What's new

Trumper Skinfood - Extract of Limes....

Pros: Excels in the Summer
Cons: Although fantastic and very fresh, the highly fleeting scent is somewhat of a disappointment
Probably the freshest limes scent I've ever used, however highly fleeting. That said, skin food continues to exceed my expectations, both as a pre/post shave treatment. Combined with GFT's Limes or Coconut creams, skin food is probably my favourite Summer shave I've ever had. Splash on a bit of Ogallala Limes & Peppercorns for a lingering scent and I'm walking on cloud nine for the entire day.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Price on sale, quality, scent, effective
Cons: Scent could last longer
got a 200ml bottle on sale for $25 shipped, will last me years. scent could be strong. works great, feels great, smells great. a little goes a long, long way. worth every penny.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Scent, longevity
Cons: Price
Moisturizes better than it's sandalwood cousin and is great for summer weather. Price is a bit high but it does last very long. I was very happy with it.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I used my Extract of Limes skin food again this morning and was reminded how disappointed I am with it.... The scent is pleasant but I feel it is way too greasy going on, and it doesn't absorb into my skin sufficiently, leaving a tight film on my face when int dries! The price was exorbitantly high for the results:thumbdown
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
0.00 star(s)
Based on the sampler I got from GfT (which, by the way, lasts way longer than the shaving cream sampler... I'm just sayin'), this stuff is excellent.

Price: A little goes a long, long way - so I think it's a decent value

Quality: This is a subjective opinion rating - kind of an overall rating. I just think it's very, very good - but not quite perfect, you know?

Fights Razor Burn: The testament to this was the time that I dulled the edge of my straight with poor stropping technique. I was feelin' some burn, but skin food put the brakes on that.

Cooling Sensation: A tiny bit on the light side in terms of cooling, but a very comfortable amount for daily use. I can't use Proraso every day, but this stuff, I could.

Scent: I dig it. Purely subjective, of course. Not super strong, which is appropriate for an AS.

Efficacy: Overall, it is very effective.

Moisturizing: Alright, but not great. By no means greasy on my face - PS, if it's greasy on you, you're probably using a bit too much, IMO. I was surprised at how little I needed.

No Alcohol Burn: Next to none on my face. Of course, I hit it with a cold water rinse and an alum block first, so maybe that's why.

In general, I'm just very impressed with Skin Food (I have a sample of Coral as well). I think you have to try this at some point, but my advice would be to get the 100ml bottle. It will last longer than you think.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
It's my "go to" aftershave when I'm looking for something lightly-scented and refreshing.

Point by point:

Price - it is a little expensive, but a little goes a long way.

Quality - it's top-notch stuff - it's Trumpers! Seriously though, given it's scent and how well it works, it's really nice stuff.

Razor burn/Cooling sensation - it's basically a not-applicable for me. I don't get razor burn and while it lists menthol as an ingredient, it really has no cooling sensation.

Scent - I really like the scent. I'm sometimes sensitive to strong scents and this is the product I turn to when I want something subtle.

Moisturizing - it does a nice job of moisturizing. Some guys might not like the slightly sticky feeling it has after application, but I don't mind it.

Alcohol burn - none to speak of.

This is a really nice product. The sandalwood version is also very nice.
I was fortunate enough to receive a sample of this with my order from John @ Shaving Essentials.

First off, the OP is completely ludacris to state that this product is "superior" to Nivea, that is CLEARLY based on the misconception that higher price = higher quality product. WRONG!

My advice is this, don't buy this product unless you are seeking it's particular (read: short-lived) scent, otherwise you will be truly disappointed. :thumbdown

Maybe this product's poor performance has to do with it's CURRENT ingredients.

FYI Current Ingredients: Rosa Damascena (Rose) Flower Distillate, Aqua (Water), Glycerin , Alcohol Denatured, Astragalus Gummifer, Parfum (Fragrance), Menthol, Benzyl Alcohol, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Citral, Limonene.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
i love this stuff, my most used aftershave, i use it even on a non shaving day if i fell that my skin is a bit dry. I like the scent, but it disappears pretty quickly... this is my favorite of all trumpers products
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
I've been using this product for a few weeks following numerous very good reviews on Badger and Blade and french forums.

My expectations were consequently very high, so is my disappointment.

I've tried this product at different steps :
- as a pre-shave oil, I did not notice any particular improvement of the shave using this skin food. However, even with the proraso Pre/post, I do not find strong improvement. The best preparation to me is a good shower (hot water + soap + soft scrub).

- as an after shave, this product is very poor. It does not calm razor burn at all and does not suppress the red spots of irritations as many other balms do very well.

- as a daily moisturizing lotion, moisturizing is OK but not as good as some other creams dedicated to it (like for instance some Clinique products...).

Good sides of the product is that it does not leave any greasy effect on the skin, everything is absorbed and the scent is pleasant.

In conclusion, I have not find the right use of this product and did not notice that it has a strong action to improve my skin... like I have read on some reviews.
I won't buy it again.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
0.00 star(s)
I was disappointed with the quick disappearance of the scent and the stuff was slightly runny. On par with the other skin foods as far as performance, with a decent scent. I wouldn't recommend it unless you are on a quest for lime products.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
1.00 star(s)
I too use this product pretty much exclusively for my pre-shave routine. Farrell on the "Ask a Barber" thread suggests using SF or pre shave oil under your hot towel prior to your shave.

I have used both and think I like the SF a bit better. It moisturizes while providing a slick foundation for your cream/soap during your first pass. If you've had a particularly rough day before, this stuff works wonders.

The few times I've used it after the shave, its seemed awfully heavy. That said, I will only reach for it in the future during very cold days.

Overall though, I'm very glad I purchased this product. The scent is AMAZING out of the bottle. Unfortunately, it dissipates almost immediately. But, what is left behind does the job you ask it to do: heal and seal the skin.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
0.00 star(s)
I use this exclusively pre-shave. This is my favorite scent of the three skinfood varieties I´ve tried. I combine this one with all cream-scents except for florals like lavendel and rose. For those I prefer the Coral.

Including skinfood in my preshave has improved my shaves significantly. I apply it just before the first pass lather.

I don´t understand how anyone can find this expensive. My first sample lasted about 6-8 weeks with daily use, and I expect my 100 ml bottle to last at least a year.
I find this product just OK, and not really worth the price of admission. In all honesty, my own batch of CHL, Witch Hazel, aloe vera gel, menthol crystals and Lime EO is just as good IMO.

Scent is great however, and really finishes off a Limes shave nicely. I use it to "lock in" all the other shaving goodies.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Really love this product works great and has a wonderful lime aroma. Seems a little sticky when it goes on by dries nice, you need very little product. Goes wonderful with the Trumper's West Indian Limes Aftershave.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I find that this doesn't help me much when my face really needs it after a shave - if I'm going to put on something this thick I want more soothing.

However it is very useful to put on if my face is still annoyed by bed time - the lime scent won't kill me as I sleep, whereas others get trapped by the pillow and become overpowering, and I need less soothing at night. So I'm still using is as a... long long time after shave.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
Like some others, I find just 2 drops to do the trick. Still, it's an expensive product. If I had to choose, I'd go with the lime scent over the coral scent. (I think Trumper's lime scented shaving cream smells better.) It does feel nice on this skin during the hot & humid summertime weather in New York City.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Trumpers makes some great stuff. Their skinfood is a quality product. I can't say that I've seen any substantial razor burn relief or moisturization from the Skinfood but seals the skin well and is priced reasonably. My one major complaint with the Extract of Limes is the same as the Coral. To me the scent is really offputting. Now take that with a grain of salt because scent is a very personal thing. However, to me this stuff smells like lime Lifesavers candy. While not bad per se, it's not what I'm looking for in an aftershave product.

Bottom line, if skinfood the best stuff ever? No. Is it a decent product you should try for yourself? Most definitely.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
I'm just flat out IN LOVE with this stuff. Ok... so it doesn't cure cancer, or completely stop any and all razor burn... but it smells great (I just want to DRINK the stuff), and really moisturizes well. I sometimes use it for pre-shave, but due to the price I mostly use Corn Huskers for that, and use the Lime Skin Food for post-shave. Combines great with Trumper's Lime Cologne, and other brand's scents.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Just a quick comment....here in Colorado, the Trumper Skin Food is simply not moisturizing enough for my skin. It might be a different story if I still lived in Houston!

I use the Skin Food mainly as a light pre shave, followed by Nivea Sensitive AS Balm.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
I love this skin food. But first, the price seems really high for the size of bottle and amount you get. I feel the larger bottle is a better value but still pretty high. The 100ml bottle is around 25 dollars average and will fit in the palm of you hand. The good news is a little really does go along way. I use two drops and it covers my whole face. I don't really use this as a true aftershave, more like a moisturizer or lotion. I use an alcohol base splash first and after that has dried I use two drops of the skinfood. Works great for me, my face feels smooth and irritation free all day. I find it works really well if I had a bad morning shave, though maybe one more drop needed. I t doesn't really have cooling sensation, more a soothing sensation. Their is no burn at all. The scent is great and doesn't last long at all, so that can be a good thing or a bad thing. For me it is good, it doesn't interfear with my cologne. Overall I am really impressed impressed with their product and don't have the same tacky feeling as others do. Try some you just might like it.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)