What's new

Trumper's GFT

Sampler vial. Mild, non-offensive citrus cologne that I think would work in any situation/environment.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
0.00 star(s)
Complexity
3.00 star(s)
Staying Power
3.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
0.00 star(s)
A very obvious scent that I don't liked at first try but I have learn to wear. Not very fresh scent, as usually the citrus based colognes are.

The Trumper's scent want to be something that they can't, good ideas with few complexity and a bit overpriced. Floris's fragrances are much better and they cost almost the same money than Trumper's
I've been going through my GFT sample vials for a few months now and finally have a good feel them. While the "GFT" does immediately remind me of Pledge furniture polish I really do enjoy the scent because it has a layer of musk and woodiness underneath. Plus I've always liked how Pledge smells :001_smile Additionally this guy really sticks around for a long time.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Complexity
3.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
1.00 star(s)
I absolutely love this scent especially in the summer. It opens with a burst of lemony goodness and drys down to a nice herbal mossy scent. The price is a little high but if you like it , its worth it IMO.
GFT is a fresh, summery scent that seems to appeal to everyone who smells it. It's very similar to the Turkish "Pereja" lemon cologne, although that stuff is a little cheaper at around $10 for 450ml..
I had been using Tabac AS for nearly a decade on end when I made up my mind to add another fragrance to my 'collection'. I sampled nearly everything at perfume stores, ordered many samples, and if it weren't for a shaving cream sample, I would have passed over this fragrance.

Scents are in my opinion even more of a matter of YMMV than creams and soaps, which have some aspects you can measure and thus compare objectively. Not so with these. What I like immensely about GFT is that it starts out quite citrussy, but soon develops a very unusual bittersweet herbal tone which is a bit sharp and at the same time quite refreshing. I cannot think of anything mainstream which resembles it: they always lack the 'crispness' of this fragrance which give it the edge. After an initial getting-used to period, I now feel very comfortable wearing GFT to the point I'm no longer self-conscious about it, and associate it with 'me'. That's a very good sign.

Is it a complex scent? I'm not one to judge, really. I find it very hard to disentangle it into its constituent parts. That there is citrus in there is noticable to everyone but those with a cold, and I'm perfectly fine with accepting that the bittersweetness stems from tarragon. But all the others... no. Does the fragrance move through various stages? No, not really. It fades away with approximately the same scent as you smell once the initial somewhat brash top notes have left the building. Conclusion: blended very well, with a predictable drydown. Perhaps not complex, but certainly very robust.

Staying power: most colognes I sampled had too little staying power in my opinion, but this is mostly due to nose fatigue. My nose isn't the best, unfortunately. The next day, after sporting for an hour or so, I usually get one last strong blast before hitting the shower; and my girlfriend is easily able to detect the last remnants of the base notes on my skin when she snuggles up to me after waking up. I should mention that I do not spray on wrists or behind the ears, but rather below my neck, chest and inner elbows. I am rather warmblooded, and spraying on the hotpoints would kill off the fragrance way too soon. In any case, it can still be detected under specific circumstances 18 to 22 hours after application, which is just fine. My own nose gives out after about 6 to 7 hours, which given the lightness of this fragrance is very good ideed.

The atomiser is a fine little thing. Good pumping action, fine spray, not too much liquid is vaporised. Don't spray too far off of your skin, otherwise you'll evaporate more than hits the skin! Definitely better than average quality.

Packaging: sleek, small, distinguished. Cap slides over the atomiser very satisfyingly, but is not on securely enough for the bottle to be picked up by it. A minor little blemish. I'd like to have a 100 ml bottle, though. 50 ml is somewhat meager.

Quality is therefore excellent: lovely scent, good staying power, good atomiser, simple but sleek bottle. Where it falls down a little is the price. 50 ml comes in at 35 GBP, and that's excluding p&p. That's expensive, and puts GFT at the top of the available 50 ml-bottles. (Prices vary between 25 and 35 GBP, most are 31.) The fact that the bottle empties very slowly---and I'm not at all spraying economically---means you'll get a lot of scent time out of it, but still, 35 quid for 50 ml does not sit right with me. I'd be much happier to purchase 100 ml for 40 GBP or so.

Still, GFT has become my second fragrance after Tabac AS, and I'm very pleased with it. If the current bottle runs out, I'm sure to replace it.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
5.00 star(s)
I really love this cologne. It is tad strong, but never offensive. It is dry with potent notes of cypress and tarragon. The light musk drydown is superb.
Sample vial, so no ratings for price, packaging, or atomizer. I did not particularly care of the GFT shaving cream, so liking this scent came as a surprise. It was not impressive in the vial, but it opened up as soon as it hit my skin and was full of lemon, cedar, bergamot, "white" flowers (I'm thinking "gardenias" but I'm not too up on my flowers), and some...moss. I read the moss descriptor in a lot of reviews and I really wonder what causes a moss-like scent. It is a slightly earthy, wet undertone...but I digress. I may buy a full bottle of this--it's refreshing while still being substantial.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
1.00 star(s)
After purchasing a bottle from C.O. Bigelo's clearance sale, this has quickly become my new "go to" fragrance. Look past the lemon Pledge scent for the first 20-30 minutes and you will find that the fragrance exhibits nice complexity. The staying power is incredible. However, I'm not sure it's worth the normal $65 price tag.
This is a surprisingly good cologne. There have been many attempts to meld the classic old barbershop style with more modern mass market style EdT's and this is one of the very few that works.
It's like an updated version of Trumper's Wellington, which for me is a big compliment as I think Wellington is the single best barbershop cologne out there.
I love the scent of the GFT shaving cream but this smells a bit like furniture polish (lemon?) to me. I must admit i like it better now than a few months ago when I first opened it (sampler pack) but I wouldn't fork out the cash for a whole bottle. So-so at this point IMHO.
This is surprisingly great stuff. When first opened the bottle I wasn't bowled over by the smell. But in a nod to the complexity therein, it develops overtime and is really nice fragrance. Like all Trumpers, it's a little too pricey (IMHO) but the quality and everything else is top notch. There's a citrus note that stands at the forefront but then gives way to a mixture of earthy and floral notes. Generally I'm not a citrus/floral cologne guy but GFT pulls it off why still staying manly. A solid cologne that I would keep in my rotation.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
Out of all my colognes, this is the one that lasts the longest, along with my old formulation Guerlain Vetiver. It lasts just over 24 hours on my skin and I can often still smell traces of it after a shower.

It is a wonderful smell that starts of with a refreshing burst of lemon and then evolves to reveal the cedar and moss. No matter how much you use it will never give you a headache or offend anyone because it is just so refreshing.

GFT description:
'' fresh and invigorating cologne with top notes of bergamot, lemon and mandarin, a heart of tarragon, lavender and cypress on a musk-like base with cedar and moss.''

The packaging isn't as fancy as the older colognes, like Eucris or Spanish Leather, but is very plain and simplistic. I like it nonetheless as it is definately a more modern scent for a younger market.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
3.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)