What's new

Trumper's Sandalwood

Item Description

Introduction:
So I finally decided the allure of Geo. F Trumpers creams were more than I could continue to fight off, so I purchased a tub of this cream. Although I protested the near $25 pricetag of the tub, I still bit the hook and took the bait. When the box arrived, it was beautiful. The ornate design of Trumper's products are a feast for the eyes. They really know how to do the packing right. But for me, that's about as far as the love affair with Trumpers went. Honestly, I had my hopes so high with the whole fanfare that goes along with Trumpers, but the results were disappointing.

The Cream
When I opened the lid off the tub, I was suprised to find that the cream was almost a buttery/oily consistency. It was not what I'm used to with the Taylors blends. There was a water like glaze over the top that I suppose gets whipped up when you lather. Strange.

The Aroma
In plain english: it sucks. Boooooo....:thumbdown
When I opened the lid, I was expecting to have my probostus infused with the delectible delight of Sandalwood. Rather, what I got was a medicinal bitter odor of some vat of goo that this prestigious Brit company was trying to pass off as Sandalwood all the while ripping people a new one in cost for it. What a disappointment. Another thing that suprised me is that the potency of the aroma was lacking. The scent was subtle and you kind of had to sniff for it to really smell Sandalwood, or what they were calling sandalwood.

Latherability
Not bad, all in all. However, no matter what I seemed to do, I got these tiny little air bubbles all over, rather than a nice rich thick creamy meringue type lather. I got it close once, but that was after playing with the perfect chemical balance of water to cream. But overall, the lather was acceptable and pretty thick, so no real complaints here. It was a little disappointing that I had to really work at it to get the lather as good as I'm used to.

Lubricity & Moisturizing Properties
Again, a real disappointment. After lathering up, the cream really wanted to dry out on me. It never totally dried, but it was far from that perfect consistancy that we are looking for. The moisturizing properties were nowhere near what I expected. The first time I used the cream, I had real bad irritation on my neck and my skin itched all day around the neck. The next time I tried it, it wasn't as bad, but it was far from optimal.

Overall
To me, there are far far better creams out there for a fraction of the price of what Trumpers is asking. I think this is pretty much over dramatized stuff that Trumpers is using their name on. This reminds me of buying a rather expensive bottle of wine, getting yourself primed up for a great experience, popping the cork and smelling vinegar. I don't know if all Trumper's products are this way, but I can certainly say that I am a little gunshy about buying more.

Latest reviews

Pros: Good quality cream
Cons: Smells like cigarettes
It's a Trumpers brand cream, so you know it will be good stuff. The deciding factor for me is the scent. And....it stinks. My wife and I both thought it smelled like cigarettes. I would try before you spend top dollar on a tub of it.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Dave-itt;468759 said:
I LOVE Trumpers sandalwood Cologne and sandalwood Shave Soap - they smell addictive, delightful. The smell of this however is totally different- it reminds me of a cross between baby wipes and an ash tray - it's utterly pungent and makes me feel like i'm going to gag... i've given it several tries and cant get used to the nauseating smell, so gave it to my dad who's happy enough with it.

YES. Faint soapy/diapery/bathroomy aroma. Not for me.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
After reading the previous reviews, I find it hard to believe I'm using the same shave cream!. My tub of Trumper's Sandalwood is white in color and uniform in texture. It lathers (in a bowl) like a proper English cream should with either a badger or boar brush. I find the scent to very subtle and mature, apparently more so than many of the reviewers :001_rolle here.
If you're looking to smell like Baskin-Robbins best look for a more metro
shave cream.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)