What's new

Traditional Safety Razor

Pros: Price. Works decently. Easy to use.
Cons: Basic. Cheap quality.
My first DE razor. It took a couple weeks to learn how to use it. It works well and will give you a nice shave. Do not use the blades that come with it, however. You will outgrow it. I moved on to a Merkur 34C.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Inexpensive and readily available
Cons: A little bit on the light side
The van der Hagen DE razor, purchased at Target, was my fist safety razor. Although the bladed it cam with were horrible, I have had good shaves with others. The shave is fairly mild, and the razor works fine and reliably. I have zero issues with it.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
1.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Price
Cons: Construction
First off, the blade took a bit of finagling to sit properly. That alone speaks to its quality. It was a much more aggressive shave than I expected so that was a pleasant surprise. Price and availability are nice. I recommend this with some reservations.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
2.00 star(s)
Pros: Got a great shave with it
Cons: Feels poor in quality
I was excited to find a DE razor out in such stores as Walmart or Target. So, I quickly snatched one up and gave it a test shave at my soonest opportunity. I was impressed with the razor. Along with the 5 VDH Ice Tempered blades that came with it, I got a smooth, irritation free shave. I was truly shocked that I got such a good shave with it. I didn't expect that.

The only thing about this razor that I felt is negative is the quality. It feels cheaply made and most likely won't last for years if it was used daily.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Decent price for brand new razor. Available in some stores (mine came from Target.)
Cons: Included blades are average at best. Not quite heavy enough.
I picked up this razor at Target for 19.99, for my first DE razor. Some googling turns up that this is really a Weishi razor, same as the as seen on TV one. It is chrome plated brass, but it is not super heavy. The blades that came with it are made in Germany and are labeled as "Blitz Blades." They are not super nice or sharp, but they are free and work for about 2 shaves on my face. It feels solid, and mechanism closes securely, but I don't see this razor being around for 50+ years like a nice Gillette. Really mild shave, great for beginners, or for those with sensitive skin. Would not recommend because for the price you could pick up something really special on the B/S/T, or a razorock TTO. Overall, I will keep the razor, mainly because SWMBO keeps stealing it use on her legs.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)