What's new

Tony Miller's Heirloom Artisan 3" Wide Red Latigo Strop

My only complaint is that my strop is brand new, and I know how much better it will get with age. I wish somebody would take it off my hands and break it in for me for a year or two.

Of course, they'd have to leave a small deposit to cover its loss or any nicks that may occur. I'd say a million dollars would be fair. :thumbup1:
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
xa_sc_review_field_title.fit_&_finish
5.00 star(s)
Overall Value
5.00 star(s)
Amount of Draw
5.00 star(s)
Thickness of Leather
5.00 star(s)
Fabulous product. I use it everyday and am glad I bought it each time I use it.

I would buy another if I lost this one.
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Overall Value
5.00 star(s)
Amount of Draw
3.00 star(s)
Thickness of Leather
4.00 star(s)
This is by far the highest quality shaving item I have ever owned. This is my first strop and I can tell that I made the best decision not going with another one. This strop is really a masterpiece. I won't be surprised if I buy one or two more within the next year (one for function and one for show).
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Overall Value
5.00 star(s)
Amount of Draw
5.00 star(s)
Thickness of Leather
5.00 star(s)
I have been using mine for about a month and have turned my old Illinois 361 into a chrome-ox strop. Tony's artisanship in unsurpassed and I love this strop, the draw is perfect for me and make my Dovo scary sharp. I would not even think of buying another brand after using Tony's. :biggrin:
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Overall Value
5.00 star(s)
Amount of Draw
4.00 star(s)
Thickness of Leather
5.00 star(s)
I have had my 3" Artisan Red Latigo/Canvas (with handles) for about 3 weeks now. As yet it remains in its plastic bag, laid flat, until my experience with the Latigo practice strop justifies and warrants its use.

This strop is beautifully fabricated, and save for one circular cut mark into the leather handle (on the canvas strop) were one of the screws has been tightened during manufacture, its cosmetic appearance is fabulous!!!

These strops are quite obviously a labour of love and are built to last.

The marks I have given with repect to draw and efficacy are based upon my use of the practice strop, which is made of exactly the same leather as the Artisan. My findings thus far are that it provides a nice level of draw and maintains the alignment of my blades very efficiently.

Whilst I reside in the UK, I still found that importing from Tony was good value for money when comparing prices of other quality strops in the UK.

I think this strop will serve me well for many, many years to come. :smile:
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Overall Value
5.00 star(s)
Amount of Draw
4.00 star(s)
Thickness of Leather
5.00 star(s)
This is my first review and I am seldom moved to expound on the obvious. This strop is simply not to be believed till you touch,feel and use it. I got the model with linen and everything from the hardware to the craftsmanship is world class. It is seldom in my life that I can honestly say that I have purchased the best! Tony is an absolute master in every stage in the fabrication of this strop. His choice of materials and attention to detail may be rivaled but will not be surpassed, by anyone! This strop, if properly cared for, will solicit admiration past Tony's and my time on this spinning ball of dirt. I usually look for the price break that allows one good value coupled with excellent performance. My first strop was German Dovo and it is a nice strop. This 3" monster allows me to strop the entire razor without X-ing and feels like butter. I would advise that anyone that is new to stropping not buy this strop without getting a practice strop because nicks in this strop will not go down easily my friends. :eek:
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Overall Value
5.00 star(s)
Amount of Draw
4.00 star(s)
Thickness of Leather
5.00 star(s)
For the sake of completeness, including a link to the product so readers don't have to desperately search for this. :biggrin:

http://shop.thewellshavedgentleman.com/product.sc?categoryId=2&productId=123

I had to buy a strop anyway. I was looking at buying something "cheaper" since I'm a straight razor newbie but I hate buying something twice when I can just do it right the first time. I just ordered mine a few minutes ago. Thanks for the review!
Alan,
Thank you, I'm blushing right now. You are the first person to comment on the back or rough side of the strop. It is not really intended to be used, at least not on a Paragon or Artisan model, being that it faces inward towards the linen/canvas, but there is no reason it cannot be used as an intermediate surface other than it's placement. You will find that over time the draw on the outer, smooth side will increase with use, even more so if the Neat's Foot Oil is applied.

You commented on Horsehide and "the best" I still stand by it not being the "best", simply something different. Lighter draw, but a more velvety feel. It will increase in draw dramatically (as will latigo really) if buffed so the surface is removed, something Dovo and Jemico have been doing since day one. On my models at least, more money (Horsehide) does not always mean better. Horsehide costs more simply because the raw material costs me more, waste is higher and it is very tough to cut neatly and accurately by hand.

I'm glad you are pleased.

Tony
This is my first strop from Tony, and was recommended to me by my friend Stogieiv. I went to his site, wanting this model, but in horsehide. I have an older Illinois horsehide strop, and another strop that's cowhide, and thought that if I was going to pay this kind of money, I might as well get the best, horsehide. I got an e-mail back from Tony, informing me that until further notice, he had no supply of horsehide, and recommended the Red Latigo model. Honest truth, guys, I was a little disappointed, at least until it came! Now, I opted for the pure linen strop, and I know that linen is either really liked or really not - one of those personal preferences. I'll touch on that first; I've never used canvas, but just on principle, I'm sure it's excellent, and maybe even better than linen. I just don't know, but you folks can set me straight. All I can say is that on a few older and well-used straights, I used my Norton 4000/8000, then went to the linen on this strop, followed by the rough side, and finally, the smooth Latigo leather with all of them, and they shave wonderfully. The linen - to me - seemed to do exactly what it's supposed to do. Now, maybe the canvas would have done the same, for $11 less, but I'm really pleased with the linen strop. Before I touch on the leather, a word on construction; how any leather product, from any genre, could be better-made, more substantial, etc., I have no idea. I have no doubt but that this (and other of Tony's strops) represents the apex of strop manufacture. Every bit of it seems almost overbuilt, it's stunningly beautiful, the leather is just a perfect thickness - thick enough to be substantial, yet pliable enough to be extremely easy to use. The "rough" side of this Red Latigo might be my most pleasant surprise, at least when compared with other strops. The draw is quite firm, yet totally comfortable. It's just "uniform"...no bumps, just one gorgeous piece of suede. The first time that I stropped on that beautiful wide swath of Red Latigo, I knew I'd keep this strop until it literally falls apart. The draw is definitely more pronounced than my horsehide strop, but I love that. It makes my razors sing, and leaves the most marvelous edge. In short, it's a magnificent setup, in looks and function. No, it isn't cheap, and while I don't have any extensive collection of strops, I can't believe that there's anything out there that could outperform this. If I read a review one day that says there is, then I'll buy it. Until that unlikely "then", this is my ideal. I know you like them, Joel, but my hat's off to my friend Ted, Stogieiv, who basically just told me that this was the one I needed, period. He was right. My highest recommendation goes to this. Tony - keep up the amazing work... Alan
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Overall Value
5.00 star(s)
Amount of Draw
4.00 star(s)
Thickness of Leather
5.00 star(s)
Top Bottom