What's new

Truefitt & Hill Grafton

This is my favorite shave cream so far. Great light scent. Creamy protective lather. Slightly less moisturizing than Proraso Sandalwood Shea. Wish it cost less, but worth ponying up for.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Lather, scent
Cons: None
Wonderful, masculine scent. Thick, rich cream that is easy to work with and build a great lather, unlike stiffer creams such as Castle Forbes. Very close shave with excellent cushion and razor glide. Overall a great, great cream.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
I'm trying the Grafton cream out in a travel tube for starters because I shave after my workout from time to time and it would give me a chance to try it out. Yes I will be buying the tub.

What drew me was the scent, I have the Grafton in cologne and ASB and get a number of compliments on it. I'm in my early/mid 40s so I don't really care about the "old man" scent. I want something memorable and reasonably exclusive.

The Grafton shaving cream, loves to lather even with a Kent pure badger turnback travel brush and I get great shaves from it, always a pleasure. I find it moisturizes nicely for me, again your experience might be different.

Now price, it's steep at the Trufitt and Hill store in Toronto compared to their British website. I don't think Canadian pricing as taken account current exchange rates with the Pound and Canadian Dollar (Pound is not worth as much as it was three years ago). So the big question, do you want to order it online and wait three weeks or...break down pay local pricing and get it now?

My conclusion, Grafton shave cream is staying in my rotation.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I agree with the previous poster by saying it's an older mans scent. This shaving cream has no problem lathering up but the lather seems a little dry compared to the other Truefitt & Hill lines I have tried. It doesnt moisturize my skin as much as 1805 or the Rose. I still like it though in my rotation.
The scent reminded me of my father. It's an older man's scent. The scent lasts several hours at least. Okay, not really for me. I found 1805 to be only marginally better. They do lather really well though.
First review, so I hope it's worthy. Truefitt and Hill Grafton was my first high end shaving cream purchased as I began wetshaving. Since then, my collection has grown as well as being able to sample through multiple creams from T+H, Trumpers, Penhaligons and CF. When all the dust settles this (or possibly T+H Rose) would be my sole desert island cream.

I dinged it slightly on price by using TOBS as a benchmark.

The scent is great: there's bitter lavender, herbs, musk, woods, amber and incense. All are noticeable, but none stick out. Like the aroma of a Grand Cru Vosne Romanee, it manages to be assertive yet subtle. The components are there, but none dominate. In a Spinal Tap world, this scent would go to 11.

Latherability and Moisturizing are both great. I always follow it up with the outstanding Grafton ASB, so moisturizing is not a problem.

Packaging is uniquely T+H. Classy, refined and of top quality.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
This is so far my favorite shaving cream. The smell is impeccable and lathers like a dream. I can honestly say I love this cream and don't want to use any other cream beside this one. The only close competitor I have found to help my dream skin is Acqua Di Parma.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
This is my first review, and it is of the first cream I bought, but it is so fabulous I had to add my two cents. First, this cream smells amazing! As previous posts have said, this is a manly scent. I was amazed with potency of this stuff, it is a bit price, but a little goes A LONG WAY! I smidgen made enough for three passes with a little leftovers. The packaging is sweet too. It is a great treat, love the smell!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I absolutely love this cream. You can't really go wrong with a T&H cream from a technical standpoint. They are very high quality creams that make tons of great lather. Grafton is one of my favorites because I really love the Grafton scent. It's very masculine without being overpowering.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
One of my favorites from the T&H line up.

A great classy scent that does not linger but can be reinforced with the Grafton after shave products. The cream produces a nice lather in decent amounts that will provide a very good smooth and close shave. Results are what counts, after you have finished your shave, cleaned up and put things away you'll give your face a quick check and say, "oh...nice shave...feels good".
Like the original reviewer this was the first T&H cream I ever tried. I received the Grafton cream (in a tube) and the Grafton ASB in a Secret Santa exchange.

Price: You get what you pay far. You don't buy a Yugo if you expect Mercedes-Benz performance. I went with an 8 because it is on the "higher end" but that's not to say I wouldn't buy it. I will be a repeat customer, over and over again!

Quality: The density is just right. Not too hard, not to soft. It is an ideal cream.

Scent: "It's a refined, very gentlemanly fragrance."

Latherability: The lather is great. Whether I am face lathering or lathering in a bowl/mug the end result is always the same, loads of slick, rich and creamy lather.

Efficacy: 10 a perfect 10!

Moisturizing Properties: For my skin type this is great. I can use it for days on end and my skin never feels oily or dry.

Packaging: I docked T&H a little here. I think their creams should be in metal tubes (like proraso) with the same elegant designs that are on the labels of their tubs and tubes.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I have been a fan of Truefitt and Hill for a long time with Grafton being my favourite scent. It lathers up very nicely and positively smells divine. As said above,this is a masculine scent. The only thing I wish i could see would be a price reduction. I just don't think that $30 is a worthy price for shaving cream. But then I'm a very thrifty lad and want everything to be cheap! :biggrin1:

Otherwise,T and H produce wonderful products.

Jim
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Price: Expensive, yeah, but that's what you have to deal with if you want T&H. They are good creams that are highly concentrated though.

Quality: Top notch! Just what you would expect from T&H.

Scent: Awesome! One on my favorites. This cream is not for the metrosexual. Only a man can wear this cream.

Latherability: I'd rate it right up there with Tabac soap. Lots of rich lather from this one.

Moisturizing Properties: Leaves my skin feeling soft and subtle. One of the best as far as I am concerned.

Packaging Eh...not the best but not too bad either. The gold letters on the black tub are very regal which is very fitting for this cream.

If you can't tell, I love Grafton. Depending on the day, my favorite cream ever is either Grafton or Trafalgar. Grafton is the more conservative, manly scent and Trafalgar is a sexy "night on the town" scent (In a manly way, of course).
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
I must say, this is my least favorite cream of any. I love the smell, it reminds of what you would picture a 'man' smelling like. It's great in that regard. But for me, this cream was dry. VERY dry. No matter what I did, how much water I used, it just stuck to my face and dried out like a piece of beef jerky sitting in the sun waaaayyy toooooo long. Everything else, I found on par with T&H.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
2.00 star(s)
I am a fan of T&H creams... and, reading their descriptions on the US T&H website, I just went crazy about buying the lot (sadly didn't have enough money)...

Price: This is not the top feature of this cream (as for all the T&H stuff); it is pretty expensive. But I think you will not be disappointed if you decide to buy it... (maybe you will only regret it 'cause you will be unable to stop buying it :tongue:)

Quality: Top cream quality! I too like the consistency of the Grafton very much. A rich and thick cream.

Scent: "Warm and spicy, Grafton has a fresh herbaceous opening combined with a spicy floral heart, leading onto a rich, woody, amber background with a hint of leather"... I would have said a little more than just a "hint" of leather... it is a very well balanced scent, probably more suited for autumn or winter days (but could also be wear in summer... anybody thinking of a black tie event ? :lol:)

Latherability: a few swirls and you will not believe what is happening... gorgeous...

Efficacy: a mixt between the latherability, the scent and the moisturizing properties... a good catch.

Moisturizing: Because of a very sensitive skin, I appreciate a good moisturizing cream... and I love using this Grafton one... nothing to add.

Packaging: practical and classy; I like it.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
displayimage.php

This is the first T&H cream I've ever tried. I chose the Grafton based solely on the descriptions provided by the T&H site and vendor's sites:

"Conjures up images of fireside chats regarding important matters and romantic encounters at black tie affairs." Hey, that's for me! :w00t: But, all hyperbole aside, this is the description that appealed to me: "Grafton has a fresh herbaceous opening combined with a spicy floral heart, leading onto a rich, woody, amber background with a hint of leather." What's not to like about that?

Price: A little high, not much less than CF. Still, I like it enough to buy it again.

Quality: I like the color and consistency of the Grafton very much. This cream is dense and solid, but not hard at all. It's quite gratifying to scoop a snurdle out with my finger, it's a hard thing to explain. :biggrin:

Scent: I found the Grafton scent to be very similar to Taylor's "Mr. Taylor" cream. After a few weeks of smelling them both, I do find there are differences and the Grafton seems just slightly more appealing to me. It's a refined, very gentlemanly fragrance.

Latherability: You can't beat this stuff. I like to face-lather it, and it is so pleasant to smear a snurdle around on my face and enjoy the intoxicating fragrance. Once I hit it with a brush, it just (insert alternative verb for "explodes") into lather. The lather is thick, comfortable and cushiony. It gives the kind of smooth, clean cutting action I get from top performers like Tabac soap or CF cream.

Efficacy: Since the desired effect is a fine lather, the efficacy of this product was addressed in the previous paragraph.

Moisturizing Properties: I never pay much attention to this, my skin never feels dry so I guess I'm not a good judge of this. I gave it a 9 because it's so great in every other dimension, why not this one?

Packaging: I don't hold anything against a product if the packaging is uninspiring. However, in this case I think the black PVC tub with gold lettering is more elegant than the tan offerings from Taylor or the flat hockey puck from CF.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)