What's new

Trumper rose soap

Trumpers Rose has been in my rotation for quite a while. Each and everytime I use it, I wonder why it's not my only soap...but variety is the spice of [shaving] life, right?!?

The scent blows me away, EVERYTIME! I just love the dry rose scent. It's nothing like the Trumpers Rose cream (which Dad uses). The cream is really nice and Rosy but is way too sweet and smells nearly feminine. The dry rose of the soap however is very a manly scent, no wonder it is Trumpers oldest traditional soap!

The lather is fantastic! It is the ONLY non-tallow soap that gets regular use in my rotation. I can easily compare the creamy, slick lather to pretty much any of my tallow soaps. It wont dry out the face, although not as moisturising as MWF or Speick, I still give it 8/10 as it definitely left the skin feeling good.

Trumpers did great with the reformulation of their soaps and it just goes to show, tallow or no tallow, get the recipe right and you will have a winner! :thumbup:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I bought this soap with the wooden bowl, and compared to other respected English offerings, I feel this is a reasonably priced product.
A well presented, triple-milled vegetable soap, in an outstanding wooden bowl. It stands proud amongst other soaps in my rotation.
The rose scent is one of the nicest things about this soap. I find it lingers throughout the shave, and as a face latherer, the scent whilst building lather is heavenly.
Of all the Trumper's range, the rose lather easily stands out as the absolute best. Lather is easily generated, thick, slick, and very protective.
After every shave, my face always feels smooth. It's not quite the MWF after feel but nevertheless, a great feeling.
I have tried all the Trumper range, and for me, this rose soap is so far ahead in performance, it now remains my sole Trumper soap. Will I buy again when used? ABSOLUTELY YES.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
GFT Rose is a decent soap that I've been working my way through a puck recently. The rose scent on the soap is decent, but fleeting once you start to lather.

It is a nice triple milled soap that I think the wooden bowls are actually worth splurging on. This effectively makes the price of the soap quite high though. If you are only buying the puck then it would be a decent price.

I never have any problem building up mounds of lather from this soap. However, the cushion and slickness are quite lacking despite the thick lather generated.

Overall, once I'm done with the puck it will not be getting replaced. I think Klar barber's soap is a much better rose scented soap for a fraction of the cost.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
I've had Trumpers Rose for a few months now. I really liked it at first, the scent is excellent, a clean, natural Rose. And I though I got good shaves with it. But as my technique increases by increments, so I think, is my ability to discern bigger differences between the soaps and creams I use.

Having come back to this lately, I simply can't get a decent shave with it. Getting great lather is no problem, although it's a very hard soap, so a bit of hot water to soften it does help. The upside of this, is it's a soap that will outlast many others, evening out its smaller size and bigger price.

It's not as slick as other soaps I like, and sometimes I get a little irritated from it. I was so underwhelmed with a recent shave and the rising irritation on my first pass, I abandoned the lather and finished with Mr Taylor's cream.

So it's going to the back of the cabinet for now, and will revisit much later. But I can't see myself buying it again.
Price is right in line with any quality triple milled soap.
Quality is what you would expect from Trumpers, truly classy packaging and presentation. The wood bowl is a nice luxury.
Scent is a mild powdery rose. It is rather mainstream generic and not nearly as nice as DRH Pink.
Lather is phenomenal, very moist, peaky, tops in my book.
Efficacy is right up there with the best of them.
Moisturizing - not really but soaps aren't supposed to. If you know how to work a good lather and charge enough, this is not an issue.

Overall - an everyday workhorse soap. You will not be disappointed day in day out with Trumpers. It will not blow you away on first use, but will not disappoint 1-2 weeks later either. A worthwhile investment IMO.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
Price: It was good I consider ~$30 good for a soap of this type.

Quality: Wow, great shave, with great prep. the lather was slightly dry but not in a bad way. Its kinda weird it cover my face opaque style but is not frothy.

Scent: Smells like a talc rose lite almost not there. I like it, my girl loves it, so a win-win.

Lather: Kinda dry, more water may be mixed in but I dont mind I like mine kinda dry with a little bit of water in it. The Feather AC responds very well to either a wet or dry-ish lather - makes it easier to shape goattee area when its a little dry but not crackin'.

Efficacy: It did an amazing job. Like MWF I'm ordering two more pucks after my first or so uses so that I almost never run out. This formula just attacks hair follicles and helps to mow them down. Its slickness helps me to avoid those pesky weepers. It also hand massage my lather in as a new step in my lathers but when using this it works.

Moisturing: Not really but I dont really need moisture with oily skin and I put a moisturizer on after it.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
One of the finest soaps I've tried, lathers easily, extremely slick, the razor glides around my face and the scent is second to none.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
D
My first soap. My skin is dry and sensitive, so I had previously used only creams... Big mistake, first shave with this was my best ever. This stuff lathered so much, I thought the puck would be gone in a couple of shaves, but,
I haven't put a noticeable dent in it after a week and 1/2! Razor worked effortlessly, which made for a very comfortable shave, after my normal 2 pass on the cheeks and lip, 3 pass on the neck and chin, I couldn't feel a whisker. No irritation at all! Unheard of for me. Highly recommend this soap to dry/sensitive skin users out there who think you need a cream.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Review of new, tallow-free formula.

I only wish I could have tried the original as the reformulation is almost perfect!
My only complaint is the price is more than Harris/ TOBS etc and the puck is smaller, but that really is picking at straws.
This soap gives me hope for the Penhaligon's upcoming reformulation, if Trumpers can get rid of tallow and still have a sopa as good as this, there's hope yet...
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
not much to add to the above reviews except to say that the scent of this soap is pretty much the scent of turkish delight.
Right here in front of me I have
a sample of TOBS Rose cream, acup of Olivia´s Rose crema, the D.R. Harris Pink aftershave and a nice wooden bowl of Trumpers Rose Soap.

These do in fact smell rosy.
But only the crema from Olivia smells like *real* roses.
That does not mean I prefer this smell to the others.

The trumpers Rose came in a nice looking wooden bowl that measures
10cm diameter inside, and 10.5 on the outside
that makes it big enough to pick up some soap with my 23mm brush with no problems
and without that much of a mess.
The soap itself is pink in color and looks like a big piece of candy.

When you pick up the lid you will instantly be welcomed with a nice smell!

The scent is decent, yet prompt. It is a very(!) sweet and dry scent
that has a little powderness to it.
It smells just a bit artificial but certainly not bad.

The scent reminds me of the Pink AS without beeing identical.
The TOBS does have something to it
that the Trumper does not have

I think if you like one of these three scents;
Pink, TOBS or Trumper, you will probably like the others as well

Producing a perfect lather has been difficult. I am yet to find the perfect water/soap ratio
because I JUST got the soap.
But the one time I tried I still got a nice and slick lather
that did not dry my face at all

Seems like a pretty good soap
and a soapy alternative for the TOBS cream
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
I've been using this soap for about four days now and I have to say that while it's taking me a while to get the soap/water ratio right,I'm getting better -and getting tons of very effective lather.

The fragrance is terrifiic - definitely rose but a bit dry. The efficacy is also great as these shaves have been BBS or DFS without really trying. Trumper's Rose goes right up there with English Fern and the GFT Sandalwood as a staple in the rotation.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
So far I haven't had much luck with Trumper's creams. They're too strongly scented and irritate my skin. However, this rose soap doesn't cause that problem. FYI, I left it out for about two weeks to "air out" some of the fragrance as a precaution but I'm not sure that was necessary. The scent is nice, but not the holy grail natural rose scent I'm longing for. It is a very nice soft powdery rose scent that I think most men who try this stuff would enjoy.

Latherability is excellent. All you need to do is put a small amount of warm water on the soap while you shower to soften it up. The lather is nice and slick too, with plenty of cushion to protect your face from the razor. Performance is above average but not quite on par with a shea butter soap like Pre De Provence. It is more than adequate though and doesn't leave my skin feeling dried out after the shave.

The price could be lower but we're talking about Trumper's here - not a brand well-known as being budget conscious. I paid about $32 shipped for the soap in the wooden bowl. Although I normally don't splurge for bowls and fancy containers this one is very nice and solid and holds the puck nice and snugly so it doesn't spin when you load up the brush. If you can, I'd recommend getting the bowl. In terms of value, I think this soap is a pretty good, if not outstanding deal. Like other triple milled soaps, it will last a long time.

Overall, I can recommend this soap without hesitation.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
I enjoy very much the scent of Trumper's Rose!

It smells really nice and it's a sweet scent!

The lather is also great too, providing great protection.

I don't get any irritation at all, but I also don't get such a close shave my other soaps offer me.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
This is the soap I use when I really want to pamper myself. I agree this is the top of the Trumper line. It just doesn't get better. For me, it is the great smell of roses that wins me over.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I have searched high and low in my town (Vancouver BC) for Trumper's product and finally foudn them at MASC on Davie Street.

I didn't even hesitate over the rose when I picked it up yesterday - based on comments and reviews here, I hoped I was in for a treat, and was.

First off: its a small puck - I would think one of the smallest I have, My C&E Sienna dwarfs this little pink jewel. Its also pricey - $20 CDN.

Scent: OMG! Very nice - clean, subtle, and oh-so gentleman-ly.

Lather: I used a best badger brush - I little stiffer than my Silvertip and it paid off - I swirled on the soap a few times and whipped up an excellent volume and consistency of lather in the bowl - easily enough for my usual 4-pass shave.

Efficacy: Wonderful lubricity, no nicks, no weepers. I run through the settings on my Fatboy 3-5-5-6 (the last being ATG) and I had no burn at all.

Overall: The rose Trumper's seems to live up to its reputation, and I am a convert.
Probably the nicest rose scented soap I've encountered and the performance is on par with GFT's other offerings (very good). It's not incredibly moisturizing but it's also not drying.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I love the scent - rosy without being sweet or overpowering.

Unfortuately one of the chemicals they use slightly irritates my skin - not a huge amount, but it's noticable. I do have skin which is very sensitive to a lot of fragrance oils, so unless you've noticed the same thing don't worry about it.

This is also the slickest soap I've used - when I get soap down onto the handle of the razor it starts feeling actively dangerous.

I've gotten decent lather from it but it's definitely a more challenging lather than my other soaps.

So altogether I feel like it's a pretty good soap but I'm not going to jump up and buy more.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No the others are not the same. This for me at least is the best. A manly rose scent with a neutral effect on the face. A truly great soap. Fantastic for warm weather. In cold dry winters something a little more nourishing with added oils like almond oil fits the ticket better. But I always enjoy the summer months.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
I purchased a new still in the box Trumpers Rose Shaving Soap refill from Telly on the BST and I used it this morning to wonderful effect! I truly never thought it would be this good! It is the first Trumpers soap that I have had the occassion to try and I give it a very high recommendation. The scent is fantastic and it lathers very very nicely. I would be a convert to Trumpers soaps if they all were this good.... Are they?
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)