What's new

Tweezerman

Has served as an excellent, CHEAP starter brush. Has lost quite a few hairs over the first 3 months of (irregular) use but is still in fine shape. Can't go wrong for the price if you are just starting out.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Density
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
0.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
0.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
0.00 star(s)
Coffee Addict;2947375 said:
What else can I say? I don't thing anyone should go for a boar brush when starting traditional shaving if he has the opportunity to get a tweezerman which will outperform a boar brush in all ways.

I know that B&B is a place where YMMV rules. However, if your experience has been limited to one boar brush whose performance didn't satisfy you, then your overall judgement on boar brushes may deny you a very satisfying shaving experience. There are a number of inexpensive boar brushes on the market (around the price of your tweezerman or less) that not only have received great reviews here in their own right, but have frequently been favored by some members over more expensive badger brushes.

Should you have a few extra bucks and wish to test this hypothesis, take a look at the reviews for the Omega Boar #49 Professional, Omega 48 Professional Boar Bristle Brush, or the Omega 10066. All can be obtained for under $10 from a number of vendors. For a bit more, take a look at reviews for the Semogue 1305. If you find what you read about these brushes encouraging, buy one and I'm sure you will enjoy the result.

I had only been wetshaving for about 3 weeks back last June when I bought a Rooney 3/1 in Silvertip. Rooney brushes generally are very well received as they are a high quality product in a number of grades of badger hair. It was and is a wonderful brush. However, back in November I picked up an Omega 80266 boar in trade and have found it to be almost as soft and slightly more adept at face lathering soaps.

If you give the right boar another chance, you may be surprised!
Hello gents.

The Coffee Addict here.

This was my first badger brush (bought after a cheap boar brush that I gave away to a British friend) but it's now kept as a travel brush now that I have my Rooney super.

Price: $13 dlls for a badger brush? You'd better laugh.

Quality: I gave it a 9. I know many of you will be surprised because of this but the tweezerman is much better made than I expected when I read the reviews. It lost many hairs the first weeks; and lost 1 occasionally (in fact rarely) in about a year of use. Besides, the knot never came out of the handle as other users said. Even, the wood is well-sealed and never wore.

Density: I gave it an 8 because I've seen pics from above of some vulfix brushes and my tweezie looks way denser. Another user here, who reviewed a vulfix in pure badger said that his tweezerman is denser.

Stiffness: It's a stiff brush that massaged your face thoroughly.

Softness: 9. Believe it or not, there's a HUGE difference from a boar brush to the tweezerman. The hairs become very soft with each use and even softer if you soak it in wamr water while you shower. The hair feels stiff after trying a silvertip, yet they are way MUCH MUCH softer compared to a boar brush.

Ergonomic: the handle is about 50mm and always found it to be very comfortable.

Latherability: it excels with both soaps and creams, and both bowl and face lathering.

What else can I say? I don't thing anyone should go for a boar brush when starting traditional shaving if he has the opportunity to get a tweezerman which will outperform a boar brush in all ways.

-Coffee Addict

Some pics:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
The brush works well, as well as most far more expensive brushes. But the build quality of mine is lacking. It had a crack in the handle when it arrived, which was small at the time but over the course of a few months has split all the way down the side of the handle. It's still in one piece, mind you, but I don't think it will be for much longer. It has a habit of losing a lot of bristles too.

Many people swear to the build quality of Tweezerman, but that simply wasn't the experience I have had with it. However, the functionality of the brush is great, and it lathers up soaps and creams alike with the best of them. So, if you manage to get one that is in good condition, you might have a new best friend in the bathroom. Honestly though, the wooden handle would still concern me, and I feel like you might be rolling the dice a bit considering what would appear to be a lack of quality control. You might want to just spend the twenty or so extra dollars to get a decent Parker or Omega.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
3.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
I wish that this had been my first brush instead of my VDH. It is a great first brush. Lathers really well. Perfect for learning to lather soaps and creams. Its a good starter size too, I believe 21mm knot and 50mm loft (correct me if I'm wrong) so its not too big, not too small. Fits great in my hand. It's some grade of badger hair, I can't find our for sure what kind though.
Its a little scratchy, so it kind of irritates my face if I've had a rough couple passes with my razor. The knot is kind of rattling around in the handle, but doesn't appear to be anywhere close to falling out. I've had it for over a year though. Thats the main reason why I just ordered a higher quality brush. But its really not that bad. But this brush is perfect for someone just starting out who can't afford a high end brush.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
My first brush, and still probably my absolute favorite. I seem to recall it being a bit more stiff and springy when I bought it back in the middle of 2009, but it still works great! I used it daily as my only brush for a long time, and still use it on a regular basis.

Price wise, I'm rating this as a $10, I paid $25 with free shipping on Amazon.com, and it's hard to find a brush of similar quality for less.

Quality: I rate a 10. When I first bought it, I was somewhat suspicious of the wooden handle. Similar to many other members here, I suspected that this would be a recipe for disaster. However, I'm pleased to say that the handle has held up perfectly well without any special attention to care for it on my part. It lost hairs at a rate of maybe 1-2 per shave the first dozen times I used it, and after that stopped loosing hairs almost entirely.

Density: I've seen more densely packed brushes, but this one is still pretty well done.

Stiffness of Tips: The tips on my brush aren't very stiff, but they do spring back on their own. I do recall it being a little more stiff when I first got it, but it was never a real stiff scrubby brush like my Omega Boar or the Sabi badger brushes I have.

Softness of Tips: I honestly don't think I've felt a softer brush, and I can't imagine there being a brush much softer than this one.

Ergonomic: I call it an 8. The handle is well shaped, and of a good size, but I would like something a little bit heavier I think. Still very nice.

Latherability: I'm going with a 10, simply because this brush makes everything seem to explode instantly into lather.

I would recommend this brush to just about anyone. After I used it a few times, I never felt the need to purchase a more expensive brush or move out of a "Pure Badger" brush. I have other brushes, but this one is till my favorite.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
its an ok starter brush
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
and I don't know if I might go to any other one.

It is the perfect size for making lathers in a bowl, big enough for face lathering. The hair is great feeling on my face and makes an awesome lather. I can't see a problem with it. I have had mine for close to a year now and might be looking to grab another one of these. This brush should be on every new wetshavers "to buy list".
I got mine this week. I found it for S18.00 with shipping. I like it better that either my Bodyshop or my old sears Boar brush!

I give it a :thumbup:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
it has my vote decent size nice handle and it lathers good a few hairs drop every now and den but im still breaking mine in but besides that its a great lil brush thats worth $20:thumbup:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Without having the privilege to experience many brushes, in fact only a tweezerman and a run of the mill CVS brush of brand I've since forgotten, my review my not hold much water. Nevertheless, here it is. Bottom line, for the money spent I'm happy with the performance, but am looking for the next upgrade.

Using puck soap the brush is stiff enough to collect sufficient product quickly to allow ample suds for 2 shave passes. I'm not a fan of the weight, as I'd prefer a brush with some extra poundage. But for 12 bucks what did I expect huh. I'm confident this brush will last for awhile, but it will not be the lone-den brush for long.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
Tweezerman started me out, so I owe it something. Seems to work fairly well for everyone, mainly as a 1st badger. For me, though, it kind of sucked the lather AWAY from my face--it lathered well on the brush but was hard to distribute (of course, this could be me). Also, and this is personal, I don't like the feel of the handle (I'm a bowl latherer). Overall, though, for the price, not to shabby at all.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
1.00 star(s)
Latherability
2.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
This brush saved my wet shaving career....I was getting really frustrated with the VDH boar brush I had gotten for xmas as an intro to wet shaving. I really enjoyed wet shaving but couldnt create a lather to save my life until I got the Tweezerman. This baby is soft and creates a beautiful lather...and at a great price.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
2.00 star(s)
The Tweezerman is my first brush but in the couple of months I've been using it; it really hasn't disappointed. It makes copious amounts of lather in a short time with both soaps and creams. Lost a few hairs early on but maybe one every two weeks now. As for the build, the cheap wood handle leaves something to be desired but the important part, the knot, seems to be well-made with no signs of falling apart.

My biggest beefs with the brush are its lack of softness and short handle. I'd like it to be a bit softer as even after a long soak in hot water it's still a bit rough for me. It's not like it's irritating or anything, I'd just like it to be more supple. But hey for $10 I can't ***** too much. The brush would do well with a longer handle for those using a deep mug.

Overall you can't go wrong with this guy, just don't expect luxury.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
2.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
This was my first and only brush currently, so I am not a pro at reviewing, but from what I know of other brushes I can take good guesses as to how it measures up.

So first, the price of this is unbeatable for the quality you receive. 15 bucks or less and you get a great beginner brush with a medium size head. The handle is a little bit small and works fine if you are lathering in your hand or on your face, but a little bit difficult if you are using a bowl that is too deep. My fat fingers kept running into the sides of a relatively wide jar. Lathering on the face is a bit difficult as the bristles are stiffer than you would expect, but this is usually what I do. I don't get voluptuous volcanic eruptions of lather, but it is perfectly acceptable to get a lather that provides adequate lubrication.

You will loose some bristles in the first 10-15 shaves, but after that it should be infrequent.

Very good brush for the price. High value.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Not a bad brush for a newbie, a badger brush for a low price.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
2.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
2.00 star(s)
I honestly wanted to like this brush. After using a synthetic brush for the past few weeks, I thought a pure badger, even one at $13.50, would be a step up. In complete contrast to the synthetic, my Tweezerman is rough, rough, rough! The Tweezerman's bristles also don't help make a lather anywhere near as well as the synthetic, and the handle is a lot more slippery, making the lathering process all the more difficult.

I'll stick with my synthetic.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Density
1.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
0.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
0.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
1.00 star(s)
I have had my Tweezerman and been using it every other day for the last nine months. The brush is worth every penny and performs well. It hasn't shed a hair in months, but I have noticed that it is not holding water the way it used to. The only incident with it is that I knock the wooden handle on the counter to shake out the water and a couple of months back the knot of of glue and hair fell out. I put a couple of dabs of epoxy and reset the knot in the handle with out any other problem. I see no reason for any one to get a boar hair brush with such an inexpensive badger brush in the market.
My first badger brush. One day I'll pop for something more upscale, but this little brush has done very well over the last few months, so I'm in no hurry. I use it with creams and soaps, and it as long as the soap has had a couple minutes to sit with some hot water on top, it works for both.

Mine lost a few hairs after the during the first few uses, and it sheds an occasional hair now and again.

If you are looking to see if a badger brush is for you, and don't want to lay down the cash for a premier brush, this is a good brush to go with. Even if you get the urge to upgrade, it will make a great travel/spare, and you might just find it's "good enough".
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
This was (and still is) my only brush, but I'll be looking to get another one soon.

It's worked pretty well for the past few weeks I've had it. The price was the main selling point for me, as I bought it while on amazon, just looking for something to get me started. I've been using Proraso cream & Col. Conk soap, and it's lathered up both of them very nicely.

The biggest problem I've had is the hairs it loses. I usually have a few end up in my beard after lathering up. I'll be keeping it as a travel brush once I can get new brush.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)