What's new

Trumper Bay Rum Cologne...

Meh... Smells OK, seems to be a high-quality fragrance, but it was totally gone by the time I got to work one hour later. The retail price of this cologne is high-end, so I expected much better. I'm going to stick with Ogallala Bay Rum...an excellent old-time barbershop scent, inexpensive, and lasts for several hours on my skin.

This was from a sampler, so I didn't rate Price, Packaging, or Quality of Atomizer.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Complexity
3.00 star(s)
Staying Power
1.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
1.00 star(s)
Sample vial, so no ratings for price, packaging, or atomizer. My first experience with Bay Rum. Indeed, I smell bay, rum, and cloves. I was expecting a stronger scent, but this was slightly sweet and very, very light. In fact, I don't think it even lasted two hours. Not complex (as I said, bay, rum, and cloves was all I got--three very clear notes), but not artificial smelling or cloying either. It is clear this is a decent cologne, but I am undecided as to whether bay rum is a good scent for me. I would say Trumper's version is not.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Complexity
2.00 star(s)
Staying Power
2.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
1.00 star(s)
A nice bay rum scent IMO, *but* you have to put a lot of this stuff on for it to have any staying power, and I mean a lot. Don't know if others have found this, but the cologne went bad after around 18 months of having it, despite having stored it in decent conditions. That's a very limited shelf life for a cologne, IMO.

Personally I'm disappointed in this cologne and wouldn't buy it again.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
2.00 star(s)
Staying Power
1.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
I don't exactly mind this stuff but it does really smell like cloves. My wife also mentioned 'the dentist' thing which isn't exactly the image I was going for when I bought it! :rolleyes: As others have said too, this stuff lasts about as long as an ice cube in Hell....3 minutes on me. When you factor in the price this stuff is a huge PASS in my books.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
2.00 star(s)
Staying Power
0.00 star(s)
that is all i get. tried to like, but neither this, nor Royall Bay Rhum (another clove water - that almost entirely smothers the bay leaf) can match up to Pinaud's Bay Rum hair tonic, which i use as a cologne. This here smells like the dentist's mouthwash.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
0.00 star(s)
Staying Power
0.00 star(s)
Joel may have had better results with this one.

I found it overpriced, and I practically have to bathe in it in order to retain any cologne effect. It simply doesn't have any staying power for me. Way too much money for what you are getting. I agree on the packaging and presentation, though. Pretty high class.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
2.00 star(s)
Staying Power
0.00 star(s)
displayimage.php

First - let me say, the reason price is not involved in this review is the screaming deal I snagged on this bottle from QED.... $33 friggin dollars. Grab one while you can.

Now - onto the review.

First.... let me say thank you to Trumpers for packaging this cologne in the manner they do. What a delightful experience to behold - opening and storing this scent! Just a beautiful box, gorgeous bottle, neat crown stopper - you get the deal (note - notice the plastic wrapping around the collar of the bottle to insure the top stays on during shipment.)

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

So now that we got it open.... how does it smell?

In my opinion - this is without question the most elegant bay rum on the market. Bay Rum is oft considered a "cheap" or "abrasive" scent, but that is usually the brash, run of the mill, "unrefined" bay rums which tend to be a bit noxious/headache inducing. Trumper Bay Rum - while at heart, is a Bay Rum, is a much more subtle, complex, and well rounded bay rum. Think of what hammam boquet is to Rose - is what Trumpers Bay Rum is to bay rum. It IS mainly Bay Rum - but it has oh so much more.

Really a splendid wear - which I would recommend for any casual/easy going occasion. This is a cologne that makes you walk a little lighter, breathe a little deeper, and really takes you to a more "relaxed" place. This is a easy breezy weekend scent, or something you'd wear to a picnic in the park, a walk with your loved one, or any other casual affair.

It will be noticed... but it will not offend.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
3.00 star(s)