What's new

Truefitt & Hill Spanish Leather

I was on the hunt for a new cologne and I was not content to go either cheap and cheerful or follow the herd and grab a department store brand. In the end, I finally shopped by the Toronto Truefitt and Hill location in the Scotia Tower.

After trying out a few scents (they were out of stock of Trafalgar) on the recommendation of the woman working there I tried out Spanish Leather. I like this scent a lot and I disagree, it's not feminine at all.

You should use very sparingly (and I do) otherwise T&H Spanish Leather could very easily be overpowering and it has staying power over the course of the day.

I'll probably pick up the Trafalgar at a later date but Spanish Leather has a home in my small rotation.:thumbup1:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
I got a sampler of this a few months ago and finally went the whole hog. I can't agree this smells feminine - for that you need to go to any dept store men's fragrance section and test just about anything on sale.

This is a very nice warm, musky, woody, leathery and slighty sweet scent. There is a touch of the floral about it, but I find Tabac EDC far more floral, and is as floral as I'll go.

I really like lighter, more citrus scents like Speick, but contrary to other opinions here, I don't find T&H cloying. It has enough potency to let the wearer know its there, without gassing anyone in the vicinity.

My wife likes it and I get compliments from other ladies when wearing it. Can you ask for more than that?
This overpriced stuff smells horrible! My girlfriend says it smells like "old lady perfume". Way to overpowering and not a sweet smell at all. Instead of Spanish Leather, it smells like a BURNT leather. Definitely NOT for the young at heart......or the old.

As with most T&H cologne, it is way alcoholed down so the scent fades quickly. You're lucky if it can be smelled an hour later.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Complexity
0.00 star(s)
Staying Power
0.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
0.00 star(s)
I must respectfully disagree with the O.P. I have been using it for about a month now, and if it was a person, it would punch me in the face if I thought it wasn't manly.

This is by far one of the longest-lasting colognes I have ever tried, and the longest-lasting of all T&H offerings, though Clubman gives a good run as well.

The combination of leather, floral notes, musk, and I detect a woodiness, makes this one of my favorites.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
Last week I received a sample pack from different T&H colognes. Since they came in small sample containers I cannot rate the final packaging or atomizer. Spanish Leather is the cologne I have been trying for the last few days. My experience that sometimes they can really grow on me, but sofar Spanish Leather hasn't really succeeded in that. The scent is masculine, but not the rough "John Wayne" kind of scent I was expecting. Over the first hour it changes and different fragrances fly by, one of them definitely a leathery one. However, unfortunately that part doesn't stay (on me anyway). Over all staying power is good (it's now almost 4 hours later and there is still enough scent on me even though I didn't use all that much), but it calms down quickly into a fairly sweet musky, but way less complex scent. It isn't bad by any means and always stays classy but I don't think I would spend the retail price on a whole flask. My wife also thinks it's an ok cologne, but not outstanding.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Complexity
3.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
1.00 star(s)
It is realy great stuff. High Quality scent with any "cheap" notes. It is very deep and rich scent. It settle down on my skin very quickly and lasts all day. It has leather notes with a little bit oh sweetness and cloves and some base which I cant describe which joins all this notes together (maybe its musk). It's elegant scent not for every day and rather for evening and for sure not for summer. One of my favorites and best of all leather scents
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
5.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
5.00 star(s)
I liked this very much at first but after 10 minutes it smelled exactly like the cheap English Leather cologne I wore as a 10 year old to feel "grown up". I was really dissapointed and it reaked of cheap cologne with no complexity at all. I've been pretty dissapointed with all the T&H colognes so far because they smell good at first and quickly fade or turn into something bad like the wonderful West Indian Limes that is amazing and complex for a few minutes and then just smells like Pledge dust spray.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
1.00 star(s)
Staying Power
2.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
I have to disagree with the "feminine" knock stated above. This cologne is great, and masculine, just not a "stereotypical" masculine scent--in other words, you don't smell like the woods or sawdust. I think this stuff is great, but can be overpowering. A little goes a long way, so don't go overboard. My wife loved it, too.
I just got a sample of this. I have tried a bunch of different colognes and my wife has hated all of them, until this one. She loves it, and I happen to like it very well also. I prefer musky scents, and this one has a nice musk undertone. I found that the scent did become a little more floral the longer it was on, but it still retained a very masculine nose to it.

And since my wife loves it...
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
5.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
5.00 star(s)
I seem to be the voice of dissent here. On my person, Trumper's Spanish Leather turns into a freshly bathed dog smell. Truefitt & Hill, however, may be one of my favorites and probably the favorite from T&H. This is my idea of what Spanish Leather should be, if somewhat sweet. I may indeed buy this in a full bottle. Sillage is excellent, and so is longevity. The best (and longest lasting) of the T&H offerings and the best SL :thumbup1:
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
5.00 star(s)
T&H Spanish Leather was reformulated a few years ago. It is now synthetic but lasts all day. I am not fond of this cologne but my son thinks it great. I prefer Trumpers Spanish Leather.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
3.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
I received a sample pack of various colognes from Truefitt & Hill. I already own and enjoy Trafalgar shaving cream, and the matching cologne is just as enjoyable. I also tried the sample of 1805 which -- while I didn't like it as much as Trafalgar - is a nice upscale masculine scent.
After reading several glowing comments in the forum about Spanish Leather, I tried it.
It was terrible! After about an hour, I had to wash it off with soap and water and wiped my face with alcohol to get rid of the scent.
Let me explain.
This is undoubtedly a high quality scent and I'm sure many people like it. But to me it was not at all "manly". It reminded me much more of a woman's perfume, and did not have the masculine essence I would have expected from a cologne described as having "top notes of confidence and nostalgia, this aroma is for a man’s man. Think John Wayne. Except he’s not riding a horse. He’s riding 400 of them in his cherry red Ferrari."

I'm very much of a beginner with colognes and aftershaves, so I can't describe in detail the top, middle and base notes of the fragrance, all I can say is I didn't like it and that it was not my idea of masculine at all.

Because this was from a sample pack, I felt it was not fair for me to rate the product on Price, Packaging or Quality of Atomizer, although I'm sure they are all of T&H's usual standards.
Top Bottom