What's new

Truefitt & Hill Ultimate Pre-Shave Oil

Pros: Scent, light-weight
Cons: None
Hard to imagine a better scented pre-shave oil, IMHO. Works well, and helps as a part of the elaborate shaving routine.

Dragan
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)
I absolutely love this stuff, one of my favorite shaving items. the price is a bit high, but when you consider that the smaller bottle will last you almost a year, than it isn't so bad. the smell is absolutely fantastic, like real fresh lemon, not some kind of extract. the best thing is, that it does its job well, i can feel it on my face even after the third and fourth pass, and the blade glides like knife trough a hot butter... gives you the chance to be a little less carefull when using a really sharp blade, like feathers...
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
1.00 star(s)
I don't use pre-shave oils very often, and I have only tried a few but I actually quite like the T&H. I like the citrusy scent and it seems to provide the perfect amount of lubrication and is easily washed away from both my hands and face. It is a little pricey but if I felt that I needed a pre-shave daily it would be worth it.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
1.00 star(s)
I've just bought some of this to try and help with my neck irratation. I think that with good prep, shave cream and technique , pre-shave oil won't help for most people. If you are using a M3 it will be an enourmous help but with DE you can probably do without it.

However I am looking to try and get my skin free of all those little red mark on my neck and so far I ahve found that this definately helps with reducing irritation and my skin feels great afterwards. I actually apply a hot towel over my cream then a hot towel over just some of this oil. Then proced to my usualy routine. This allows the oil to absorb partially into my skin. After that I apply just a little to my neck around my adams apple between passes.

This stuff is expensive but will last ages and I've spent so much on other shaving accessories it's not too bad comparitively. It doesn't gunk my razor at all. You can also use this as a stand alone shave oil for a final pass to get absolute 100% BBS by going ATG. This is what I've found it most useful for.

In conclusion: This won't be necessary for most people or even really make any difference worth the hassle. But it is an extremely good product and helps with some trouble spots in terms of irritation.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
1.00 star(s)
I wish I knew this review was already in this section as I already commented on it in the "Other" category. But I really love this oil. It really helps soften the beard and lubricate the skin, allowing the blade to glide effortlessly across my face. The smell is absolutely wonderful as well. The price is definitely the biggest drawback, but at least the small 2 oz bottle will go a long way. If you don't want to drop $30 to try this out, most places are pretty nice about small samples.

Also, T&H has an awesome sample package in which you get this oil, UC shave cream, UC balm, and samples of all their colognes.

I think the number is: (800) 236-8089.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
chris_nor_cal;446362 said:
this stuff is terrible. it smells like cheap orange juice and is very watery and doesn't lubricate my face at all. I regret paying almost 30 bucks for it

First off^^^^this guy is waaaay off base! T&H pre-shave oil is a very light lubricant with various citrus oils, among several others essential oils, which if you read the descriptions and the ingredients its quite clear what's in this. It smell how it should... just like your fingers smell if you squeeze an orange, lemon, and grapefruit. It's not watery at all! It's light which means it is absorbed by the skin and helps soften the skin and beard. These oils are more water soluble than something like mineral oil and if used as a pre-shave oil would be some what sticky and create drag. Pre-shave oil should probably not be considered a lubricant but more of a conditioner...the shave soap or cream is really the lubricant. As for the price, it is above par in comparison to other pre-shave oils in terms of price vs. volume. And if you consider how much it would cost to buy all the ingredients in this and try to copycat it...that plus how long a 2oz. bottle lasts with proper use, really shows how inexpensive this pre-shave oil actually is. It reduces drag when using a DE razor or straight edge and nourishes the skin and beard so you are not cut against dry brittle skin and hair. Hot water helps to hydrate the skin and hair but it also dries very quickly and washes away your natural oils which the T&H helps to replace.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
thunderball;840474 said:
I don't know, this stuff just isn't worth the price and messy hassle in my opinion. It perhaps does make my shave (very) marginally smoother but, to be honest, the difference is very slight...so slight that I've stopped using it altogether. As others have mentioned, the scent is interesting (it really does smell just like mandarins) but it's quite difficult to apply and the packaging is diabolical. What this needs is a little pump bottle or at least a bottle with a smaller opening; in hindsight I should have just poked a tiny hole in the cardboard 'stopper'. My bottle is hardly used but is already sticky and messy from trying to apply the stuff without spilling it all. Add in the premium price you're paying for this citrus oil and it becomes even less worth it. A big 'PASS' in my books. :frown:

Mine came with a plastic stopper with a tiny hole which makes it more easier to dispense by the drop, the bottle is plastic which I think is a step down from glass; however by slightly squeezing the bottle one can control the number of drops per application
I'm not a fan of oil but this one had ben a good substitute for C&F water soluble pre shave which is at the top of my list but very expensive
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I don't know, this stuff just isn't worth the price and messy hassle in my opinion. It perhaps does make my shave (very) marginally smoother but, to be honest, the difference is very slight...so slight that I've stopped using it altogether. As others have mentioned, the scent is interesting (it really does smell just like mandarins) but it's quite difficult to apply and the packaging is diabolical. What this needs is a little pump bottle or at least a bottle with a smaller opening; in hindsight I should have just poked a tiny hole in the cardboard 'stopper'. My bottle is hardly used but is already sticky and messy from trying to apply the stuff without spilling it all. Add in the premium price you're paying for this citrus oil and it becomes even less worth it. A big 'PASS' in my books. :frown:
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
This is one of the better preshaves out there. The good thing about this one is that the consistency is not very thick like the AOS and Nancy Boy. Very easy to apply on the face although the opening is very large. That is a design flaw
This oil makes all the difference for me when shaving. Little or no irritation from shaving when I used this product.

The scent is mild but at the same time really refreshing too.

I liked it so much that I reapplied it between passes. All my sample was hence used for just one shave so gotta get my credit card out now !

Use it, you won't regret it.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
I wasn't impressed with this - sure it smells good, but I didn't notice any improvement in the quality of my shave. Proraso does a much better and MUCH cheaper job IMO :tongue_sm
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
This pre shave oil is just something everyone should have. I bought this before i started wet shaving because my mach 3 would give me the worst razor burn. I just put a little on my face and thats it. It smells like actual mandarin oranges. After using this with m mach 3 my razor burn was drastically rediced but not eliminated (had to switch to wet shaving for that). The writing on the back doesn't lie, only use very little. I have been using everyday for 6 1/2 months and im not empty

To reduce wasting the product, use a pin and make a small hole in the plastic cap under the lid. If you take off the entire plastic lid, it will just come ushing out.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
Smells great and works great. The price really isnt that far off from other high-end preshave oils. I only use this on days that I don't shower beforehand. Otherwise, I find I do not need it. However, when I do need it, it sure does it's job!!!!
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
this stuff is terrible. it smells like cheap orange juice and is very watery and doesn't lubricate my face at all. I regret paying almost 30 bucks for it
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
A while back, in a search for a good pre-shave oil, I found this. I searched for a review here on B&B for it, but couldn't turn one up, which was surprising. If I missed one, please forgive me.

When this came, and I looked at the tiny little bottle, I wondered what the heck I'd spent $30 for! On first examination, I figured it might last me a few weeks. But now, perhaps 6 weeks later, using it 2/3 of the time as my pre-shave, I was wrong. When ClassicShaving recommended using an amount about the size of a dime, they were right. That's absolutely all that you need to use. It softens a beard very well, and is recommended by T&H for those times when you don't have adequate time to properly prepare your beard. I'd say that they're spot-on with this recommendation. At $15 per ounce, though I might have once rated this a 1 or 2 on price, in 6 weeks of nearly daily use, I'm just down past the neck of the bottle in what I've used. On certain days, I'll even use this twice, in-between passes and latherings. The fragrance is very nice; an essence of citrus. It lubricates extremely well, and is very easily rinsed out of a DE or off of a straight. This stuff does what it's supposed it do, does it very well, and is honestly economical - something that surprises me, frankly. Wonderfully moisturizing too! Recommended.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)