What's new

Truefitt & Hill - West Indian Limes Shave Cream

Pros: Good lather, lubrication and glide.
Cons: Price. Smell is a hair artificial.
I am basing this on the T&H sample which gives you about 3 separate shaves from each scent cream. Good cream with a good but not perfect scent (smells a little artificial). Very good lather, lubricity and glide.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
West Indian Limes is a winner in my book because I am addicted to the scent. It is straight up in your face LIME.....you either hate it or love it. Intense and different are the best words to describe it. For the Lime purists this will possibly be a fail because with T&H WIL you are getting a blast of something that is akin to Lemon Pledge, lemon sherbert, key lime/meringue pie and lemon air freshener all at once. However there is a hint of "freshness" about it that just makes it happen. Its really hard to understand until you sample it. T&H offers a great sample pack for $10.00.

Performance-wise WIL was a bit of a let down at the beginning due to fact that it burned and irritated the hell out of my face. :bayrum2: However after making a change to my setup by switching to cold water shaving...a significant improvement was made.....irritation practically gone. I then decided to revert back to using my old SuperSpeed and perfection was attained....no irritation at all!

I will say ... to get the optimal benefits of WIL more product is needed. Someone suggested this to me in the cream forum. Because the first couple of times I lathered with WIL I kept getting foamy airy dry lather. I suggest swirling the brush a few times over the cream and picking it up that way. This for me has provided the best results.

So for me...cold water and the Super Speed saved this cream for me. This is now my "goto" summer time cream and permanent fixture in my den.

:thumbup1:
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Trufitt & Hill West Indian Limes is a great shaving cream. On all metrics regarding what kind of shave it produces, it deserves the 10s I gave it.

It's a rich cream that makes gobs of cushiony lather. I get great shaves, and my face feels moisturized afterwards.

Only two categories score low, -price and scent, and these are at least partly subjective.

Price - It's not cheap stuff at $30 a tub. It's not overpriced, nor the most expensive cream, but it is on the high-end. This is probably not the right cream for a budget-minded shaver.

Scent - I like limes, but to be honest, I did not enjoy this scent. This is going to sound odd, but it smells much more like a lime dessert than a lime fruit.

My wife and I were huffing the lather fumes and came up with:

"A sorbet that tastes like Key Lime Cheesecake, with a hint of Palmolive dishsoap still in the bowl from washing."

It's not unpleasant, but with T&H, you can do much better.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Based on what I had read I expected a great scent and fantastic lather. I got neither both times I tried it.

The scent was very medicinal or like a cleaning product. Not at all genuine. Major let-down to say the least.

I also felt the lather was quite thin. Yeah, I know how to build a good lather. That wasn't the issue. This just didn't cut it. When compared to my everyday AOS cream, sorry to say, it isn't in the same league.

Luckily, I had some samples and did not spend for a tube or tube of this. I suggest you do the same to make sure it works for you before buying.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Latherability
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
0.00 star(s)
I was very dissappointed with this cream. The scent is very artificial smelling and not lime-y at all - I dare say that the chemist who came up with this scent in their laboratory has never been in the same room with an actual lime (I am reminded of mideval Northern European depictions of African lions - there is some little bit of resemblance to a lion, but it is clear that the artist has never actually seen one in real life...but I digress). Applying this cream to the skin causes a light tingling/slight burning (which turns into a raging inferno when applying the West Indian Limes After shave balm!). The lather is fairly weak and dry. Overall, a pretty inferior product, in my opinion.
This is a very nice higher priced product. Wonderful lime scent, but does not linger long. Goes on very nicely with a brush and a tub lasts for a long time- you do not need much. Received as a gift and have used once a week for a few months. I do look forward to using this and the lime after shave balm each week. It does make the morning seem a little extra special. Shave is very good and consistent throughout. This cream has good staying power on your face.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
This is the first cream I used from T&H and it's still one of my favourites.

It smells VERY good, lathers like a dream and provides a very high grade of skin protection.
Every time I do shave with this cream my skin feels silky smooth.

Simply outstanding.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Price: Expensive, but you get what you pay for and this tub will last a long time.

Quality: I get amazing shaves with this cream. Its not quite as 'complex' as tobs avocado (my other go to) in terms of scent and ingredients but it shaves a little better, especially with the T&H preshave oil.

Scent: Seems so-so at first, but it opens up when lathered and has grown on me over time. It can come off as one dimensional, but for a straightforward lime smell its great.

Latherability: Amazing. It really sets itself apart from other creams. Im usually running low by my last pass with some creams but the lime produces ample lather, sometimes even excessive lather if i use too much. And its cushiony!

Efficacy: Gives me bbs shaves like none other. I wasnt into preshave oil before but the T&H oil works really well with it if im in the mood. Frictionless shaves either way!

Moisturizing Properties: Yes! My skin feels great afterwards, and i have extremely temperamental skin. Doesnt irritate at all, which is kind of a miracle. All in all I think its the best of T&Hs line in terms of the shave quality and skin health.

Packaging: Its great. The black tubs (and boxes they come in) are much classier than trumpers and tobs tubs, and wont break like glass ones will. It really tops off the luxury experience, and it matches my brush handle, cologne bottles, mug, and bowl :thumbup:

All in all I highly recommend it, and im tough to satisfy.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
The best cream I've ever used. Shaves me as close as shaving soap, which I generally prefer. The scent is unbelievable. I take it out just to smell it. It quickly an easily produces mountains of thick lather. Neither moisturizing nor drying. My skin feels great afterwords. The only down side is that it's expensive. Overall, I love it and definitely will buy it again.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
To me this is a fine quality shaving cream. It is not inexpensive but I feel that it is a good value considering it's performance, quantity and pleasure of usage.
I like the scent, perhaps it not a Lime Purists delight, but I find it very pleasing.
The shaving performance of this product is outstanding, in my opinion. It lathers easily, goes on smoothly, softens my beard and leaves my face feeling nice. I can shave closely, with a Feather or Swede in my Futur and get a BBS with no irritation. It rinses out of my brush and razor cleanly.
This cream will allways be in my collection.
Good Stuff!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
I really wanted to like this cream. It was my first "3 T" cream. The box it came in was very regal, and the tub itself was quite attractive. The packaging would impress any visitor that you might have. Unfortunately for me it was all downhill from there. Opening the jar for the first time and instead of being greeted with a pleasant lime smell I was greeted by an odd chemical smell. Not at all pleasant. The lather was decent, but it tingled uncomfortably on my skin. And the shave itself was nothing to write home about. Perhaps it was the discomfort from the tingling that prevented me from having a good shave but the shave was not very close at all. After three uses I ended up putting the jar on BST and went back to my Nancy Boy cream.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Into an exchange I got it from an other wet shaving one here in Hungary. He did not like the fragrance, just this took. This not lemon like that than the Castle-Forbes. discreet and more perfumed, after all very refreshing. The skincare and moistening first-class. The packaging would be needed in this manner in addition to a class, for all shaving cream to look out!
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I wish its lime aroma was a bit more overpowering, but in all functional criteria I find this cream excellent and it smells delightful, too.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
0.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
After receiving my Truefitt and Hill sample bag,I went straight to work trying them out. I have already commented on the Grafton,which is a sheer delight!
Up next was the West Indian Limes. I lathered up a rich whip and have to admit that the cream is good in that regard. Whips up nicely and does it's job well on my face. The only thing that I didn't like was the scent. It just was too "limey" for me.Too pungent a citrus scent. The Trumper's version of Limes is a much better scent to my nasal cavity. So needless to say,I'm happy i purchased the sample pack to try this out and didn't buy up the tub or tube.
I now have many samples to go and look forward to reviewing each one.

Jim
T&H W.I. Limes was my first luxury shaving cream, and I still think about the fantastic, deep lime-citrus scent. This is the perfect cream for the summer months because it is so fresh and citrusy. The scent is strong and does linger, but I actually prefer that sort of lingering since it keeps me smelling fresh throughout the day. Also, it produces a great lather just like the other T&H creams, and lasts forever. Definitely will pick up a tub when I run out of my current offerings.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
All I'll say is that this cream performs INCREDIBLY. It lathers well, doesn't dry out on my skin during the shave, and leaves my skin feeling good after the shave.

...However, the scent kills it for me. I have always loved the smell of limes. If you're looking for the smell of fresh cut limes (as I was) in this cream, however, you will be disappointed. The first thing that came to mind upon smelling this was "It smells like Trix" (the kids' cereal). This, my friends, is not what I want to smell like during or after a shave.

I know it's hard to nail a tart scent like a freshly-cut lime, and I realize that people in general may not even like that smell, and instead have more experience with / prefer the smell of a fake lime Life-Saver or whatever. For me though, I can't do this, which si really disappointing because the cream is otherwise WONDERFUL.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Excellent stuff, but the scent fades away quickly.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Nice cream, excellent lather.

The scent wasn't what I was expecting though. I really thought it would smell just of lime and the first time I took the lid off the pot I got a real shock in fact I positively disliked the smell on first impression. I didn't even use it for the first week however I began to have second thoughts as the scent lingered in my memory. Every so often I'd be tempted to sniff it again and eventually decided the scent wasn't positively unpleasant. Used it a couple of times, then a couple of times more. By that time I was starting to think it wasn't too bad smelling at all.

A month has gone by and now it's one of my favourites and I use it probably more than any other cream. The scent really grew on me as I got more used to it, I would describe it as lime with spices . . . lots of spices! Reminiscent of the Caribbean, a much heavier more complex scent than I ever expected, not something you can take in with one sniff.

Take some time to get used to this one.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
This has a nice long lasting scent. I have had some trouble gettign a good lather out of this, but thats probably me and my face feels smooth all day after shaving with TH lime
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I kind of jumped the gun with this cream. I wanted to believe that I would LOVE T&H, so I went ahead and bought a tub of it from Classic. Then I
found T&H's website and asked for a sample.

Backwards, eh? Anyway, Brittney from T&H got me my sample before Classic got me the purchase, so I tried the stuff.

Scent is NOT lime. I don't know what it is. It's a very woody scent. And it does smell good. But it's not a lime like Castle Forbes, who makes absolutely the best lime out there as far as I'm concerned.

And it sticks around. I squeezed the stuff into my hand and three hours later my hand still smells like T&H lime.

Everything else is wonderful. Lathering, efficacy, moisturizing - all great. This stuff works very well indeed. But the scent is disappointing and my new tub may end up on the sales forum since you can get creams that work well nearly anywhere.

So, good marks for everything but scent. And as I said the scent isn't bad. But if you want in your face lime, this isn't it. Castle Forbes or Mama Bear is the way to go for that pure lime scent.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)