What's new

Trumper's Sandalwood

Pros: Good quality cream
Cons: Smells like cigarettes
It's a Trumpers brand cream, so you know it will be good stuff. The deciding factor for me is the scent. And....it stinks. My wife and I both thought it smelled like cigarettes. I would try before you spend top dollar on a tub of it.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Dave-itt;468759 said:
I LOVE Trumpers sandalwood Cologne and sandalwood Shave Soap - they smell addictive, delightful. The smell of this however is totally different- it reminds me of a cross between baby wipes and an ash tray - it's utterly pungent and makes me feel like i'm going to gag... i've given it several tries and cant get used to the nauseating smell, so gave it to my dad who's happy enough with it.

YES. Faint soapy/diapery/bathroomy aroma. Not for me.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
After reading the previous reviews, I find it hard to believe I'm using the same shave cream!. My tub of Trumper's Sandalwood is white in color and uniform in texture. It lathers (in a bowl) like a proper English cream should with either a badger or boar brush. I find the scent to very subtle and mature, apparently more so than many of the reviewers :001_rolle here.
If you're looking to smell like Baskin-Robbins best look for a more metro
shave cream.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Price: Pretty expensive, but you know that before you buy it.
Scent: I didn't like the smell once water and brush was added to the mix. Smelt like some dirty wood.
Latherability: As you would expect from Trumper. Very rich.
Efficacy: A tub will last a long time.
Moisturizing: Surprisingly, this left me feeling very after.
Packaging: Nothing to complain about.
My first and real cause for disappointment was the fact that this does not smell like the Sandalwood Skinfood or Hair and Body which I really love. :cursing:

It reminds me of the C&E Sandalwood, almost so much so that I thought I had picked up the wrong tub. If you like Sandalwood then this is a great cream for you though I think the Trumpers Violet, Rose and GFT are much better smelling creams. In terms of performance this cream is equal to any of the better smelling creams just mentioned.

Aaron
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
This is a wonderful cream. It produces great lather like all Trumper products, the scent is one of a drier sweeter sandalwood, compared to say D R Harris Sandalwood. Regardless of preference, it screams masculinity.

A wonderful cream for all fans of Sandalwood, I highly recommend it. :w00t:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Usual Trumper's quality. Excellent lather and excellent moisturizing. However, the scent is appalling, cloying, and over-bearing.
This cream should really be renamed 'cinammon' because the scent is predominately of cinammon rather than sandlewood. Other than scent, a great cream.
I tend to agree that this is overpriced but it's an excellent cream. Lathers very easily and shaves well. The scent is very nice, woody and manly - I expect there's some sandalwood in there somewhere, damned if I can pick it out though. Not brilliant considering the price but bear in mind if it was cheaper everybody would rave about it.
This was the first "real" shaving cream I ever tried. I had no problem with the scent at all. I particularly enjoyed making a superlather with this cream and Colonel conks bay rum soap. This cream worked well, It didn't lather anything special, but it did work. All in all, I would say this cream was a little above average, but the price really makes it unreasonable. I don't plan on buying any more, but I probably would if it were as cheap as TOBS or Fraser's.

I just don't understand why they think they need to charge so much more than anybody else?
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I just got a sample of this so I won't give it a full evaluation. I have no problems with the cream and its performance, but like some others above I don't get the fragrance. For me it's like a very faint English Leather combined with a dirty ashtray. I'm actually wondering if I even know what sandalwood smells like. My main experience with it is incense.

Because of the split in fragrance perception, I'm wondering if they have a quality control issue, or if it's just differences in our scent perception. I don't detect any sweet notes in my sample.
Price: The price on this is a little on the high side but you get a whopping 7oz of this stuff which makes it a really good deal.
Quality: Superb. It is Trumper's.
Scent: I was a little unsure what to think of this the first time I smelled it. It was my first non-aerosol cream. But it grew on me quickly. I do prefer Trumper's cologne sandalwood scent over the scent of the cream, but it is good.
Latherability:It lathers very nicely. It did tend to dry out on me a little the first couple of times I used it, but that was because I was new to DE shaving and took a long time. But great lathers since.
Moisturizing Properties: Just your average MP to me. Nothing spectacular in this department. Its not drying.
Packaging: Packaging seems alright to me. It doesn't effect the cream in anyway.:001_smile. Its a heavy duty pvc type tub. Feels good in the hands.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I'll work my way down the list here-
Price: Like all Trumper's products it isn't cheap but I enjoy it enough so that the price tag doesn't bother me.
Quality: Again, I have yet to try a Trumper's product that I don't like, however, I rated this one lower than some of their other products for the reasons detailed below.
Scent: This is a toss-up, personally I have smelled better sandalwoods and am not very wild about the Trumper's rendition yet I still gave this an 8 for scent. Why? I'll be honest; my wife thinks it's ridiculously sexy and since she is my intended target, and the main drive behind all of this grooming, continued use of this product is a no-brainer :cool:.
Latherability: Good but not as good as the coconut; simple as that. Also, I want to note that this really isn't a very slick cream for me. YMMV of course.
Moisturizing: Again, not as good as the coconut (which has become my gold standard for creams if you haven't guessed already:biggrin:).
Packaging: Just as nice as the entirety of Trumper's line.

Hope this helped.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
I LOVE Trumpers sandalwood Cologne and sandalwood Shave Soap - they smell addictive, delightful. The smell of this however is totally different- it reminds me of a cross between baby wipes and an ash tray - it's utterly pungent and makes me feel like i'm going to gag... i've given it several tries and cant get used to the nauseating smell, so gave it to my dad who's happy enough with it.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
2.00 star(s)
I use this from time to time, but on the whole I prefer the hard soap. The aroma of the cream is less woody, more floral and a hint sweet, much more similar to the cologne, I think its a decidedly less masculine aroma that the soap, but very pleasant in it's own right. The aroma also stays on my cheeks longer than that of the soap. It would probably layer very well with Trumpers Sandalwood cologne, but I prefer Floris, so I've not tried this.

It lathers prefectly well, it's a really rich, smooth lather that gives a lot of lubrication, more so than the soap. Lovely when made warm in a bowl, I usually have this for a lazy, even more luxurious than usual shave on sunday.

The efficacy I would rate lower that the soap. The soap shaves noticably closer, I'm not sure why. I find neither to be massively moisturising, but the cream to be a little more so.

I like the tub, It looks nice, and makes sure you get all the cream. Not so elegant as a wooden bowl though.

My only real problem with it is that if I use it two days running, it can leave my skin a little red in places, nothing serious, but for that reason I only use it occasionally. I must add that the commonly available creams I've tried (Body Shop, and Real Shaving Co.) make my skin break out something awful, Musgo Real is the only one I've tried so far that I'm entirely comfortable with. So perhaps that is just me...
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Price: Reasonable, given the marketplace. Although rumour is that it's going up.

Quality: It's Trumper's.

Scent: Enjoyable. It's much sweeter than C&E, but still carries a very similar sandalwood note below it. Soapier, although not as piercingly so as Coate's, and much more complex than AOS.

Latherability: Somewhat difficult at first. The wrong ratio will very easily leave the cream "drying" on your face. Once you're used to it, however, it's a dream.

Efficacy: Smooth, although not quite slick. Not as protecting as the Coconut, but still a very fine product.

Moisturizing Properties: Decent. Nothing particularly spectacular

Packaging: Trumper's packaging is a step above the simple bland tubs, although not quite as sharp as C&E or CF.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
I'm not a big Trumper guy, but htis is a very nice cream that has grown considerably on me. Very good performance, and the scent, while not world beating, is adequate.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Another fantastic cream by Trumper. Love the scent and I have no problem generating a top-notch lather.

Not as moisturizing as their Coconut but, as has been mentioned, this one is categorized for "normal" skin.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I recently purchased my own tub of Trumper Sandalwood shaving cream from Em's Place (great place to do business btw). I had received a sample from Trumper of this scent in both the cream and cologne. When I first used the cream I was a bit underwhelmed, but it did grow on me and now I just love it! The scent (you will have to pardon my inability to describe things as well as others on this board, my hat goes off to people who can discern the subtleties of all things) was kind of smokey and very gentlemans library/reading room kind of aroma. It made me feel somewhat sophisticated. My only concern with it was that it would make me smell "old". The scent fades into a very earthy and woody type of aroma.

The Cream/Lather

The cream and lather are top notch in my opinion. I can work up a lather that is long lasting and very protecting. I usually add a bit more water for my final pass as both my face and thus the cream do not spread as well by that time. I don't get any burning or pain even with some light S/N passes.

Moisture

Well, it is not as moisturizing as some creams (like C&E Almond) but does an adequate job. I believe most Sandalwood creams are rated for "normal" skin. I have never used this cream on back to back shaving days, so I don't know how it would fair with repeated use on my skin type but I shall see in the future.

The Cost

I rated the cost scale as a 10 being the most expensive. Trumper costs a bit more but IMO is worth it.

Packaging

Well, not as luxurious as C&E (I love the heavy glass containers) but still is a respectibly heavy plastic container. Nicer than AOS containers and is able to be sealed up tight for long storage.

Overall, I would buy this product again and definitely encourage others to try it. I can understand where some might this scent too much for them, but I am finding that I love all sandalwood scents.

Darren
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Seeing as Trumpers Sandalwood was my first *upgraded* shave cream, I'm probably a bit partial to it. I agree that the scent isn't overpowering, but its certainly pleasant. It lathers similarly to Proraso in the green tube, which is to say pretty well.
It may not be the best cream out there, but its a decent product, and worth keeping in the rotation.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)