What's new

Trumper Sandalwood Soap

Item Description

Well, with perhaps one exception I am not a fan of Trumper's creams. A lot has been said about their soaps, however, so I thought I would give one a try. This scent is completely different from their sandalwood cream or cologne. I am not sure if it is just the matrix it is in or the scent is deliberately different, but it is a very welcome change. The cologne is extremely sweet and (dare I say) overpowering. The soap has a very dry, woody, masculine scent that is actually quite understated.

And the shave? Top notch. Very thick and rich lather in the classic tallow-based model, and very slick. Shaves like a dream.

Sure it is expensive, that is my only knock against it. I have a unexplainable liking for those wooden bowls, despite them being a major PITA.

I would rank this as good as Tabac, Harris, etc. in terms of shave quality. Very good stuff.

This review is being discussed here.

Latest reviews

I know there are a lot of guys that like this soap, but I am going to give an honest review of my experience.

Compared to other soaps, its on the pricey said. It is Trumpers, so yeah.

I didn't find it very moisturizing. I could never produce very good lather either.

As much as I wanted to like the soap, the #1 thing that turned me off of this soap was the scent. It smells like a hotel bath soap I smelled once, and when I immediately made that connection, it was a let down. Maybe it's just me, not every sniffer is created equal. But I have smelled waaay more acceptable sandalwood scents than Trumpers and even paid less. Oh well.

With that said and the aforementioned attributes, I don't give it a high quality rating. Maybe I got a fluke puck. I don't know. Sample the scent before you buy, that's about the best advice i can give.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
I have been using this soap for 3 days, and love the scent. It is the closest I have found to the CE Sandalwood, which I loved. The soap works well, except I am having problems building a lather which lasts. Don't know if that is my hard water, or what. I have used shave soaps off and on for over 20 years, and have had this problem only once before, with the Classic Shaving brand. With the Trumpers I have to re soap several times because the lather virtually disappears after a couple of minutes. However, despite that, I get a great shave, and have no problems with the moisturizing. The scent stays around faintly for a couple of hours, which is just the way I like it. If the lathering disappearance doesn't improve after a couple more tries, I may buy the cream for the scent, or try the Taylor's sandalwood.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
This is an excellent soap. It's not as creamy as some of the other soaps I use (like Cade), but it gets the job done, and well. I think that where it really shines is in the scent department. It's very clean and fresh for a sandalwood. I have to charge my brush twice to get a good lather with it, but I have very hard water, so it's not a real strike against the soap. The bowl is great too.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)