What's new

UltraShave

Item Description

I am always intrigued to try different things, and UltraShave is something i've been meaning to try for a while, so I finally got round to ordering some.

To use, you are supposed to apply it to a dry face, and massage it in like moisturiser until it all had been soaked in... then shave 'dry' with your safety razor. Then you apply a small amount at the end of the shave to act like a balm. The theory being that it 'super moisturizes' your whiskers allowing them to be cut easily, without the need for water. (it tells you to make sure your face is dry before you use)

Didn't quite work for me. I followed the directions to the letter... applied a good amount and massaged it in, slightly wet my razor and shook the excess off, and began shaving. Cue lots of horrible razor drag and pulling/snagging of hairs. I didn't even manage to shave a quarter of my face before I was reaching for Zirh gel to quickly get some glide back on my skin.

I think it would make an excellent pre-shave product to soften the beard before a 'proper' shave, but it just didn't do enough to enable it to be a one stop shaving solution, as it promises to be.

Something made me pick this stuff up again last week and have another try.

This time, with my old Gillette Sensor, not my DE.

It worked incredibly well indeed! Very comfortable shave, no razor burn, quick, extremely moisturising..... all in all a fantastic shave!

Please ignroe my original review comments above, as I must have been either having an 'off day' or using a blunt blade when I wrote that, as I have been shaving with this stuff for about a week every day and my skin is looking great!

That is going ATG also...something which for me is normally a BIG no-no.

Not a very luxurious shave....but a bloody good shave.

Latest reviews

Well for some strange reason unknown to myself (probably boredom) I ordered some ultra shave off the e-bay. Not bad price bout $20 considering it came from Scotland (guy packed it an envelope though) and the conversion rate thing.

First impressions, well the packaging is just cheap plastic so no biggie (pretty blue though) but I give big kudos to the canister itself (also plastic no metal) as it held up the whole trip here in a cheap padded envelope we'll see how the cream...er..foam? Whatever it is held up from the trip.

First shave impressions: used SR, DE, SE, and cartridge

well first off it is a very thick cream like lotion that squirts out with a kinda *thunk sound (like a lotion bottle) and is clear which also takes getting used to. The directions say to dry your face and use NO water the whole shave relying entirely on the product. I did as it instructed.....holy cow it actually worked!

It’s a very weird feeling like...well shaving with lotion (moved recently still haven’t unpacked my thesaurus yet :p). The shave was very comfortable though and I love that I didn't have to blow out my wrist whipping lather with a brush. The shave felt very slick. So slick in fact that the cushion was not needed for any of the shaves good thing as this product does not fluff up at all.

The original bottle said to not rinse the razor at all, the one I have is a newer bottle that says to rinse the razor occasionally since people were complaining that they got hair all over their face from not rinsing. It works either way I have found.

The shave was very smooth and enjoyable; when I did my last pass I rinsed very lightly to get the excess hair off and then per instructions rubbed a little more product inn for an a/s balm. This was not needed since I had no razorburn but did it anyway. “Ultra shave” as a balm leaves your face sticky for a few minutes but dries quickly.

However it leaves your face heavy, like you can feel the weight of the product on your face, very smooth skin though.

Also one last and very Big thing for me, the smell. Ultra shave smells like yes you guessed it lotion. I don't want the smell of Jergins on my face for a balm. The scent is very light but it does linger quite a while.

Conclusion after first use:

Ultra shave is surprisingly a good product! Very simple and would do great as a travel cream or when in a rush. The big drawbacks for me are the smell and the weighty feel of your face from the product...also the shipping since it's only available in the UK.

I found no difference in performance using any of the razors varieties the only thing different was when using the SR I had to apply a little more of the “Ultra shave” cream. I was very surprised and pleased it has been a fun experience.

This product can't replace the romance of a brush and puck. However if traveling this will help as you don't need water or a brush, or if you happen to be running late and don't have time to whipp up a bowl of lather. This product is also easier on the skin than goo or canned foam as all ingredients are natural no chemicals.

I know many wetshavers will scoff at this notion of "improved" canned goo but if we didn't allow ourselves to at least try new things we would all still be thinking that $20 5 bladed contraptions where the best thing for a close shave.

Packaging- Made it overseas in a padded envelope, yeah its tuff

Texture- The slickest feeling shave I have come across so far

Latherability- N/A as it doesn't fluff up just rub it on and go

Cushion- None, however the slickness is great enough to compensate for this factor

Moisturizing- If you use "Ultra Shave" as a balm it will leave you face baby smooth

Price- Because of the conversion rate plus shipping this stuff is almost $20 which is pretty steep, if you are in the UK though it's priced reasonably. It is only available in the UK so make some friends or go on e-bay and hope the canister lasts in a padded envelope
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
I am always intrigued to try different things, and UltraShave is something i've been meaning to try for a while, so I finally got round to ordering some.

To use, you are supposed to apply it to a dry face, and massage it in like moisturiser until it all had been soaked in... then shave 'dry' with your safety razor. Then you apply a small amount at the end of the shave to act like a balm. The theory being that it 'super moisturizes' your whiskers allowing them to be cut easily, without the need for water. (it tells you to make sure your face is dry before you use)

Didn't quite work for me. I followed the directions to the letter... applied a good amount and massaged it in, slightly wet my razor and shook the excess off, and began shaving. Cue lots of horrible razor drag and pulling/snagging of hairs. I didn't even manage to shave a quarter of my face before I was reaching for Zirh gel to quickly get some glide back on my skin.

I think it would make an excellent pre-shave product to soften the beard before a 'proper' shave, but it just didn't do enough to enable it to be a one stop shaving solution, as it promises to be.

Something made me pick this stuff up again last week and have another try.

This time, with my old Gillette Sensor, not my DE.

It worked incredibly well indeed! Very comfortable shave, no razor burn, quick, extremely moisturising..... all in all a fantastic shave!

Please ignroe my original review comments above, as I must have been either having an 'off day' or using a blunt blade when I wrote that, as I have been shaving with this stuff for about a week every day and my skin is looking great!

That is going ATG also...something which for me is normally a BIG no-no.

Not a very luxurious shave....but a bloody good shave.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)