What's new

Tom's of Maine - "Refreshing Mint" Conditioning Shave Cream

I can't really rate this stuff fairly. I like the chocalate chip mint ice cream scent, but it's the only shaving product that my wife has put her foot down on and banned from our house, based on the scent!

It's very servicable, and at a closeout price of a few dollars it's a pretty nice bargain, but alas, for me it's not meant to be....:mad3:
I was cruising Grocery Outlet and saw Toms Mint for $2.50. Had heard such good things about it and for the price i figured what the heck. I was rather pleased with the extreme minty feeling and lather size. However it took much more water than my RSC cream. I would guess partly because how hard the creme is. I was also disappointed on it's lack of slickness and moisturizing capabilities. Each time i've used this it's left my skin dry, thus having to result to using AS balm. If you try to use it to achieve uberlather you will be a bit disappointed too. Because its hard and takes more effort breaking it down in your soap mug... otherwise you'll find clumps of it sticking to the side. Instead i've resulted to lathering in a separate mug and using it alone.

Pros: price $2.50, minty tingling,

Cons: lacks slickness/moisturizer, hard creme requiring LOTS water, can't use with soap puck cause it clumps up if not broken down with lots water
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
I bought this from Whole Foods after reading the reviews here. I wasn't expecting a whole lot, but boy did this shaving cream deliver!!

Price: You can't go wrong with paying just a little more than $5 for a shaving cream of this quality.

Quality: I can't compare it to the more expensive creams and soaps as I haven't tried those. I am quite prepared to believe that this may not be as good as a $15-30 product, but by how much?? For the price, this is a great quality product.

Scent: I'm not sure how much I like my shaving cream smelling like toothpaste.

Latherability: This lathers very quickly. Peaks within a minute with a badger brush. However, it seems to get runny on sitting. So my second pass onwards did not have the firmness I'd like. I used more than the almond sized dollop to start with.

Efficacy: This allows a very good, lubricated shave. No problems with the runny lather on my later passes. It still worked fine. You may be able to get away without splashing water on your face between passes (haven't tried it).

Moisturizing: It seems to be moisturizing enough. No dryness, but I rarely have problems with dryness.

Packaging: It's in a tube....what's there to dislike in that package? Added advantage that the tube is metal.

In conclusion, this is a good product with a great price. If I had found this earlier I may never have bought any more expensive product. It's not brilliant, but it does the job really well.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
This is the first shave cream I have used, but I can say that it will be in my arsenal for as long as I can find it in the store. I had heard about it, but thought it was discontinued. I happened upon it in a grocery store and thought I'd try it. This stuff is amazing! I love everything about it, save for the price and packaging which suffered a "9" rating only because I later found it a bit cheaper and I'm not sure how the metal tube will hold up. Other than that, it's great stuff and give a great shave. I love the zing it has on the face, especially with the second and subsequent relathers. Too bad they don't make it anymore.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Why didn't anyone tell me how good this stuff is? Oh wait, you did!

This stuff rocks. I never thought I would like a mint scented shaving cream, but due to my success with the Calendula, I just had to give the mint a try. Glad I did. I think the Mint is even better.

This lather was totally on par with Proraso, though the "blast" of the mint is milder than the eucalyptus, it's still VERY refreshing.

I was able to generate plenty of thick, shiny, lubricating lather with my VDH brush. Fantastic. Wonderful, smooth shave with hardly a trace of irritation. The lather was very easy to generate too. I used a fairly damp brush, and got the ratio just about perfect the first try. Just had to add a few more drops of water here and there. Awesome.

They still had plenty on the shelf at my local Wild Oats store, so I methinks I shall stock up. This is one that I will want to have around for a long time.

Whoooo!!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Tom's of Maine used to be my travel shave cream due to its packaging, but I just unloaded it into my empty T&H container and I think I'll start using this more often. It has an extremely minty scent, almost like a sweet mint ice cream smell, which is quite pleasing when you're getting lathered up in the morning. It is quite moisturizing as some other reviewers said, due to the glycerin and coconut oils they load into this cream, but it does produce a fantastic lather using the brush. And for the price you really can't beat it!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Alrighty, let me lay out the equipment first - Weishi razor, Israeli Personna blade, Tweezerman brush. I used this stuff on my head every day for about a month, and was very, very pleased. The blade flew over my head, but was actually cutting at the same time! The lather has an almost "cake batter" consistency, yet there was no clogging. The scent is mild, and doesn't hang on, which is good for me, because I'm an unscented fan usually, and remember this stuff is organic, so that's "real" mint:) It does have a nice cooling effect too, which I found beneficial. The moisturizing I found to be excellent, I simply blotted my head dry, also good, since I don't usually use after products. The price is nice, you get an extra ounce compared to everyone else, gotta love that, and it's also widely available online (I got mine from Smallflower). The packaging is where I rated it lower, not because of the material (it's a recyclable aluminum tube and that's great) but because I think a tub would better serve - this squeezes out of the tube hard, it's quite gellid (reminds me of canned cranberry jelly, or maybe that really thick wedding cake frosting), hugely different from German Nivea, for instance, which is so soft. In fact, I mashed this stuff up in my hand with a fingertip before hitting it with the brush (which I guess I'd advise if you're trying it:); a tub would allow you to just scoop it out, of course, much easier with this being kind of semi solid. But don't let this difference scare you, it's only something to become aquainted with. I'm trying a new soap right now, but I'll definitely be buying some Tom's again:)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
This is the only shaving cream I use--for me, it's perfect in every way. As for the tube, I'm not a huge fan either but I learned that as long as you squeeze from the bottom, pinching a little more each time, you won't have to worry about the tube breaking since the same spot won't be stressed more than once or twice. I think that way back when, all tubes were like this, no? How did the old-timers do it?

Also remember, you can cut away the plastic cap and shoulder and are left with a recyclable piece of aluminum. If for some reason you can't recycle it locally, Tom's will gladly accept it should you take the trouble to mail it back to them...if you're concerned with that :wink:

BTW, drugstore.com is having a sale right now on the stuff--$3.75/tube. Of course, it's probably not worth it unless you have other stuff to get.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
I am one of those who did not think so highly of this product. The scent was weak, mintiness weak, latherability OK, but the greatest weakness was its efficacy. I might as well have been using Dove Soap. But I have not given up on this product yet. For so many to like it, I must be missing something. In my book if you want a great menthol shave, for the price, you can't beat Proraso.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
2.00 star(s)
I got, just today a full sized sample tube of this at work. (whole foods)
Going to try it out first thing in the AM.
I have access to all sorts of samples, (herban cowboy, Kiss my face ect..)
So If this works well, I am going to have to try the Mint, as the Proraso is definitely my preferred summer shave cream for the cooling properties, but at less than half the price, the Tom's may be my best bet.
I love the scent and sensation of the TOM mint cream. I haven't quite solved the problem of lathering this cream. It seems thinner than other creams, but it has fewer ingredients, which can be a plus. I can only whip a thin lather, but this has to be my deficiency, other members post nice lather photos of this product.
So, when you use it, it fills the bathroom with a wonderful mint scent and feels incredibly cooling on your face. It really is very refreshing and will certainly wake you up in the morning. The packaging is very functional though it does look identical to TOM tooth paste (which we also use in the house - so far no mix ups). The price is about $5- a bargain considering the quality of this natural product. You can't go wrong giving this one a try - or just ask someone who loves you to stick some in your Christmas stocking.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Tom's of Maine is fanfreakingtastic!!! It has a nice smell of peppermint and lathers like a champ! I love the cooling feeling I get on my face from using this stuff!!! It provides excellent lubrication while shaving. It lathers as good if not better than the KMF products, but I think it smells better.

I agree with many others about the metal tube which is quite annoying and the products only downfall. With that said, after using the Tom's of Maine for the first time, I squeezed all of the product into another container because I just didn't think the metal tube would last too long after a few squeezes.

If I never tried another product or was not interested in trying others, I could stay with this product!! It is that good! If they ever offer 11oz in pump or plastic in the tubes like KMF, I would buy the hell out of it. It is a little better than KMF, but I much prefer the packaging of KMF over this.

Great stuff period minus that annoying metal tube! You have not tried this stuff yet at around 4 bucks??? Are you crazy???
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
This is one of the few shaving creams I can buy locally, and from my food co-op non the less, so it has already guaranteed itself a spot in by cupboard by virtue of availability. Besides that, it's cheap, really cheap, like $5 a tube cheap. Thats enough to make me buy it regardless of how well it shaved, so its a nice bonus that it shaves really well. Granted, I can't vouch for the hand lathering technique they recommend (I really should try that), but it works just dandy in a mug with a brush. Sometimes it can be a bit hard to get it going, but I've found just a touch of soap on the brush solves that and produces a wonderfully rich lather in no time. It can also leave an odd, almost chalky feeling if it isn't washed off completely.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
STRONG minty smell and cooling like the arctic. And this stuff lathers like a racehorse! For 6 bucks at Whole Foods I like it, but the caveat is I have no idea what kind of aftershave or balm goes with it. It does leave a minty smell on you, which I knocked it back a little with some Thayers Original Witch Hazel, but still..

All in all, a decent shave with the Tom's - it's definitely a keeper, though many won't like the smell.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I'm a great fan of minty and/or mentholated shaving creams. I've got three that's in my rotation right now: Proraso, KMF, and Tom's of Maine. Of them, I find that Tom's is easily the most minty. Great, luxurious lather, too. Nice lubrication and moisturizing properties. I love this cream. The only letdown for me is its scent, which offhand, I'm not too fond of (though I could get used to it, and is actually just a minor problem for me). While it is not as inexpensive as KMF, it's still a great bargain for its price, particularly if compared with Proraso.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
After using Proraso for a while, this stuff is the only thing that is more refreshing. It has a nice mint scent and lathers very well. Since you can pick this up at most health food store for around $6, it it worth trying. The tingle it gives when rinsing with cold water, can really wake you up early in the morning. Highly recommended.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
So Basically its MINTY!!! which is okay, (I Still drool over Trumpers Sandalwood).

It takes a TON of water to create a good lather but when it happens you get one of the wettest shaves you will ever have. (watch Marks video on generating lather, he uses ToM) Most all of my other creams reach the "Budda" zone with just a little water but none can ever be as wet as this cream.

The Minty tingle does something for me to reduce irritation drastically; plus its refreshing.

I just hope it doesn't permanently scent my brush.

It washes away very quickly and cleanly leaving no residue but does nothing to moisturize my face which I don't care about because I have my own after shave ritual.

For me this cream is a way to keep my beard submerged in water without shaving with a snorkel.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
0.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
0.00 star(s)
I had high hopes for this cream becoming my go-to travel cream based on reviews here and it's size was just right but I had to wrestle with it to get it out of the tube. Maybe I got some old stock but I had to grasp with both hands to force it out. Luckily it didn't end up all over the mirror. Once out I couldn't get it to stay on the brush and had to keep scooping it out of the sink. It kept it's cylindrical shape once out of tube so the brush had nothing to hang on to. The shave was OK, lather a bit thin but did the job. I was tempted to take it back but had already tossed the box and most likely the rest of the lot was the same. This product humbled me but it didn't cost much so I wasn't out much.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
0.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
After reading the reviews here, I decided on Toms of Maine because it's an all natural product and a steal at only $6.00!

At my local health food store, all they stock is the Calendula scent. I don't notice much of a smell to with this cream, and may go as far as to say it's unscented.

I gave the moisturizing properties an 8 because I don't feel it really moisturizes your skin, but don't get me wrong the razor glides smooth, and there is no irritation.

I just got my first brush today (tweezerman badger) and this is the tiny amount of cream it took

To get this kind of lather in 20 swirls
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I just received a tube of this today, compliments of a trade with a B&B member.

I have one thing to say....WOW!!!! This stuff is amazing!! Until today, Proraso has been my go to shave cream when I want that menthol cool icey blast, and it's never dissapointed. But, now it has some serious competition. I used a little Proraso pre/post before the shave, and then lathered up with Toms of Maine Mint. What followed is what legends are made of. The immediate blast of the mint scent, the latherability, the lucbricity, the tingling feeling on the face, and of course the shave itself!! I have just about every high end cream on the market, and this is as good if not better than anything else. I feel like going online right now and buying 30 tubes of it just so I know I'll have them in the unlikely event that Toms goes out of business. To get even more of an Arctic blast, I used a little splash of Osage Rub Facial splash on my face after a cold water rinse. My face is registering about -234 degrees right now. I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!
Top Bottom