What's new

Van Der Hagen Luxury Scented Soap

Pros: Nice lather, slickness, and scent.
Cons: Not a fan of the plastic tub container it comes in.
This was the very first soap I used when I started DE shaving. The scent is very unique to me I guess for that reason. It's very unmistakable in a good way. I find it easy to lather and the slickness is great. It's a hard soap and after trying softer soaps I find that i actually prefer hard soaps. The only negative for me is the plastic tub the puck comes in. I find it a bit clumsy to lather from so I usually put it in a bowl. Wish it came in a container more similar to Arko but this certainly isn't a showstopper. It's a great soap at a great price.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Available everywhere, Nice scent, thick lather, nice protection to the skin with ATG shaving, cheap
Cons: None
I'm new to de shaving and this came with a kit that I had purchased to get started. I've used a few other shave soaps before I got started with de shaving, and I found that this soap works rather well for me.

The scent is very pleasant.... its hard to describe, really. It says on the back of the box that it has shea butter and mango butter, so I guess that the combinations together create a really unique smell...neither of the two main scents were overpowering.

I like the way this soap lathers....it isn't to hard to get a nice, thick lather, and it feels like it gives nice protection to the skin.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Easy to find, inexpensive, and just plain works
Cons: none
Because I'm lazy and for some reason wouldn't order shaving soap off the internet I've been using this since it came out a year or so ago. Has been my go to soap until recently when I broke down and ordered some Mickey Lee and some Proraso, which are better scent and moisturizing wise but not by too much! This newer Luxury offering is some plain'ol good shaving soap!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: scent lather slickness
Cons: can dry skin after like most cheap soaps
Love this soap, cheap, locally available, Walmart, target, cvs, amazon and many others. Slick protective lather is so easy. A little goes a long way. I love the scent. Probably my favorite scent of all soaps. You can't go wrong. I have drawers full or soaps and creams, I always go back to the vdh luxury soap!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
Pros: good smell, lathers easily, slick shave
Cons: none
I'm mostly used to shaving with soaps because I like the thick lather that they create and they're easy to get a good shave with. I saw it at WalMart so I figured I would pick some up and try it out.

Very easy to get a good lather with and the shave was great. I also thought the scent was wonderful as well. I remember buying some vanderhagen a while ago, different stuff completely. This stuff is amazing. I hope they keep stocking it locally as it's some really good stuff.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Nice scent,can be purchased anywhere
The lather is okay . Scent is light and refreshing
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
It looks like I need to try this product again. I have been using Van Der Hagen products ever since I resumed wet shaving 4-5 years ago. I had always used the Deluxe (I call it the Regular VDH), because that's all that was offered at my local Walmart, and it was far superior to Williams. Then about a year ago I began noticing the new Luxury VDH on the shelf where the Deluxe used to be. I tried it, and didn't really notice any difference in lathering or cushion. So I figured they were just offering another choice in a bigger bar and at a higher price. I found the Deluxe at my local Walgreen's and continued to buy
it there. But, due to these reviews, I think I need to revisit the VDH Luxury offering. I may be missing out on something. I just purchased a new, better quality badger brush, and have noticed getting a better quality lather with it, so maybe the Luxury will be even better! I'll add a review after I give it a try.......!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Easy to lather, Very slick, Consistent every time
I really grew to like the Van Der Hagen Luxury shave soap. After purchasing it at a local store I used it 6 days a week until the puck was gone (51 shaves) and was very impressed. The scent is slight but very clean smelling to me. I used it face lathering directly from a mug using a Vie-Long horse hair brush and got very consistent results. I must say it is the slickest and most moisturizing soap I have used. My face always feels smooth and clean after using this. Highly recommended product, I don't know why it doesn't get more respect. I am looking forward to getting back to this soap. I could use this as my one and only and be a happy shaver.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Easy thick lather, smooth shave.
Cons: Contains harsh synthetic detergents (SLS)
A little on the expensive for Van Der Hagen. But it's a decent shave soap, makes for an easy thick lather, and provides a smooth glide for the blade. My only problem is that it contains some synthetic ingredients like Sodium Laureth Sulfate. While the dangers of SLS have been somewhat exaggerated by the health food industry, it's still a harsh synthetic detergent that can be drying to the skin. I would not use this soap in the winter or in a dry climate unless I had to. Naturally, soaps shouldn't contain SLS since they should lather on their own. That makes Van Der Hagen's credibility as a real "soap" somewhat questionable. Overall though, a good product when it comes down to practicality.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Low price, thick lather, good lubricity
Cons: The smell won't appeal to those who love bay rum
I will start by saying I am still a newbie to wet shaving and double DE razors, but I am sold on this product. Got this as part of the VDH luxury shave kit, but the pucks are right next to where I got the kit, so I have a price reference.

The lather builds rather quickly, which judging from reviews, is not normal, and it almost builds too quickly. The lather goes on thick, as long as water isn't overused, and the lubrication qualities of this are quite good. I can go back on a small touch up WTG or ATG without relathering and not suffer any negative effects. I have noticed the moisturizing breaking down if I leave it on my face for a fairly long time, but it's more than long enough for the shave. I rely on my post shave for long-term moisturization. It won't appeal to those sold on bay rum products, but I find the scent good overall and not overkill like I feared it would be. I scored it below 10 on all but price because I lack a comparison for reference. For the price and performance though, I'm not tempted to try much else.

Wal-Mart SuperCenters carry these for $3.50 a puck, which is incredibly cheap for a very effective product, and they undercut Amazon by a healthy margin on all VDH products. If you have relatively easy access to Wal-Mart, which is true in the Midwest, then the soap is also very accessible.

For reference sake, I have a Merkur 34c (still don't have a blade of choice yet, but have been using Derbys and Sharks), and post-shave includes Witch Hazel (86%) and Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Cost Effective, Does Slick your face pretty well
Cons: Doesn't seem to produce as nice a lather as I'd like.
I will say this was difficult, this soap is all over on the ratings. It will get the job done, but you're gonna have to put some elbow grease into it. I find the most luck if I put a little hot water on top of the puck for about 3-5 minutes towards the end of soaking my brush. Some of it is because I have a little hard water, but not that bad. It is a very hard soap. It likes you to really load up the brush and use a lot of water to get a decent lather. As for the scent. There really isn't too much of one. A very light "soapy" scent for lack of a better term almost scentless. I will say for as much trouble as it is it does slick your face really really well. You just don't get as much cushiony lather and that can cause some irritation. I suppose I'd recommend it as a backup soap to an experienced shaver who knows how to lather properly. I see a lot of bad reviews of guys who just don't know what they're doing. Maybe it will work good with a safety razor but it falls somewhat short for a straight razor.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Lather
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Lather, Lubercation, Cushion and ease of Glide aspects.
Cons: None Noticed
Price: Rating 9
Moderately priced at $9.74 for 3 pucks plus shipping.
Quality: Rating 10
These very light white color pucks are 2 ¾ inches in diameter across, 1 inch in depth and weigh approximately 3 ½ ounces each (much bigger than the Deluxe [by 1oz in weigh]). "These hypoallergenic shave soaps are produced one small batch at a time using a unique kettle process. Each shave soap contains over 10% glycerin as well as emollient shea, mango & cocoa butter to help soften the beard and improve razor glide for a close, comfortable shave that leaves skin feeling soft and smooth".
The three butters produces an incredible lather and each puck is made with high quality ingredients...no harsh chemicals to irritate my face.
Scent: Rating: 8
Faint 'fresh' and floral scent.
Lather: Rating 10
Wow!!! This Soap really generates a lot of incredible lather and this lather is nice and thick. Water retention of this Soap is wonderful and this soap produces a rich, lightly scented and dense 'stiff peak' lather. Here is my drying test (got this idea from Scotto's past post), I lather my face and leave it on for at least 10 minutes and "hey, hey, hey", no problem with the lather drying out on my face.
Efficacy: Rating 10
Throughout the shave, the lather provided a lot of cushion and glide. I just have to say that this is the best shaving soap that I've ever tried.
This Soap lathers so easy and quickly and seems like it never dries out and doesn't dry out my face either. I find that I get a much closer shave and a better lather with Luxury's vs. Deluxe's. Also, this soap creates a slick lather which 'glides' my Merkur Razors (23C & 38C using Voskhod blades), over my skin with hardly any nicks!
Moisturizing: Rating 9
Again, no drying of my face at all. Skin felt smooth and hydrated and after my shave, I feel very 'pampered'. I really :001_tt1: this Soap (what a change from using Deluxe), and my face is softer and smoother.
In closing and in my opinion...it is the best Shave Soap for your money and your face. :thumbsup:
:straight: “Happiness is the [shaving soap]...that sweeps away the cobwebs of your heart”. Mort Walker
P.S. Also, I add 10 drops of glycerine per puck (and about 10 drops of Clubman Citrus Musk [fortified with Royal Lymes]), before I melt it (nuke), for 'Überlather', extra lubercation, cushion, glide and scent .
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: value, scent, lots of slick lather
Cons: not the most moisturizing - but not bad either
This is a great soap. Much better than deluxe. Like others have said, it does smell a bit like cucumber, I can also smell the mango. My gf LOVES the scent. Lots of slick lather. Best glycerin soap I've used to date. this will stay in my rotation. Highly recommend you try it.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Very slick, high volume lather
I've used lots of domestically available shaving soaps, and this is the best I've ever used. Great lubrication and lather. I'm not crazy about the scent -- it's light, somewhat floral -- but it's not bad. I can get mine from a local barber shop, two for $10. But here's an online source, $5.99 each, but free shipping in the U. S. http://www.razorsdirect.com/shavingsoap.html
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Slick, easy to lather
I bought this soap as part of the Luxury set when it was first offered on Amazon. Nice set by the way. But as for the soap, this is an excellent soap. VDH is known for the high quality of it's shave soaps. This one lathers easy providing a slick and lubricating lather for the razor. And it's also moisturizing too. It performs with the best of them. Just not all that hot on the scent per se. Cucumber is fine I guess, but bay rum would have been better. This is one of those soaps that if this was all you had, you could be happy with it.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
I picked this from Amazon as part of the VDH Luxury kit (included brush, stand, soap and bowl).

My only complaint about the soap is that, while shaving, the areas where I have already shaved in a pass are quick to get sticky. I didn’t cut myself, but I can see where that could happen if you’re perhaps a bit careless with your technique.

I like the light fresh/cucumber scent. The soap easily makes enough lather for 3+ passes.

**pricing remarks removed...thx for the correction joshgambit
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Love this stuff!

Lathers well, very slick and cushiony, and hangs in there for 3+ passes.

Count me in as not thrilled with the price increase on Amazon, but it's still a great soap. :thumbup1:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
It is the slickest lather I have ever put on my face! No weepers and my face felt like I had done one of those facial treatments on it.

It is a hard puck but it fits in a Old Spice Mug with no problem.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
I love this soap. I was walking in downtown Ames (Iowa) with my daughter. She wanted to go down one more block, so I humored her. Lo and Behold! The first store we see? The Groom Room. And what do I see on the shelf??

Van Der Hagen products! The owners were quick to point out that the Luxury (Scented and Unscented) are very good quality products. I bought a puck of the scented.

That night, shaving was a new experience! My Gillette Ball End Tech with a Dorco 301 was ready to go. This soap lathers VERY quickly. The scent is different from the "Deluxe" line from VDH. Good, but different. It's not overpowering, either.

I didn't have to work the puck very long to get a lot of good lather. I usually use Shave Secret on my face but decided to just try the soap by itself. WOW! Nice and slick, wonderful lather.

For the price, this stuff can't be beat. I'm also VERY lucky to be somewhere close that I can actually buy this local!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Price:
Amazon.com keeps screwing with the price on this soap. It was about $9.99 for a 3 pack on pre-order, now its up to $14.51 for a 3 pack ($4.84/puck). For that price it might not be worth it since this is still a basic/economy soap. Hopefully they will lower the price so its closer to the VDH Deluxe price.

Quality:
Very good quality soap. It does tend to lather very quickly, but it also seems like it might not last that long because it dissolves more quickly when wet or when the brush is working on it than other soaps I've used.

Scent:
Not too big on the scent. Its kind of reminds me of an experiment that I did where I melted down an unscented puck of soap and added aftershave/cologne to add some scent. They could have done a better job on the scent.

Lather:
Wow, the lather just explodes when loading the brush, and very quickly at that. You do not need to have a lot of water in your brush, use less than normal or you will make a bowl of lather rather than loading.

Moisturizing:
My skin felt so nice after my shave. It was smooth and felt hydrated.

This soap will give some serious competition to some of the other brands.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)