What's new

Trumper GFT

a quality product with an excellent, hip scent. a bit drying and the tub graphics are annoying, but other than that, a great shaving cream
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Quality
This was my first time with the Trumpers brand and I am very impressed with it's quality. The scent is mild, but masculine and the lather forms a nice slick glide for the razor. I've used it with both a straight razor and my Merk Progress and it performs well.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
I recently received a tube of GFT-scented cream and will almost certainly buy a tub once I'm through with it. I really like this cream.

Firstly, I'm a fan of George F. Trumper's creams. After trying various soaps and creams, I've learned that the GFT line of creams are definitely my favorites among the big English brands. Trumper's creams lather extremely well for me and provide me with nice moisturizing shaves. My favorites are the Limes, Almond and Coconut creams and now I have to add the GFT to my all time favorites.

Price: GFT, like other Trumper's creams, is expensive, but I don't mind spending on a product I truly like. I have so many products that just didn't do it for me so I consider it money well spent on a product I use a lot and appreciate.

Quality: like the other Trumper's creams, the GFT is a terrific product.

Scent: I love the scent. I usually don't buy cologne-scented creams because I'm super sensitive to strong scents. When I started wet-shaving, I purchased a sampler from Truefitt and Hill and I couldn't use their cologne-scented creams at all. I knew I liked the GFT scent after I'd ordered samples from Geo. F. Trumper. It's a cologne-based scent, but very light, fresh and citrusy. I like it because it's a nice change from my other, more natural creams like the Limes, Coconut and Almond scents.

Efficacy: It's great - it's Trumpers.

Moisturizing: I dinged it slightly, since it's less moisturizing than other Trumper's creams. I rank the Almond as most moisturizing, followed by the Coconut. The GFT-scented cream isn't quite as moisturizing but it's adequate.

Packaging: I dinged it a little. The tube is very plain-Jane and I believe the tub is similar. I love the nice script, etc., on the other Trumper's creams. The GFT packaging is just too minimalist, considering the cost. I guess, I like to see the quality in the packaging if I'm paying top-dollar for a cream. Overall, a minor issue though.

Bottom line is that it's one of my favorite creams now.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
I tried a sample of this and was rather surprised. It has a delightful fragrance and lathers up well. Not as good as I had hoped but well enough to receive a good shave. I like the Trumper's lineup and have hence only tried the shaving creams in GFT and Violet. I have another 6 different samples to go and am having fun testing!!

Jim
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I got a free sample of this with my razor and I love the scent. It is pricey though worth it in my opinion, I will be picking up a tub of this stuff. Great cream, great scent and it is from a quality brand. Not sure why others are not as enthusiastic about it as I am, I think it is fantastic.

- Aaron
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
displayimage.php

Although I have mainly moved to soaps, there are still some creams that I enjoy using and Trumper's GFT is one of them. The fragrance is really just a light, vibrant scent that really buoys me throughout the day when I couple it with the GFT cologne.

I used it this morning with an SR 3226 brush and it really produces just gops of beautiful meringue-like peaks of lather.

For me, this is my favorite Trumper cream and fragrance:

From the Trumper website about GFT:

A fresh and invigorating cologne with top notes of bergamot, lemon and mandarin, a heart of tarragon, lavender and cypress on a musk-like base with cedar and moss.

It starts out with a citrusy blast and then the dry-down turns into a subtle, woodsy scent. IMO, Trumper hit the nail on the head with GFT.

displayimage.php

Now if they would only make a shaving soap with the GFT scent. :rolleyes:
I can't really comment on the properties of the cream, but the fragrance REALLY sticks around. The day I went to the Grooming Lounge to try products this was a runner up in the store. The longer the day went on, the more impressed I was with how the patch of my hand we'd tried it on STILL smelled of it.

At the end of the day it wasn't really the fragrance for me, though, so I guess it works out that I didn't buy any. If you like the fragrance, you'll be really happy with its longevity. :001_smile
This was my first Trumpers cream so some of the great things about this cream amazed me more than some of you guys who've used other creams in their line up.

Price: It's Trumpers so it's not cheap but it's definately a good value of the money.

Quality: This is great stuff. Just great stuff. Compared to The Body Shop, both Prorasos, and Palmolive, it blows them away.

Scent: It's great. The scent is in full force but not too strong when you open the jar and then stays through the lathering and the entire shave. Granted, if you don't like GFT cologne then you won't like this. It smells exactly the same.

Latherability: Dayum... This stuff is a lathering machine. My almond size dollup was plenty for a good 4 pass shave with extra left over. The lather is dense and coating, like a perfect meringue.

Efficay: Fantastic. Enough said.

Moisturizing: I felt it could have been a little better here. It moisturized well but not outstanding.

Packaging: Again, with some much nice packaging for creams coming out now there is stiff competition. That said, it was better than average.

All in all, a great cream. I recommend it to any fan of the scent.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
GFT cream, you toyed with my emotions. You lulled me into a false sense of security, with your ambivalent previous reviews, and your lack of hype.

Then, I mixed you in my lather bowl. And you lathered like a beast. A leviathan of lubricitous latherage! A surfeit of saintly-scented suds! Then, when I thought you could lather no more, you got into your stride and lathered another bowlful.

You willful little cream.

Toodlepip,

Hobbes
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Trumper wants to tap-into the images of refinement, quality, and style evoked by many great English products, and I think they succeed admirably with GFT.

My first shaves with this cream have come in warm, humid weather, and I've found GFT's light, subtle fragrance really well-suited for those conditions.

Like all the English supercreams, just a little cream, water, and elbow grease created all of the rich, thick, lather I'd need for any sane number of passes.

After a very good experience with Trumper's Violet, I'd hoped to buy some Rose cream at my barber's shop. They had run-out of Rose, though, and he recommended that I try GFT.

As with any of the 3Ts, you pay for what you get: But around ten shaves into this tub, I can say that the money spent has bought a key component of many more great shaves down the road.

I still look forward to trying the Rose cream as well, though!
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
I really love the scent of this cream. I haven't tried the cologne, so I can't comment on similarities or differences in the cream. This was actually my first cream from Trumper, and it encouraged me to make some other purchases from them as well. It lathers up great and provides a nice slick shave. It isn't as moisturizing as other creams, which I attribute to the cologne scent vs. EO scents. I have found other creams that slightly outperform this one, but it definitely will stay in the rotation.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Price is a little high, but it's T&H, and as you can see by the quality rating, it's worth it.

The scent is very interesting, somewhere between a cologne-like scent and something lighter.

It lathers well, and shaves well too. A very good cream that I'm considering adding to my rotation.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
I have used this a few more times, so I wil turn my original thread into an official review. If you wish to comment without reviewing, direct your comments here.

I was one of the first people to bash Trumper for coming out with this cream. I find the GFT cologne scent completely underwhelming - it is yet another citrusy concoction with no soul compared to their other offerings. In general I am not a big Trumper fan, but I do recognize the quality of their products and the history behind them. Sure I would rather have seen a Spanish Leather or English Fern cream, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they understand their market better than I do.

Anyway, rather than complain I figured I would give the cream a shot. Actually, I find myself rather liking it. The scent is more interesting in the cream matrix; I find the musky elements come out more, making it seem better than the one-dimensional cologne. It is quite strongly scented, more so than a lot of the other Trumper creams. If you like lemon, cedar, etc. you wll probably like this. The shave was above average, typical Trumper. Rich lather, decent shave. I like a bit more lubrication than Trumper typically offers; preferring Taylor, Harris, etc., but it was certainly acceptable. I find it a bit drying as well, which I encounter with other Trumper creams.

The one thing that really annoys me is the tub graphics. I miss the detailed Trumper old-school graphics. The stark lettering is quite boring on a high-end product.

If you like Trumper creams, this one is worth a try.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=59641
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability