What's new

Trumper- George F. Eucris Shave Soap

Pros: Lather and scent
The Eucris shave soap has a strong, classic masculine scent that exudes a powerful presence. The scent is strong at first, but tones down to a very nice subtle fragrence that makes the shaving experience enjoyable.

I am okay with the price for two reasons; I enjoy the scent, and it produces a very good lather (without much effort).

Shaving products are very much YMMV, but I find this GFT soap an upscale product. It is well packaged. With my water I find it easy to lather. I wet the soap and let it sit for a few minutes, and then load up the brush. It has worked well with boar, horse-hair and even badger brushes. Then I whip up lather in my bowl. The lather offers good cushioning and is slick. I am more than satisfied with it.

The packaging, the scent, the lather and the overall effect of GFT Eucris are reasons I would rate this as a winner, and must try soap.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Fantastic scent and great looking bowl.
Cons: Lather disappears within moments after putting it on your face.
I received Eucris as a Christmas gift and tried it that morning. The scent is absolutely fantastic. The soap comes in a bowl that is very classy looking.

That first morning I was very very happy with this soap. So much so that I made a review of the product here on the B&B. Keep in mind that I was away visiting relatives when I received this soap and thus my first shave. Since then I have had a change of heart, deleted my initial review, and now make this review of this product.

When I came home is when the problems began. The lather that I was getting was just dismal. I did not have a problem loading the brush or even getting a lather, though it was suspicious in that it had lots of tiny bubbles. The moment that I put it on my face though, it began to immediately disappear. Fortunately, it leaves behind a good cushion so that one can proceed with the shave, but it just is not a very enjoyable experience, especially compared to the experience I get with my tin of Mike's Barber Shop.

Since those attempts I have done research and tried two different ways to lather. The last attempt was from mantic59 who said to take a wet brush and load it on a dry puck. The lather was definitely better, but still dissipated way too soon.

All of this is unfortunate because the scent is just classy. I so want to like this product, but the lather is to up to the level of a puck of Van der Hagen Luxury Soap.

I will continue to use this soap, but as part of a super lather. When it runs out, if Trumper's still has the same formula, I will not buy it.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Fragrance, slickness
Cons: Lather rapidly disappears
Having gone through one tube of the cream version of the Eucris and loving the scent, I thought I would give the soap a try, as previous reviews were mixed.

Regretfully, no matter what I try, even with my softened water, the resultant lather disappears before my eyes, and so it provides no cushion for use with a straight. The redeeming quality is that even as the visible lather is fading, it remains very slick and gives me a comfortable shave with a Feather AS-D2 and Feather blade. The fragrance is very good and lasting.

Floris seems to have done well without tallow in the No 89 and JF, as has Pre de Provence, all of which I use regularly, so what is the problem with the Trumpers? Better to stock up on DR Harris tallow soaps and buy the Eucris cologne, since the fragrance is best attribute of this reviewed soap.

Addendum: I began using this soap with the "Marco Method" and have had much better results with a thicker and longer-lasting creamy lather. It still breaks down faster than a tallow soap, but is much more satisfying to use this way. I will definitely order a refill of this now.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
0.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Lovely scent and good looking packaging/bowl.
Cons: Worst performing shave product I have used in 15 years!
I am a long time GFT fan and their creams represent the largest single manufacture (6 GFT creams) in my growing rotation.

I recently purchased a fresh bowl of Eucris that the retailer imported in December 2012, therefor I believe it to be their most current formulation.

I have tried the soap several times with a tried and true Simpson (Somerset) Duke 2 in best, several Limited Edition Simpson brushes in Manchurian and two band, as well as some Vie-Long horses. Eucris is the only shave soap I have ever used that defies all effort to produce a usable lather. Typically the brushes will not load, the lather produced is thin, and dries quickly leaving the need to reapply. Several trips to the puck, cutting or adding water - nothing works! It has given me my worst shaves ever... Better to dry shave than use this soap.

After an extended effort with this soap today, having butchered my face, I turned to Boellis Panama 1924 and managed to recover to a socially acceptable shave with the same blade/brush combination (full of weepers and irritation from trying Eucris).

GFT in the present formula is a turkey to be avoided. It is a shame to see a fine company put out such a product.

I have had recent good experience with soaps from Boellis, Floris, Penhaligon's, and Mundus. I will be sticking with them until my old favourite, GFT, gets their act back together.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
Pros: mesmerising scent
Cons: lather (or the lack of)
Eucris is most well known from the Eue de Toilette line from GFT. The scent was most mesmerising to me. Words alone would not do the fragrance justice. The earthy aroma had hints of sandalwood, musk, and blackcurrants. Opening the soap box and removing the lid was a pleasant experience warranting me to buy the soap right away.

However we must remember what a shave soap's primary job is - lathering and moisturizing for a comfortable shave. This is where the Eucris soap lacked in perfomance. I read quite a few of instructive threads and watched videos on forming good lather from shave soaps. Armed with my new shave soap forming lather knowledge I gave the Eucris few more
shaving attempts. Eventually, Eucris forms a lather but then it dries and vanishes all too soon. Completing a first pass with a razor (straight or safety) requires at least couple of reapplications of the lather. At the same token, forming the 'snowman' look with the soap is almost impossible as it vanishes too quickly.

On the one hand, I will continue using the Eucris products as I really enjoy the delicate yet masculine scent. The cologne is on my shopping list, perhaps even the shaving cream. On the other hand, if I'm looking for nice lathering soap I'll look elsewhere - perhaps the famous Mitchell's Woolfat Soap or the excellent yet not well known German made Calani shaving soaps.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
this is a great performing soap. the scent is complex and I imagine that many will love it and not too few gents will despise it. The scent is too heavy for me and alas, gives me a headache. Too bad because otherwise this is a tremendous shaving soap. It is a less expensive way, however, to determine if you like the Eucris scent.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I've been shaving with this soap for the last ten days and its one of the best I've tried. I don't think gft soaps are that much overpriced considering the quality you get and how long they last. What I find is different from this soap compared to the gft rose or sandelwood is the ease of lathering. From the good advice of b&b members I always put some hot water on top of the new puck before I lather and it really helps. Even doing this I find it takes a bit of work to get a good lather from the sandelwood or rose but I do always get a good shave from them. But this new puck exploded in lather after about twenty swirls of a damp brush. Enough dense rich lather for multiple passes. I also find gft soaps provide a lather that allows the blade to glide around your face. Also I found this soap very moisturizing, the sandelwood can leave my face abit on the dry side but a nice splash is all it takes to finish off a shave with this. I dropped the rating a point or two for scent not because it's a bad scent but I just prefer the rose or sandelwood. Overall :thumbup:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Interesting that the scent comes from blackcurrant leaves rather than berries. I have tried making crème de cassis (blackcurrant liqueur) twice and found that it was essential to include a few leaves along with the berries, in order to get a proper blackcurrant flavor.
I ordered my bowl and an additional refill puck from the English Shaving Shop. It was shipped from UK to Oklahoma in 4 calendar days. Four days is unheard of. Anyway, I was unfamiliar with the frangrance Eucris, but generally, I like most of them, so wasn't too concerned about whether I'd like it or not. Luckily, I like it a lot. I have a tallow Rose GFT soap and a veggie Violet soap, which is still my favorite Trumpers soap. I have learned how to make a good lather with the Trumpers soaps, using distilled water because my tap water is hard.

I found the Eucris soap to be a good shaving soap, just as I had hoped, based on my previous experiences with the above-mentioned soaps.

I will need a number of shaves with the Eucris to really form a bond with it and to learn to get the very best lather it will make.

However, the quality of the shave was very good. I think the lather is not as "tight" or "crisp" as the other Trumper soaps, if that makes any sense. It's justs a bit different. Not really a negative, just a difference. That's not unusual, because the recipe is different.

One thing I noticed about the lather is that the razor was just skating around as it handily disposed of the whiskers. The lather is slick. The protection and glide provided by this lather were quite effective.

Trumper's new product is well done. It isn't cheap, nor should it be. Good stuff should be worth the price, and the Eucris shaving soap is no exception. The black bowl is a nice touch of class, in my opinion.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I received my Eucris Soap this morning, along with another bottle of Eucris EDT. I bought directly from the Trumper's website, simply because I've had bad experiences with second tier fragrance retailers, and what I would call "forged" juice.

I gave it a whirl right off the bat, using a Micromatic and a Personna GEM blade. The brush I used for my lather was a Crabtree & Evelyn super badger in faux ebony.

The bowl it comes in is very heavy, the lid fits well, the lettering and decoration are tasteful, and the soap is well seated. In these respects, quality is unsurpassed. The soap takes a hit for 2 points, though, because upon opening, it did smell like plastic and cleaning product. Sterile and artificial. This smell has not yet disappeared. Hopefully it will.

I am a huge fan of Trumper's Eucris. As noted above, I am the proud owner of two 100ml bottles of the EDT. In addition, I have a tube of the body wash, which I use on special occasions. The Eucris scent is uniformly fantastic, though it does seem to vary slightly between products. It is still recognizable, though. If I had been blindfolded, I would have recognized the shaving soap immediately as being Eucris. The soap's scent is stalwart. Strong, full, and graceful.

Like all Vegetarian soaps, this one can give trouble for the first few lathers. After my shave, I made 3 rounds of lather, finding that it was getting easier and easier each time. My guess is that pre-soaking this soap will make lathering easier. That being said, the lather that resulted was quite good. Good body, and the thin layer it leaves behind is very slick. It doesn't dry out quickly like other veg soaps, nor does it deflate appreciably.

Efficacy... hard to get at this one. Does it give a good shave? Hell yes. I'll leave it at that.

I don't know if any soaps really moisturize (with the exception of MWF, possibly). I think it is better described by the question "How much does this skin dehydrate your skin?" The answer, in this case, is that it leaves your skin just as loose and comfortable as it was before you shaved. No feeling of taughtness, no discomfort. That's probably a combination of the essential oils within, and the soap's vegetarian diet.

I left price for last with reason. Bear with me; there is method to this madness. While this soap is somewhat expensive, for all the reasons listed above, I think this soap is a bargain. I am glad to pay the premium price for this premium product that pampers the skin and the olfactory glands.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
This review concerns the new Eucris shave soap scent by Trumper.

George F. Trumper perfumers certainly needs no introduction to traditional wet shavers. They are a perennial favourite amongst devotees of traditional wet shaving techniques and their fragrances are quite popular. Their product line contains many items originally from the nineteenth century. It is that tradition that keeps many of us coming back. So when Trumper offers up a new edt fragrance or in this case a shave soap, I take particular notice. Especially when the soap is scented with one of my favourites from Trumper; Eucris. If I am not mistaken, Eucris along with GFT scent of a few years ago are the only new fragrances added to the Trumper shave lather range in decades.

I will not go into a great deal of detail about the scent of Eucris itself. I am not well versed in describing scent notes or their family but I would describe Eucris as a potent, quite masculine scent that exudes a powerful presence. The black currant top notes are the star of the show and I thoroughly enjoy the blast of this fragrance upon application. It should be noted the black currant component is not from the fruit but of the leaves of the currant bush.

The ingredients of this newest version of Trumper's soap is slightly different than their regular vegetable based soaps. It contains cocoa butter which I think is a very good thing. The use of cacao oil in shave sticks like QED Mocha Java is quite skin friendly and since cocoa butter is a saturated fat it lends itself well to shave soaps. I like it and find the lather from this soap to be much nicer than my old version of Trumper almond.

Price: This is one of the harder categories for me to rate with this soap. I paid $29.95 U.S. at QED for mine. I am okay with the price since I love the scent so much. However, it is not an inexpensive purchase and that may weigh in your decision.

Quality: Again, quite subjective but overall this is upscale all the way. As mentioned I really like the look of the Eucris packaging. It spans the product line with the exception of the hair tonic which is a different scent anyway. The Eucris packaging is distinguished by its black background with raised white lettering. I am unsure of exactly what style of decoration this is called but it is quite Elizabethan/Edwardian to me. I like it a lot. The packaging is nice, and the quality of the cake of soap is good as well. Better than my old almond version. I like the black wooden bowl it comes in but the labeling on the lid could have been nicer.

Scent: Now we come to the crux of it. I bought this soap for one reason only; the Eucris scent. I admit to being swept off my feet by Eucris the moment I smelled a small tester of it that Trumper generously sent me a number of years ago. I hadn't a clue about Trumper's fragrances so I secured a number of test samples from them and Eucris was amongst the lot. I immediately ordered a bottle of the edt. So how does the soap's scent translate?

This soap is pretty close to the edt version of the scent but not exact which I find common in cologne scented shave lathers. The violent process of soap making is not conducive to the gentle handling of fragrance. This one had a bit of "department store" smell to it when I first opened it up but it calmed down after the first two or three lathering's and if you sniff the soap rather than trying to inhale the scent, the nice black currant note comes shining through and the overall effect is quite nice. Did I mention I really like the scent of Eucris? I wish I knew what "family" of scents Eucris belongs to so it would be clearer what it is. Suffice it to say it is one of my favourites and it should be remembered when taking in my glowing comments about it.

Lather: Here I am going to get myself in trouble by saying either too much or too little. As I stated above, this version contains cocoa butter and is a bit different to the others in the line. I honestly cannot compare this soap to them because my other Trumper soap is an old version of almond. The only ingredients listed on the box of that version are; shaving soap base, and soap base. It is not a great soap in my opinion. I know that is heresy in Trumper circles but it is my experience with it. The Eucrcis version is better. At least with my water. I had a bit of trouble getting the hang of making a good lather with it and honestly, it is never going to equal AOS or Tabac but it is quite good for a veg soap. It is not as good as Provence Sante but is markedly better than other veg soaps like L'ome Durance. It gave a very good glide and the aftershave feel was superb which is a bonus when using stoutly scented shave lathers. I am more than satisfied with it.

Efficacy: Quite good. The overall result and effect of using the soap is nothing but positive for me. It is not one of those soaps that leaves you with a feeling that something is completely missing or just plain wrong. Trumper has done a great job.

Moisturising: This is always hard for me to judge since in my mind a soap lather is not made to moisturise but cleanse the skin. And in this case allow a super sharp razor blade to glide along your skin without damaging it too much. This one works in spades. Sometimes with certain lathers you get the feeling that unless you get the lather just so or glide the razor with just the right speed that irritation or a bit of the tinglies will ensue. This soap's use is effortless. By that I mean if you do a good job of lathering, and have a good blade, the skin feel afterward is superb. You don't really have to think about it. You just sense you are going to have a nice face feel after shaving. Effortless.

Overall I am quite happy with my purchase. It is not AOS lather so don't think you are going to find some Nirvana here. I do think Trumper and some other soaps are made to work in slightly softer water than I have and that may make a difference in your lather. Keep than in mind if your experience puts this at a higher rating than mine. I love the packaging, the scent, and the overall effect of this line from Trumper. I have to say they did their work well with Eucris shave soap. This one is a winner.

Regards, Todd

Discussion Thread
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)