What's new

van der Hagen - Glycerin

Pros: Price, scent, lather, slickness, everything.
Cons: Wish it was a bigger puck.
I have used several of the super popular soaps, and this out does most of them. Slickness is amazing, super yogurty lather, I personally love the scent, and it leaves the face soft and moisturized afterwards. People just need to get their noses out of the air. Although I will say the VDH luxury soaps are junk for me, but this glycerin puck is amazing.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Very Smooth shave
Cons: Have not found for sale in Canada
Cannot believe how great a product this is. I had read a few postings on it where people claimed it was hard to lather it up...not so at all. A few swishes with the badger brush, and lots of lather. The glycerin makes for a very smooth shave and leaves your skin moisturized.

Bought 2 pucks of this at $2.00 a piece..I have not yet found it for sale in Canada, so picked it up in the US at a Walgreens store. Wish I had picked up a few more, but I could easily see this becoming my soap of choice.

Highly recommended.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Van Der Hagen-Glycerin soap is good soap,i whip up a lather and transfer it to my lather bowl and add three drops of "Shave Secret" to the bowl and whip it up some more,it makes the blade glide on my face.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: treats your face right
Cons: None
I been using all the VDH line and this one works just as good as the rest except I love the Deluxe and Luxury VDH soaps. I use this one when I have some sunburn or I have had some weepers or nics etc.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Lather
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
This is my go to soap. It is cheap and does a great job.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
This is my go to soap also.

After 50 years of mostly Williams and cartridges, I discovered the whole wet shaving as a hobby movement. I now have lots of razors, brushes and soaps, to chose from, but I probably use Van der Hagen Glycerin 90% of the time. It is in my mug, everything else is in a tin, box or tube. It lathers great, cost very little, last a long time, and does not have a great deal of fragrance, which suites me fine. While I do use after shaves, I am happy that the rest of my kit has very little fragrance.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I added this to an online order to qualify for free shipping, figuring it wouldn't hurt my wallet if I didn't like it.

Much to my surprise, this is an excellent soap. The charming packaging and discreet scent make for a uniquely old-school shave. The lather is slick and creamy, though Tabac beats it by a close margin. However, its moisturizing properties far surpass those of Tabac on my face. The scent is nothing to scream about, but I do find it comforting and appreciate the fact that it doesn't irritate my skin or overwhelm my nostrils. I melted the puck into my clay shaving mug, adding a few drops of Nancy Boy Signature essential oil to spruce it up a bit.

The best part is, this stuff is incredibly cheap and accessible. Part of its low cost comes from the fact that it uses the detergent Sodium Laureth Sulfate in place of natural soap. I have had skin reactions to SLS in the past with certain body washes, but not with this shave soap. It is exceedingly mild and kind to my face. A newbie would do well to give this soap a try. For the price, it simply can't be beaten.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I love the VDH!

I haven't given it a 10 in all the categories because in my mind 10 is perfection.

Price is great, but there are still cheaper soaps so no 10 there.

Everything else about the soap is high scoring because this soap does so well. I have no problems whipping up an uberlather with it. I don't find it particularly moisturinzing, but what I find is that it is not stripping, so marks there.

Slick, leaves me feeling clean and really lets my straight glide across the face.

Recommended to have in the rotation.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
This was the first soap I purchased when I started DE shaving. Because I couldn't get a good lather with it my first few times using a brush, I set it aside. I have now gone back to it after using WAAAYYY more expensive products. I can honestly say this shave soap works as well or better than the AOS, C&E and Proraso that I own. It definately feels better on my skin after the shave.

The scent isn't amazing but it's subtle and clean. I will be stocking this for as long as it's around. I hope our local stores never take it off the shelves!!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
This is an OK soap -just not my favourite. I find it a bit drying. That said, the lather is plentiful, albeit a bit airy. For the price it is a good place to start.

For my fellow Canucks - there is a plentiful supply of this soap, and other VDH products at the Guardian Drug Store on Roncesvalles Ave in Toronto.

Happy Shaving!
good stuff
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
For less than 2 bucks a puck, this stuff is unbeatable. If you haven't tried it already, you owe it to yourself to get a puck.
VDH Glycerine provides plenty of creamy lather which lubricates your face so well the blade just glides effortlessly whether you use a DE or a straight. This soap is not drying and is extremely comfortable (although a shea butter based soap I have tried can dethrone it's moisturizing properties). For the record, the lather also lasts, and lasts.
The only knock I have on VDH Glycerine is the scent. When I open my normally closed soap dish, the scent is a bit artificial, but as soon as I've started building lather in my bowl and when I put it on my face, the scent quickly fades and it just smells like soap (but not nasty soap, clean wholesome soap). If you're okay with a mostly unscented soap, you will love this stuff.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
The best part of this soap is the bowl it comes with at Bed Bath and Beyond.
This is my "go to" soap. I don't see the need to use anything else when this works as well as it does. Recently purchased a 12 pack from @mazon, and at $1.27 per puck, can't be beat!

I melted some into a ziploc bowl with a few splashes of Aqua Velva and man does that work well!

Buy this soap, you will no be disappointed!
This is a good soap for the price, not as nice as the Deluxe, but better than the Select. For me, this stuff is slick! I don't get as thick of a lather that gives me much cushion like I do with the Deluxe or with the KMF creams, but this stuff does give me a very slick lather that makes up for the lack of cushion in my book.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
This was my first shave soap purchase and I always keep some around. Only a $1.39 at my local HEB grocery. I love the scent, though I often end up mixing in creams to make super lather, especially with a few creams which I can't seem to get to lather well at all.
I melt this into a ziploc container and take it with me when I travel.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I use this in rotation with the deluxe version. I find that if I've had a bad shave the day before, I use this soap instead of the deluxe. It takes a bit more to work it into a lather but not much more. Keeps is moisture throughout the shave and rinses clean. There isn't a scent to it.

The only problem I have with the VDH glycerin is that it seems harder to find locally. The deluxe is everywhere for under $2 but the glycerin is only in one store where I live and I pay just over $2 for it (when they have it in stock!)

Melts easy and just plain works.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
I don't have much to say that hasn't been said already but, I really like VDH soaps. I think the deluxe is slicker by a noticable margin. The deluxe also leaves my face feeling softer for some reason. If Walgreens only had the glycerine soap, though, I would still buy it rather than go screaming into the night. Both by the way are far superior to Williams. One puck will last me about six weeks. They are cheap, easily found at Walgreens, have a light pleasing scent and really protect your face from the razor.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
I tend to agree with most of the above posts, however, I am not thrilled with this soap as some others seem to be. Going through the ratings catagories, the price is very fair, however, you will go through a puck rather quickly. The quality issue ties in here. I can get five times the number of shaves out of a SCS soap than I can this VDH soap. The scent is unremarkable and neutral. Lathering is my beef with this soap. I judge a soap lather on a number of factors. First, is it thick enough and does it provide a cushion for the face; second, does it accomplish the first goal while retaining water well; and, third, does it allow the blade to glide without drag/skipping and still leave a moist follow-up. With the VDH (not the deluxe) the lather is thick and cushiony BUT it does not hold water well and tends to get tacky or gummy initially and gets worse as it sits on the face. Rinsing out the lather bowl takes longer because the stuff sets up and doesn't want to come out! Adding more water helps but it still sets up on the face leaving you wanting to scrub your face off rather than a light comfortable rinse with a wet hand towl. Having said that, it is slick, but you can make you feel like you are removing cold cream with your blade rather than lather. As far as moisturizing is concerned, I have not noticed a positive or negative effect. Keep in mind that I use a milk or balk almost everyday anyway.
I love this soap. It's cheap, works great, and can be found in a lot of places.

The quality of the shave is fantastic. I build lather on my face and all it takes is a few seconds of swirling the brush in the bowl, and I can easily get 3 passes with it.

The scent is somewhat citrusy and medicinal, but I can only smell it when my face is right near the puck. There is no scent when its lathered... Thus the "neutral" rating on the scent.

I don't notice and moisturizing properties of the soap. And on the other hand I don't notice any dryness either. So again, neutral on the rating. Everything else is amazing.

I get consistently smooth and slick shaves out of this product and it will be extremely hard to beat for the cost:benefit.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)