, at a good price. It gives a good lather with more than adequate slickness.

I added Old Spice cologne to my puck to give it a little scent.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Easy lather, Very slick!
Cons: None
Its soap like this that makes me question why Id ever want to pay more that $2 for a cake of any other soap. For $2 at any rite-aid i can pick up a great smelling, easy to lather and very slick soap. I have tried all 3 vdh soaps, and noticed this one actually smells a tad better than the other 2. They are all pretty much equal performers, so i almost always go for the select.

I have lots of other soaps/creams, but man, when i use this stuff it always makes me wonder why i paid more for my other stuff!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Low cost
Cons: Poor lather
Worst lather I have experienced. I used both a stiff boar brush and a boar that has softened considerably and was unable to produce enough lather for a second pass. The lather was decidedly NOT rich or creamy, but only soapy.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
0.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)