What's new

Trumper rose soap

Item Description

This is it: the glorious Trumper rose soap. A couple of years ago I purchased and used this product without really knowing much about wetshaving with soap and brush. After numerous lather experiments with cheaper soaps and a lot of reading on B&B I've recently managed to use it with great succes. It truly is a fantastic soap:

PRICE: OK, really expensive but definitely long lasting. For me it's a matter of indulging in luxury a few times a week. I even could imagine making this an exclusive 'sunday soap', which of course would make it a better deal.

QUALITY: what is there left to say? Who could not like the oldfashioned and time tested quality of this fine English brand?

SCENT: For me this is a lovely rose scent: not too strong nor sweet, very subtle. I like this better than the cream version which IMO smells a bit artificial.

LATHER: In the old days I only got big bubbles and a thin, wet lather which gave me a horrible shave. Now I get tremendous amounts of rich creamy lather that doesn't dry out. The difference is softening up the puck of soap with hot water, working it long enough with the brush and finally swirling it some more in a bowl. I find you don't need a lot of product to get lots of beautiful lather.

EFFICACY: a close and clean shave, every time. No irritation at all.

MOISTURIZING: Not bad for a soap. Definitely not drying, but perhaps somewhat of a neutral effect. A light balm afterwards works just fine for me.

Latest reviews

Trumpers Rose has been in my rotation for quite a while. Each and everytime I use it, I wonder why it's not my only soap...but variety is the spice of [shaving] life, right?!?

The scent blows me away, EVERYTIME! I just love the dry rose scent. It's nothing like the Trumpers Rose cream (which Dad uses). The cream is really nice and Rosy but is way too sweet and smells nearly feminine. The dry rose of the soap however is very a manly scent, no wonder it is Trumpers oldest traditional soap!

The lather is fantastic! It is the ONLY non-tallow soap that gets regular use in my rotation. I can easily compare the creamy, slick lather to pretty much any of my tallow soaps. It wont dry out the face, although not as moisturising as MWF or Speick, I still give it 8/10 as it definitely left the skin feeling good.

Trumpers did great with the reformulation of their soaps and it just goes to show, tallow or no tallow, get the recipe right and you will have a winner! :thumbup:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I bought this soap with the wooden bowl, and compared to other respected English offerings, I feel this is a reasonably priced product.
A well presented, triple-milled vegetable soap, in an outstanding wooden bowl. It stands proud amongst other soaps in my rotation.
The rose scent is one of the nicest things about this soap. I find it lingers throughout the shave, and as a face latherer, the scent whilst building lather is heavenly.
Of all the Trumper's range, the rose lather easily stands out as the absolute best. Lather is easily generated, thick, slick, and very protective.
After every shave, my face always feels smooth. It's not quite the MWF after feel but nevertheless, a great feeling.
I have tried all the Trumper range, and for me, this rose soap is so far ahead in performance, it now remains my sole Trumper soap. Will I buy again when used? ABSOLUTELY YES.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
GFT Rose is a decent soap that I've been working my way through a puck recently. The rose scent on the soap is decent, but fleeting once you start to lather.

It is a nice triple milled soap that I think the wooden bowls are actually worth splurging on. This effectively makes the price of the soap quite high though. If you are only buying the puck then it would be a decent price.

I never have any problem building up mounds of lather from this soap. However, the cushion and slickness are quite lacking despite the thick lather generated.

Overall, once I'm done with the puck it will not be getting replaced. I think Klar barber's soap is a much better rose scented soap for a fraction of the cost.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)