What's new

Trumper Violet

Pros: Scent, quality
Great cream - top quality scent. As good as a cream gets.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
This is the firmest of all Trumpers shave cream I have tried to date and one can often make the mistake of loading your brush with too much of the cream. I feel it gets a raw deal with reviews. I found it to be super slick. The scent, assuming you like violets, can be overpowering, especially at the crack of dawn, if you dislike violets, then, well, stay away as it is one of those acquired tastes, it compliments your early morning cup of rose hip and chamomile tea!.
I found my skin to be moist and smooth after the shave and using an after shave balm I was overall, very happy with the experience. The only negative on this cream is its' colour. The violet is extremely purple and if you are using a silver tip or fine brush, you may tint your brush ends slightly.
Price-wise it will always be steep because Trumpers sell by the 200 gr pot as opposed to the 165 or 150 gr pots the opposition produces. This gives the impression that it always more expensive. My new pot cost me 15GBP back in the summer at their Jermyn street store.
Summing up, a luxurious shave with a thick, unctuous lather that easily allows for 3 or 4 passes with good moisturising properties, just watch out for the colour on your brush tips.
This has become my favorite SC (I often use w/ Lavender SS for uberlather).
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Price: fair for what you get.
I like the scent, wish it were a little more intense
Lathers better than Trumpers of T&H
Lubricity is not as good as most other high end creams, but has a great cushion. When mixed with a few drops of glycerine, it is my favorite cream concoction. Oh yeah, I really like the color.
This is a quality product no doubt!

I used to shake a lot of water out of the brush but now after soaking the brush i let it drain itself and give the brush one or two drops of the hand without a flick or shake. Then i just very lightly swirl the tips of the brush on the cream and then proceed to lather the tips very slowly and lightly (as to not drop the water) on my face slowly picking up the pace till I can move the brush quicker when the cream has mixed with the water.

Trumpers violet has lovely smell when I started lathering in this fashion, shake too much water out and the smell can be sweet. You don't need much for a wonderful shave that will leave the face and skin in nice fresh and moisturized condition, truly wonderful stuff.

I love the old school tub it comes in and considering the size/quality and the fact that you don't need much the price is fair. Give my lathering method a try and see if you change your mind or if you are thinking of trying it for the first time go for it as it really is a quality product.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I'm very disappointed with this cream. It is my first Trumper's, and I expected it to outperform one of the TOBS's that I had. Far from it. Except for the scent, that might be somewhat appealing to someone that likes sweetie scents, everything else is just bad. It lathers fast, but it comes up with very inconsistent lather, full of almost microscopic, but quite visible bubbles. It feels dry, but the moment you add water it brakes apart and vanishes from your face. The blade slips on whiskers, no lubrication there...no moisturizing...no nothing...just residues of lather on your brush that need extra cleaning.

My recommendation is - skip this one and go for cheaper (and better) TOBS. :thumbup1:
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
1.00 star(s)
This has instantly become my favorite cream. While I enjoy TOBS, T&H Prorasso, the only thing that I might like better is SMN. The fragrance is truly outstanding, and it produces prodigious amounts of lather with a small dollop of cream. The lather is rich and quite lubricating. If you like a floral fragrance, this is a must have product.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Introduction: Geo F. Trumper (GFT) seems to be known for their creams. Their soaps seem to fly under the radar, probably because of the absence of tallow in them. GFT creams seem to be very popular and loved. GFT creams also seem to attract greedy vendors. Most vendors overcharge for GFT creams, to the point that GFT creams are almost not worth it. Let's see how this one fares.

Price: The tub of GFT Violet I got was $23.75. I knew where to purchase the cream, so I avoided the greedy merchants who overcharge for GFT creams. $23.75 isn't too bad for 200 grams of shaving cream. GFT creams cost about 12 cents a gram, while Taylor of Old Bond Street (TOBS) creams cost 9 cents a gram. Three more cents per gram is not a lot, especially when you consider that GFT is a step above TOBS.

Lather: I got a great lather with little effort. Need I say more?

Scent: GFT Violet is a floral scent. I personally despise rose, but I love violet. The scent is sweet, but in my opinion, not too sweet. What I think is funny is how people say GFT Violet is too feminine for them, but then they turn around and use rose. The scent also lingers a little. I rarely notice a lingering scent on anything, but this scent stayed around for quite some time. That's a good thing because the scent is pleasant and not offensive.

Shave: I shaved with my straight and got a decent shave. Had I used the Merkur HD, I'm sure I would have BBS right now.

Moisturizing properties: My face feels moist and healthy.

Packaging: The tube comes in a nice violet box. I love the packaging.

Final thoughts: I love this cream. It is amazing. If I were to suddenly stop liking the scent, I'd still purchase the cream just for the color. The rich violet color looks rich and beautiful. I would definitely purchase GFT Violet again.

Where to purchase: The best place to purchase GFT creams is at ShavingEssentials.net. Unlike his fellow merchants, John does not overcharge for GFT creams. Some merchants charge upwards of $30 per tub. Either I'm missing something or they are in la-la land thinking people will pay that.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Price and Packaging were marked N/A as I got this in their sampler set. I really did not care for this cream. The scent was unappealing, and, although I am a newbie, I have gotten better lathers out of other creams I've tried so far. It also did not seem to do much in the moisturizing department.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Latherability
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
2.00 star(s)
This is my first Trumpers cream. Very impressive, and on par with most other British creams out there. If you like violet, it's well worth trying.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
:rolleyes: I almost didn't review this cream. I have used all of the Trumper creams and mainly because of the tint, (deep purple) do not like using this cream. I use silvertip brushes and on the rare occasion I retry this cream, I spend an extra 3 to 5 minutes washing the purple tint out of my brush! The first time I used it I thought it had permanently died my brush PURPLE!! MY ENTIRE REVIEW OF THIS CREAM has been carefully thought out as to be fair due to my intense dislike of its stong tint, (what were they thinking?). ANYWAY
PRICE: it is what it is--it will last a long time with its larger size, (unfortunatly)
QUALITY: has the consistancy of all Trumper creams .
SCENT: actually pretty nice
LATHERABILITY: Good but the worst of the Trumper line of creams
EFFICACY: again, the worst in the Trumper line BUT BETTER than alot of others it pains me say, above average.
MOISTURIZING PROPERTIES: somewhat disappointing considering TOB's Violet at less than 1/2 the price, alittle above average.
PACKAGING: Trumper's tub with liner will keep the product fresh for several years.
CONCLUSION: :frown:I'LL NEVER BUY THIS AGAIN!! to me this jsut proves the old saying; "One mans trash is another mans treasure". Go figure
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
i love this cream. the smell is nice without being overpowering and the shave is great.
just soak your brush, squeeeze it, shake it 3 times, swirl tips in cream, wet face, spread lather on face and dip tips in water maybe 2 or 3 times. don't use a lot of water, you'll wash out the cream.

this provided a very comfortable shave. one of my fav's. very relaxing smell and shave.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I find this cream greatly overpriced considering it does not provide a particularly protective or slick surface and the later is nothing special. It's not bad, it's just not worth the money when the readily available substitutes, like Taylor's products, or Proraso, are more lubricating, give a better shaving surface, and are much less expensive. As for the fragrance, it is a synthetic, strong violet smell, rather cloying, but not disgusting. I used Taylor's products before trying Trumper's, first the Limes, then this, and I've gone back to Taylor and Proraso.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
2.00 star(s)
When I received this tub I loved the package. I also loved the way it smelled. So far so good. It did lather real well. Thats where it ends

My skin seem to keep drying out. When I was done my neck was red and itched. I figured I must have done something wrong. I tried it a few more times with the same results. It just doesnt work for me. My skin is already too dry to begin with. I apply some skin food and it burns. I do not have this reaction with other creams. Even the coconut cream doesnt cause my skin this type of reaction. Maybe you will have better results. If your skin is dry to begin with you have been warned.

~BIL~
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
I too love this, and C&E Sandalwood burns my skin if i do a multi pass shave

bigbadbyrnes;714953 said:
This is a great cream for every now and again for my opinion. My beard is thick as hell and its taken me some six months to get consistent close results with my merkur HD and superspeed and my skin seems to react to some soaps and creams (C&E Sandalwood soap for example, burned like purgatory) and I find that this cream too seems to burn after about six minutes of lather being on my face. I agree with Phog Allen that if used daily I would end up with some fairly bad shaving rash as this cream does not lubricate and protect especially well.

But what makes the cream great fun to use (and the reason I brought myself a tube of it) is the wonderful stench it emits. I think almost everyone should try this once to experience the very rich, even if synthetic and perhaps over-powerful, aroma of violets.

So again, not great as a cream in terms of doing the job, but the scent makes it worth it to put aside as a Sunday morning treat.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
I picked up a small sample of this cream at a local shoppe and gave it a whirl this morning. The scent is certainly nice I will say. It whipped up a rich lather quickly and did a decent job on my face after 3 passes.
I do like the Trumpers lineup with the exception of the prices. I have visited both shoppes in London and found them to be a delightful place to visit,but smaller items and just generally browse.

So a good shave with this and I hope to try the others in the lineup soon.

As for the scent: Nice but like others have mentioned, the fragrance is more feminine than I would like. Hence one reason i wanted to try it and move on to the next.

Jim
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
I got a sample of this with a purchase. I got one use and my wife got 3 uses on her legs. She loves this shave cream (thought it was the first real cream she used with a brush). The scent is a little strong for me, but like all GFT products the shave is fantastic. My cheeks and her legs had never been smoother! I'll be buying some "for her". :lol:
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
1.00 star(s)
For me I think of all Trumper's creams this is my favorite. They all perform equally well (except Lime, something's up with that one) but the scent of this bady just bowls me over. I was very skeptical when I started down the wet shaving path of all the guys who raved about floral shave creams. I thought they we a little off. But Trumpers Violet turned that all around. Like all of their products, it's a little on the pricey side but the texture was thick, it smelled like heaven and lathered like a monster. I recommend you pick up a tube/tub. And hey, if you don't like it just send it over to me.:biggrin:
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Not bad. Trumper quality, but not my favorite scent. For me, this cream is very similar to Trumper Rose in function, but less appealing in appearance and scent.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
I have to say that I love this stuff. I was initially reluctant to buy it as I thought “violet??”

With that said, after taking the plunge I find it to be an excellent product. The cream works well and unlike others, I like the deep purple color. I also really like the fragrance. It brings me back to me a childhood memory, of all things, some sort of breath mint. I think it was called “sens sens” or something like that. Anyway, I think that it is a great product and I definitely will keep using it.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)