What's new

Truefitt and Hill Lavender

Pros: Quality, scent
Great cream! The price makes it a bit of a luxury, so I don't use it but once a week. Lathers well, slickness is outstanding.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I couldn't really find much about Truefitt & Hill's Lavender but I decided to try it out anyway. It doesn't have the traditional lavender scent but it is quite nice and this shaving cream is good for sensitive skin.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I tried this cream this morning. It is the last of the T&H cream samples I ordered. An excellent cream performance wise. I got a great shave with my Merkur HD and an Astra blade. The scent was plenty strong enough, but I agree with the previous review; the scent was less lavender and more soapy floral. It certainly wasn't unpleasant and I look forward to the next 2 or 3 shaves I'll get from this sample.
A men's store by me had samples of a few T&H creams, and I had my first shave this morning.

I don't care for the fragrance - it doesn't smell like lavender, more like soap.

The cream is very, very thick - and I like that, but it was a bit too cushiony. I had a hard time getting a close shave. I think with a higher water to cream ratio I could get better, but in some ways this cream felt like it got in the way of the razor. I feel that TOBS is a much slicker than T&H.

I have a few other scents to try out, and will revise the post if necessary, but for now, I will not be up for forking out the extra cash for T&H.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
2.00 star(s)
I tried some of this in the T&H sample pack, and I have to say I was impressed. I have had issues with other T&H creams (Grafton and Ultimate Comfort) irritating my face but I had no problem with the lavender. Using a fairly thick and dry mix, I completed a 4-pass shave plus touch-up and got BBS nearly everywhere with little irritation. The scent wasn't the best I've used (not nearly as great as 1805) but it wasn't terrible either. Here's the breakdown:

Price - $30 isn't cheap but in my mind it's a good value
Quality - IMHO, T&H creams are all very high quality and this is no exception
Scent - if you like lavender, you'll like this. It's strong enough to detect that it's lavender, but not overwhelming
Latherability - I think it lathers very easily. I do find that with T&H creams it's best to shake a lot of water out of the brush and start with a dry mix, then add water gradually. I don't add nearly as much water as I would for, say, Proraso, and it seems to do better that way.
Efficacy - It got me through 4 passes with little irritation, so I would say great!
Moisturizing - It seemed to do fairly well but I have dry skin to begin with so I always use an ASB after the shave.
Packaging - While the tub is plastic, it is much more elegant than most other cream tubs (Taylor's and Trumper's are both much more bland). Granted, I only have a sample of the Lavender but I own a tub of the Ultimate Comfort cream and since the T&H tubs are all the same design, I can give it a 10.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
This was my first stop on the T&H sample kit I bought. I used the Pre-shave oil which I don't normally do but I got a good shave. A little cream and I had enough for 4 passes plus my touch up shave. The scent definately needs to be worked on. I barely smelled anything. Looks like DR harris will be my next Lavender to try out. Lather was slick and didn't run at all. Good stuff
ambrose;1053561 said:
I completely agree

I didn't see something special till now , comparing to other companies's products .
and I used also the limes cream .
naknik;1053556 said:
the scent it not good as the Dr harris lavender cream .
the rest is ok .

I completely agree
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Gentlemen, Seldom do I actually shave 3 consecutive days with the same lathering agent. At times I have used products back to back because I truly enjoyed the experience. I am on my third day using the tub of Truefitt & Hill Lavender Shaving Cream and it is very possible that I might stretch it to day 4.5.6..... I pretty much like everything about this cream. The scent to me is right on the mark, reminding me of Yardley lavender which is a very good thing. The lather it produces with the aid of my trusty Simpson Duke 3 brush (a spectacular cream brush too!!!) is superb! It did not leave my face dry at all and the delicious lavender scent clung as a reminder of its fantastic quality. I'm a BIG T&H fan anyway so this one was a no brainer when I ordered it. I'm in the minority but I do like the T&H Ultimate Comfort Shaving cream as well.... the lavender might just elipse it as it is a thicker more "proper" English cream.
I always hear people say that theirs is almost unscented, however mine is a great (and fairly strong) Lavender. I love the scent, one of my favorite Lavenders.

I gave 7 for a price because T&H does make great creams, but there are some that are still better for the price.

This cream whips up lather like no other! I consistently get a rich, thick, cushioning lather that shaves with the best of them. The cream is fairly moisturizing but not overly so, and leaves my face feeling great after the shave. This cream does it's job and does it very well.

Highly recommended for both scent and performance :thumbup:
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Price: $16/2.6oz tube, $21/5.8oz tub. I went for the tube since I hadn't tried this one before. More expensive than the other T's, but you've got to have some diversity in your bathroom, haven't you?

Quality: Great. Everything in and including the box screams quality. The cream is rich and thick, nicely colored, and well-packaged.

Scent: This is where the T&H Lavender loses big points. You really have to try awfully hard to really smell it. The upside is that its not medicine-y or too flowery, but overall, it leaves you wanting a lot more in the scent department. Its very light, neither having the invigorating or luxuriously pleasant qualities of similar creams.

Latherability: I've found that the T&H creams are more forgiving than most on the water-to-cream ratio. Having tried both, it works very well whether you like it thick or light, without any hint of drying or running. Lather holds well in the brush and feels great on the face.

Efficacy: Like I said, I get super shaves from this cream. The lather stands up well and it seems to lubricate better than most others I've tried. It holds its temperature when warm, and is really superior at beard-softening.

Moisturizing: I'm really pleased with how this cream leaves me after the shave. I've particularly had issues with certain creams and soaps (Caswell-Massey for one) leaving me with a dry, waxy feeling. The light scent seems to allow the T&H Lavender to pair well with just about any pre-shave, especially the Coral Skin Food.

Packaging: The best. Very attractive and classy looking.

Verdict: Good cream, great shave, disappointing scent.

Ingredients:
Aqua (water), Stearic acid, Myristic acid, Potassium hydroxide, Coconut acid, Glycerin, Parfum (fragrance), Triethanolamine, Phenoxyethanol, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Sodium Hydroxide, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, CI 15510, CI 17200, CI 42090, CI 60725

Photos:
proxy.php

Above: tube, front

proxy.php

Above: box, front

proxy.php

Above: Dollop in scuttle

proxy.php

Above: lather in scuttle

proxy.php

Above: The obligatory lather-on-arm shot
Top Bottom