What's new

Trumpers Spanish Leather

I am a great fan of this scent and Im surprised it does not get any more reviews. My wife calls it "Husband scent", when I asked her what she meant, she said that this smell makes her feel secure and secure. For me, it lasts just shy of a day at work which seems to be the norm for Trumpers with the exception of Eucris.
This isn't exactly a leather scent (rather, like Woods of Windsor, it is a recipe that replicates the perfume added to scent new leather in the past). It's very different than Truefitt & Hill's version and most Arabian leathers out there. It is unabashedly old fashioned and redolent with spices and sweetness, like a barbershop tonic of yesteryear.

I like it, but it's one of the fragrances with multiple personalities and will represent something different to everyone. At times, for example, it smells eerily like "dog flea shampoo" and I find that when someone says that, I immediately get that association and can't wear it for awhile or else that's all I'll think about when I put it on. It's easy to get this association, so I would classify this as a "confident man's" scent and not for those who judge colognes by what others will think.

Like all Trumper's fragrances it's slightly overpriced but obviously high-quality. Staying power is on the weak side depending on where you apply it, and it's also easy to over-apply. I'm a fan of Trumper's Edwardian-style packaging overall but I do wish they'd update the labels on the bottles, keeping the same general style but with a more upscale feel like Penhaligons.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
3.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
1.00 star(s)
Just got this one and I have to agree that this is the best leather out there. For my taste it is a fall/winter fragrance that will find a permanent spot in my small rotation.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
1.00 star(s)
This really is the best leather cologne out there. What the scent of Imperial Leather soap aspires to be, this cologne is. Wonderfully complex, unashamedly manly, yet refined and genteel, this really is the best.

The packaging is the best I've seen too- seriously classy in an old fasioned bottle with a crown shaped stopper. None of your poncey atomisers- you just shake out a few drops and slap it on. I like to shake a few drops onto my chest before I put my shirt on, and rub it in with my wrists. Keeps the scent close to your body, and ensures it will last all day.

The scent is at once floral (rose) spicey (cloves) and woody (sandalwood), and smells exactly as a leather cologne should- a very clean, warm, reassuring smell. There are hints of tobacco, ginger and perhaps another wood in there too, the balance is perfect.

In the autumn or winter, out in the country, this is my favorite cologne. Perhaps a little too rich for midsummer, but really it is so well balanced it probably wouldn't be drastically out of place on a hot day either.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)