What's new

Treet Blue Special

Feels like the blade is grabbing by hairs and pulling them out at the roots.
I wanted to love these, since I had read good things, and they look cool.

I didn't love them.

Of all the blades I have tried, I found these to be the roughest, and least pleasant.

That said, I am fairly new to shaving with a DE, so I would gladly try them again in a few months for a second opinion.
i shaved with a treent this morning, im starting to belive that they are manufactured in pakistan for export to india, tons of pull and tugg, scraped my neck, i automaticly pulled all the "treent corporation" blades out of my sampler and put them away where they cant hurt anyone,
with all the praise these received, I thought I'd give them a shot. First shave in a Progress, I thought to my self, "did I forget the shave cream?". Major tugging. With all the blades I've tried, I never actually felt pain from tugging at the wiskers. Finished the shave with a couple more passes than usual, though, and actually got a pretty close shave. Not so comfortable though.

For the next shave, I though I would try one in a Futur, thinking that the added weight would give a blade a much needed push. Nope, even worse. I couldn't even finish the shave.

That's that - can't say I'll be going back.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Longevity
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
1.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)
:thumbdownHaving read some of the very positive comments, I gave these a try. My very initial feeling was that they're sharp, but then when I got near my chin, I felt major tugging. This is a tough area to shave, but even more so with the Blue Specials. When I got around to trying these for the third time, I got fed up, chucked the blade and finished up with a Derby.

I too am amazed at how different our responses have been to this one.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Sharpness
2.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
0.00 star(s)
I found this blade to be average or slightly below in nearly every respect. It pulled somewhat but not enough to make me throw it out. I used one for a week of two pass shaves and ended up with passable shaves that looked fine until about 2 or 3 in the afternoon. With their retro black finish these blades look great but I don't really buy DE blades on account of how they look. The one and only huge advantage for me is that this blade would not nick me or irritate me even if I used more pressure than I would dare use with any other blade. I just could not nick myself with this thing at all. Can't say that about any other blade I've ever used.
Not the sharpest one but gives me a very confortable shave with no cuts or irritations at all. No rust at all even after 4 days in my krona. For the price, a very good product.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
These might not the sharpest tool in the shed but for what they cost they offer a good deal more then was its being reviewed here. I have used these blades back to back for two weeks and found them to be very very pleasant to my face. However I do agree that on the first pass it doesn't seem like they have removed anything but as you carry on they will come into their own. I do believe that these blades are designed to be used daily and cope better with 24 hours growth compared to a 2-4 days. They are smooth blades and don't bite as much its sharper cousins.

As for the rust problem well the prices says it all, these are cheapest blades for the cheap end of the market as such 2-3 is the best they will provide. Most men will find hard to shave day to day with a Feather (or other sharper blades) but will find that Treet Blue will give them a very respectable shave without any side affects!

sometime underdog is far better for a job then the op dog. :cool:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)
I bought some of these in a sampler pack. They give a pretty good shave for the price. It pulled a little bit on the third day, but I still received s close, irritation free shave with it. I didn't have a problem with them rusting. I just poured 90% rubbing alcohol on them when I was finished shaving.

So far, these were the best shave for the price. I will probably purchase more in the future.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)
I bought a bunch of these and tried to like them. I know why Kyle is talking about when he mentions the "pulling". The last shave I had with one of these actually left me with a lot of red bumps on my neck.

They rust after 2 days.

A better blade by TREET is the TREET Platnum. That is a nice blade.

All IMHO.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
1.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
1.00 star(s)
I tried these blades after reading other's reviews, but my experience was similar to kyle's. Definitely not the blade for me. Dull and not smooth at all.

I can't comment on longevity because I replaced the blade after 1 or 2 shaves thinking I just got a bad blade.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Longevity
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
1.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
1.00 star(s)
I have had a good experience with this blade. My first BBS shave since I restarted DE shaving 2 months ago. I have used this blade the last two weeks in three razors with good luck in all of them. The price. I don't know how anyone can give this blade less than ten on the price. The quality is excellent for a carbon steel blade. This blade is as sharp as they come. Longevity comes to three shaves for me. This blade is also as smooth as it gets. Packaging is just a box but I don't care because of the price of the product. This blade from me gets a :thumbup: .

bj
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
The Treet Blue Special has become my benchmark blade after months of testing just about everything under the sun. This is one awesome instrument, and just gorgeous to look at, to boot! I respect your opinion because as we all know in shaving, Your Mileage Will Vary. The tone of the review is nevertheless very harsh and not mutually respectful of the fact that other peoples' experience will definitely be different.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
A quick review to side with the people that love this blade. These blades give me the smoothest, most comfortable shave.

I also love that the blade is not glued into the paper package, and that the blade is double-wrapped.

Great quality all around. I personally leave the blade in the razor for a week or two and never see any rust.

I'll be ordering a 100 more once my trial pack runs out.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
IMHO, your mileage may vary well vary...My Mileage with these l'il instruments of whisker death certainly varies from many of the review & comments above.

Smoothness of Shave/Sharpness:
I've gotten great smooth shaves off these incredibly sharp & smooth blades. Never had any problem with blade drag with these delightful edges. IMHO, way better shave than many a blade that cost 5x as much (like Merkz 'n Swedes) but that's just my skintype noticing the difference not my wallet.

Longevity:
I get a good 4 shaves off them & could easily get one or two or three more but I chuck every & all blades after the 4th shave sometimes sooner. Just a personal shaving policy.

Quality:
These are top quality in my reckoning. Beautifully retro. Some user's will carp
about "rust" but as I dunk every blade (even SS, Plat's) in Isopropyl Alcohol after every shave, this has been a non-issue for me. I like to keep my edges
disinfected, so they all swim in the Alcohol. I mean. hey if I was just out for convienence I'd be using a stinkin' no hassle Fusion or a 4-banger mower instead of a DE.

Price:
These l'il Pakistani varmints are a terrific value at about 11 or 12 cents a piece. Even with my 4 shave & chuck'em routine, that's about 3c a shave. I'll take value like that any old time particulary when it's paired with high performance.

Packaging:
LOL, I gotta blade bank. I really don't give a hoot about most product packaging as long as I can get the goods outta the package. I hate paying for fancy-dancy packaging but I do want fancy-dancy products inside the package & this a fancy dancy blade.

If you haven't tried these blades & you got an extra, say, 50 or 60 cents in
your budget, give'm a shot & decide for yourself.

Treat yourself to some Treet's.

Of course, YMMV !!!

While you're taking The Plunge with the Treet's Black Beauties, might as well try a pack of Astra Super Plat's & a pack of Astra Keramik since the Postage will probably be the same.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
I also find these blades to be super sharp and smooth. I get excellent shaves with these and can easily acheive BBS with no irritation or nicks. With Feathers, I always tend to get one or two minor nicks but never with Treets.

However, the downside is that these blades rust really fast. I can get up to 4 shaves out of these if I dip them in 99% alcohol, but even then there will be traces of rust that might stain my razor. Now I use them as just once only blades and throw them away after shaving.

I am therefore not sure if I will buy more once I run out or just buy Gillette Silver Blue blades which I also enjoy very much. I have plenty of both and will make up my mind which one I prefer.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Really didn't do it for me. I have tried these three times, and every time they gave a really rough, dull shave. For me, not even close to anything like a swede Gillette or Feather. I actually got a better shave from a Merkur blade than these Treets.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
2.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
1.00 star(s)
Wow. The review is totally at variance with my own experience. The Treet blades are one of the two best blades I've tried (the other being Astra Superior Platinum), and I have now been using them for a couple of months. And my experience every shave is the same: flawlessly sharp blade, effortless shave, with totally smooth result. Of course, with blades we know the rule is YMMV, whence the importance of the sampler packs, but your experience is at the other extreme from mine.

I suppose the finding proves that, regardless of one review (or one shaver's experience), it's important to try a blade for yourself to learn how it will work for you.

I'm surprised, though, at the absolute tone of the review: "This product is a tragic waste of metal." Not much YMMV in that statement. Although "for me" is implied, it's good in such reviews to state it, else the casual reader believe that his own experience will inevitably match that of the reviewer---that's not necessarily the case.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
displayimage.php

For evaluation purposes, I tried these blades with Merkur HD, Merkur LH, and Merkur Slant Bar razors. Throughout testing, I rotated between various high-end creams and soaps and also used 4 different brushes (Rooney, Shavemac, & 2 different Simpson’s). All products and equipment used are items that I am highly familiar/experienced with and items that deliver consistently excellent results.

As a bit of background on the blades I’ve used, for a brief time I served as a blade tester for an overseas vendor. Beyond the Big 5 (Merkur, Derby, IP, Feather, Swedish Gillette), I’ve also used multiple production versions of the Sharp and 7AM blades and have also used those by Dorco. Additionally, I’ve toyed with a majority of the commonly available drugstore/Wal-Mart blades, and a handful of other obscure brands. I say all of this merely to add validity to the statement: I’ve used some very good blades and have also experienced some that are murderously bad.

For my first shave with the Treet Blue Special, I chose my trusty Merkur Long Handle razor, Simpson’s CH1 brush, and D.R. Harris Arlington shave soap. After going through extensive beard prep, I lathered up, loaded my razor, and went to work.

At the completion of the first pass, I was convinced that I must have pulled the unfortunate dud from the pack. I shucked it and unwrapped the second blade, only to be equally thrilled by its supreme dullness. This blade drug and pulled more than a rusty butter knife. Being the trooper that I am, however, I forged onward. I made:
  • 3 N-S passes
  • 1 diagonal-down
  • 1 horizontal
  • 1 diagonal up
  • 1 S-N
and then spent the better part of 5 minutes blade buffing and j-hooking before finally reaching the ever coveted SPS (Sand Paper Smooth) shave for which we all strive. :thumbdown: To save you the math, that is 7 passes, plus an ungodly amount of touch-up work.

I had no razor burn, no cuts, and no nicks, but my face literally felt bruised from all of the vicious pulling. I could have sworn that I had ripped every hair out by its roots, yet I still wore a Miami-Vice style beard.

All subsequent shaves (1 more with the LH, 2 with the HD and 1 with the slant) were equally bad or worse than this first experience. I am truly astounded at how despicably bad these blades are. They are nothing close to sharp and the pull/drag is truly a marvel of modern metallurgy. If this is the best that Pakistan has to offer, I am in awe that every Pakistani man is not sporting a Rumpelstiltskin. This product is a tragic waste of metal.

Price – If ordered by the 100, these blades will run $0.15 - $0.20 per blade (with shipping). This is not a bad price and certainly competitive with many of the other popular choices available.

Sharpness – In comparison to reputable brands that I have/do use, these blades are pathetically dull.

Longevity – The longevity of this blade is greatly influenced by its tendency to quickly rust (I could see bits of rust within 24 hours). Aside from this fact, being that an unused blade is dull, longevity isn’t really an issue.

Smoothness of Shave – At the end of each multiple pass shave with this blade, regardless of razor and lathering product, I had much stubble remaining.

Packaging/Presentation – These blades come in an attractive enough cardboard 10-pack. Each blade is double wrapped (wax paper, then paper) which is a pretty standard practice for blades that come in soft/non-rigid packs. The colors and graphics chosen have a cool retro look to them and the fact that the blades themselves are black carries a fairly high cool factor.

displayimage.php

*Click here for discussion regarding this review.*
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Longevity
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
1.00 star(s)