What's new

Trumper's Limes Soap

Pros: comes in a cool box, works well enough, lasts forever
Cons: quite a strong, not-really-lime scent, not very 'slick', a bit pricey
Having owned Trumpers Violet soap in the past (and being unimpressed with the overpowering 'Granny's bathroom scent) I wanted to give Limes a try and see if it was any different. It does of course smell different but equally intense...and really nothing like limes in my opinion. The performance is fairly standard though I don't find it as lubricating or slick as some other less-pricey soaps. Overall I can't say I'm blown away by Trumpers soaps...and unless you absolutely love the smell I wouldn't recommend them, especially with so many great alternatives out there.

Bottom line is that this stuff is good shaving soap but performs no better than, say, Speick or Proraso. Added to the fact that it smells quite perfumey (and not in a limey kind of way) and is $18 I would advise that you look elsewhere.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
I really wanted to like this one as I'm a sucker for anything lime. I have and like GFT Coconut, Rose and Violet.

Price: Expensive but very good quality.

Quality: As good as non-tallow can get.

Scent: Smells like bottled lime juice, not fresh lime which is what I prefer.

Lather: Maybe I have a dud puck but this one doesn't perform like my other GFT soaps.

Efficacy: Same as the lather.

Moisturizing: About average for a puck of soap.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Gents, this is a quality soap. Its weakness is what I love most about it...the scent. I wanted a lime that wasn't in your face....but strong enough to let you know you're shaving with a lime soap. The best way to peg the scent on this one is a "floral clean lime" smell. Very refreshing!

Performance is what you would expect from a GFT product. Easy to lather, great slick cushioning, & washes off the razor easily.

I received the refill for my bowl so I cant comment on the wood bowl.

Considering the previous comments on the longevity of this soap.....the price is a bargain!

Now go order yourself a puck of GFT Limes.....:thumbup:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Excellent soap, Granted it really doesn't smell like lime once the lather is on your face but you do get excellent shaves for it, particularly if you use a syntex brush like I did this morning... some of the best lather I've created thus far and is moisturising, lubricating and does give some cushion too. If you can afford it by all means, it will last you a very long time so in fact long term, its very cheap:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
I like this soap, I like it very much, it's super slick, easy to work up a lather, a few flicks of my Simpson Colonel 2 band and I get heaps of rich creamy lather, however I would love it to smell a bit more of the limes, that's why I bought it for the lime scent, and I'm some what let down by the lack of it.

But it's still a very good soap :thumbup1:
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I don't understand those who think this soap's scent is mild.

Not mine. Ok, it's no Castle Forbes, but it's not far off, at least in terms of the strength of the scent. Maybe there are batch inconsistencies?

It's different to CF Limes cream - there's a nice clean Lime but there's other note(s) in there I cannot place. CF is pure juicy, dry Lime.

It's a very nice soap. Performance is on par with the other non-tallow Trumper's, i.e. excellent.

It's not as slick or as moisturising as some others, but it's not far off.

John
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
I've to say that I'm more a Shaving Cream man, rather than a Shaving Soap man. I own many creams against only two soaps, this and Taylor's Sandalwood soap (which I like very much).
That said, I think this soap is a high quality soap (like almost every product of Geo F. Trumper), which only defects in its scent.
I didn't expect it smelled as strong as the aftershave, but this soap has a very very light scent... Not a big problem, anyway, because it performs well and provide much lather.
:thumbup1:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Tried this for the first time last night. Really a very high quality soap. I could smell lime unlike others, but the scent is very subtle. Lather was rich and creamy, a very nice shave with zero cuts or irritation. Downside is cost, I hope it last a while!
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
Great soap, less great scent. You can whip up a very slick lather with this stuff, but it isn't as moisturizing as some other soaps out there. That makes it great for my skin type, but not in the winter. I use this quite a bit through spring and summer. When I first got it, the scent was a little overwhelming, very artificial and bright in a kind of unpleasant (to me) way. Fortunately after a couple of weeks it dried down to a very fresh (still slightly synthetic) lime smell. Overall a great product, like everything else with the GFT name on it.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
What can I say about GFT Limes that I haven't plastered all over this forum?

Price - quite simply you get what you pay for. Those who don't like the cost haven't experienced the quality. That's easy for me to say as I received my first Limes Shaving Soap in Wood Bowl as a Christmas Gift from a fellow B&Ber while I was deployed. However, would I/will I spring for a refill? You know it!

Quality - It's GFT! You know you are getting a quality product. IMHO GFT is the top of the heap when we are talking about the Big 3 T's. This is a very nice, hard, triple milled soap and a nice wooden bowl. Packaging is equally nice making this a great choice for a gift.

Scent - What I like most about GFT Limes is what many don't. I like the clean, fresh, crisp mix of floral and true citrusy lime scents. From the minute I take the lid off of the wood bowl to the moment I was the last remaining bits of lather off of my face I enjoy this scent.

Lather - It is extremely easy to get copious amounts of rich, thick, slick and protective lather. This soap is easy to lather and easily yields enough for the famed four pass shave (though I never need that much).

Efficacy - This is a very effective shave soap. Leaves the whiskers softened and prepared for a great shave. It is slick and provides just the right balance of slickness and cushion/protection.

Moisturizing - I rated this as a 9. It has zero drying properties that I've experienced but on the flip side it didn't seem to moisturize. Perhaps (at least for me) this is a neutral soap in this regard. As I have nothing negative to say about it I gave it high marks, though not perfect.

This was my first triple milled soap and I've been using the original puck for an entire year. Despite being my most used soap it is still likely 90% there. I highly recommend this to both lovers of clean soap/floral scents and those who truly like limes.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I actually wasn't impressed with this soap. I found the scent to be not as good col conks and the lather has always been quite airy and foamy instead of creamy like a good soap. I do have to say that it has lasted for ever. I've tried to get rid of it as fast as I can and it lasts and lasts.
I am really only contributing to this product's review because of my dismay that there was previously only one entry.

Of all of the many...many soaps *and* creams I have used this, remains my favorite. It's my Go To soap when I absolutely have to be positive I'll have an excellent shave to face an important day.

Yes, the fragrance is very light and could perhaps be a tad stronger for that wake-you-up refreshing experience, but.....the bottom line in my brief review is that I find this soap to lather up a dream and work beautifully.

Even with my "floppy" Vulfix, I find that 20 or so swirls with the brush against the soap in its wooden bowl, then transfered to my lather bowl for another 30 or so laps creates plenty of peaky lather for a 3 pass shave.

I have gotten my best and most consistent BBS shaves with this soap and I highly recommend it.

A quality product that lasts and lasts and lasts and never lets me down.

YMMV.
This is an excellent triple milled shaving soap. It makes great slippery lather however the scent is not really lime. I can tell its in there but its more of a clean quality smelling soap with a touch of lime/citrus. I got this with the wooden bowl and it is top quality as well. I'm guessing its mahogany. Anyway the soap has been used many times and looks pretty much like the day I got it. The biggest knock is the label on the bowl which is paper. :confused: Don't get it wet or it could fall off. The label should have been some non paper water proof material. Not a big deal and doesn't effect the shaving. I would recommend this soap to someone looking to try a triple milled soap but not to someone looking for a lime scent like a QED glycerin lime soap.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)