What's new

Truefitt & Hill Freshman

Of all the samples of T&H, I personally like this one the best. It smells fresh and "young". I am not fond of T&H line of cologne as it is mostly overpriced scented alcohol that fades quickly. My friends like this one also the best of all the T&H colognes.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
1.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
1.00 star(s)
I wear this to work a lot in the Spring/Summer. On the surface, it's either a very unrefined Green Irish Tweed (at a third of the price), or a less synthetic Cool Water (at twice the price), depending on your perspective. It's not spectacularly subtle - the opening citrus is almost abrasively bitter to me, which I really like, however this only lasts for around 15 minutes. I do not get any florals at all, or much woods. The opening is a bit unrepresentative as the dry down is about the most elegant oceanic scent going - Polo Blue mixed with GIT with the volume up high. It's quite "brash" and young, but it doesn't smell plasticky or synthetic, and it is about the least cloying frag I own with the exception of Guerlain's Vetiver - virtually everyone I know likes it. And therein lies the problem for me. It's very nice... but nice can often get dull. By the time my working week is over, i'm literally gunning for my cologne shelf to put something different on. At least the Vetiver has some genuine excitement in its bottle.
That said, the box is very nice and T&H all have lovely bottles. Atomiser is diabolical but if you're used to their colognes, i'm sure you're aware of this.
Longevity is ok - around 5 hours, although you can pretty much hammer the spritzes and not annoy people too much, especially if you wait for the citrus to fade before stepping out. The opening has pretty impressive silage though, so I would be advised not to go nuts minutes before entering a room or keeping this in your desk drawer for "top up spritzes" as the lemon is quite cutting.

If you wear GIT a lot, and you want a similar "beater" cologne for slumming it, this is the one for you. If you want some nostril excitement, look elsewhere, because off the top of my head I can name about 15 frags that smell pretty similar to this, and some at a fraction of the price.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
1.00 star(s)
Staying Power
2.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
2.00 star(s)
I don't know...I find this to be very basic, basic stuff that really does smell like any department store cologne kiosk. Not unpleasant per se but just smells like Tide laundry detergent with a bit of Cool Water spritzed in...to me not worth the high price of admission. Of course all is subjective in the world of fragrance! :biggrin:
I would agree with the previous poster, of all the British EDT's I've tried, this is the most "department store" scent I've encountered. I would say that it's much better than most department store scents, but it does seem more similar to something one would find in Macys or Dillards. That being said, I do like it. Very fresh, kind of sporty and a tad citrusy.

-Mason
Well first of all, I really doubt that this is the original formula from 1815. It has a very sporty scent similar to Aqua Velva Sport, Polo Sport, and one of the Hugo fragrances. It smells quite modern and synthetic (contrary to the general perception, this does not have to be a bad thing. Same goes for 1805) For the reasons stated above I feel that this scent has a very American Aura w/o the qualities that make Trafalgar and penhaligon's so British. Not a bad EDT per se, but I would not pay 75 dls for it.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
3.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
3.00 star(s)
This is my favourite Cologne so far. Very fresh light Cologne which stays around for hours without being too "in your face". I'm not very good at describing scents but it has a warm citrus scent which is very nice indeed. I prefer this to 1805 which I like very much. You can wear this all year round no problem.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
An e-tailer lists “top notes of bergamot, lemon, and rosemary - plus a heart of clary sage, lily of the valley and jasmine, all resting on a base of precious woods.”

Freshman is the oldest of the Truefitt & Hill men’s cologne lineup, having been created in 1815. It is also my favorite of the T&H colognes. It is light and breezy, but complex enough to be interesting. I don’t sense any obviously synthetic notes in Freshman, it just smells fresh and natural. The citrus and the herbs are well balanced. The addition of the woods turns what might have been a summertime fragrance into one that works in any season.

This is a safe cologne for a gift. I think most people will like it.

The discussion thread for this review is here. If you don't want to review the product, please post in the discussion thread instead of this one, so as not to skew the cumulative review scores.

Top Bottom