What's new

Trumpers Ajaccio Violets

Some violets have a chemical component that desensitizes our ability to pick up their fragrance. If you get close enough to smell them you lose the ability to do so. It is momentary, the scent returns, but you get this binary effect. I have never been to Corsica to smell the violets, and I don't know whether or not this happens with Ajaccio Violets, but this cologne seems to have a subtle, elusive quality.

This is a bright herbal that is very crisp at first. I sometimes pick up an initial powdery blast that I do not care for (I loathe powder in cologne), but not always. When I do it doesn't last long.

I think I read that there is some lavender and mint in this. Mmmm, maybe. This is a very dry, very green floral aroma. It works just fine in the office. It is stays close, but longevity is good. SWMBO loves it on me.

Trumpers quality and packaging. I don't know Mr. Bubbles, but my take is this is Ajaccio Violets is a masculine floral. A gem.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
3.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
1.00 star(s)
I've kept this one in my rotation for several years and use it once in a while. A very pleasant, single note violets scent. A very "clean" scent, no earthy or leathery undetones whatsoever. Surprisingly long lived for such a subtle scent - about 4-5 hrs on me. Almost no sillage, so it will be under the radar for most people around you. Definitely a warm weather scent - most scents can be worn all year but this one is an exception IMO - it just would not work on a cold gloomy winter day. Usual high quality Trumper bottling and overall package. Best match soap is the QED violetta.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
3.00 star(s)
Staying Power
3.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
1.00 star(s)
I do like this cologne, though it takes some getting used to. It smells nothing like the shave cream which is unfortunate, because the cream is one of the best I have ever smelled. Neverthless, this is a scent you won't smell on everybody walking down the street, and while I wouldn't say this is a must have (like some of the SMN fragrances) it is still a great product.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Complexity
3.00 star(s)
Staying Power
3.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
5.00 star(s)
I got this in a sample pack from Trumpers and it does indeed smell like Mr. Bubbles bubble bath! Not exactly what i want in a mens fragrance. It smells more like an old lady perfume!
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Complexity
2.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
1.00 star(s)
I first tried this as a sample. I've since bought a splash bottle.

In the bottle it does smell very distinct and bright--just like the Eucris hair dressing. When it is splashed on it intensifies and has an odd yet pleasant scent.

When it settles down it is a sunny and reassuring green floral fragrance. It's sort of like a simpler and more refined Grey Flannel in a way. It's lovely, but it does seem to diminish pretty quickly into something very mellow and subtle.

It can be used as an aftershave or cologne, so it's versatile too.

So in the final analysis, I love the fragrance as a way to cheer up your day, and I greatly enjoy the quirkiness of it. It does seem to fade all too quickly though. I will still continue to use and enjoy it for all of its virtues.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
1.00 star(s)
Staying Power
2.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
1.00 star(s)
Sample vial, so no ratings for price, packaging, or atomizer. I enjoy the scent of violets...but not on my person, I have discovered. A straight-up violet aroma that (unfortunately for me) lasted a good 5-6 hours before fading away. If you like florals (as I tend to do), you might be tempted to try this, but be warned...
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Complexity
0.00 star(s)
Staying Power
2.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
1.00 star(s)
Or rather, effeminate, given that it is a men's cologne after all. I don't know what mr bubbles smells like, but i can confirm that it is a single, floral note. I bought a bottle on sale, hated it, gave it to my aunt as perfume. A good while later i bought Eucris hair oil, which is not scented with Eucris cologne, but rather Ajaccio Violets, it seems! Having smelt the hairdressing/tonic/hair oil, i decided to give the Violets another chance and purchased another bottle - again on sale - this time spray. After really trying to like it for some time, i must concede that it really is not that good. My 9 year old niece loves it though!

If you're looking for that gorgeous violet shave cream smell, forget it. This stuff is entirely different, unfortunately. For the dirty, alluring giddy violet smell of Trumpers Violets shaving cream, try Penhaligon's Violetta, which is very similar. Despite ostensibly being a perfume, it smells great and sells well as a cologne, apparently!
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Complexity
0.00 star(s)
Staying Power
3.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
5.00 star(s)
I'm not typically as fan of floral scents when it comes to cologne. I think that they are great in creams, soaps, and even aftershaves but for cologne, I'm just not a fan. That said, Trumpers does make some solid floral colognes. Some surprise me more than others but as with all their cologne, they are high quality, expensive, well packaged, and have great staying power.

Now that that's out of the way, let's talk about the scent. I'm not a gardener or botanist or even an amateur flower lover so I didn't really have many preconceived expectation of Ajaccio Violets but what I got still seemed weird. Mind you, scent is a very powerful scent and up for interpretation so your individual results may vary. What I got was Mr. Bubble. :eek:

You remember Mr. Bubble right? It was that bubble bath we had as kids. Before the comic book and Power Ranger branded bubble bath, Mr. Bubble was the man. He was that giant smiling bubble on the pink/purple (I can't remember) plastic bottle. While that's a great try down memory lane, that's NOT what I'm looking for in a cologne. I swear this stuff smells just like Mr. Bubble. Needless to say, I'm not a fan.:frown:
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
3.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)