What's new

Tom's of Maine - Calendula Shave Cream

I saw this at Grocery Outlet for $2.50 tube. So i figured what the heck. I had already tried Toms Mint - rather disappointed in it's lack of slickness and moisturizing. (**Mind you i am comparing this to my "go to" RSC Moisturing Cream**) All in all i give it a 6/10, it was okay and i'll use up the tube.. but by no means am i buying another one. When others emphasize how hard the creme is, you best believe it. This stuff requires so much water it's ridiculous. It does lather nicely when you achieve the right balance of creme and water. However because the creme is hard.... it makes it a bit harder to break down in the mug. I am constantly finding clumps of the stuff even after i rinse my mug. It does have a subtle pleasant scent, nothing over powering. Another down side for me is that i must be allergic to Calendula / Marigold cause if i'm having a particularly slow shave with my str8 its begins to irritate my face. I do have allergies so maybe that's why - dunno.... Regardless because i'm cheap i vowed to use the stuff until it's gone and each time my face gets irritated. So no more Calendula for me. If it works for you great! Over all about 6/10

Pros: price $2.50, subtle scent, lather but requires LOTS water,

Cons: irritated my face - possible allergic, lacks slickness and moisturizing, hard cream and clumps up,
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
2.00 star(s)
scent is nothing to write home about. not offensive, but not inspiring - pretty faint, actually.

easy to use, slick, sorry to see it go
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Got this at Grocery Outlet, $2.50 for the tube. It's there at the cut rate because it's been discountinued.

Mild but pleasant floral scent. Lathers well, but needs more water than other creams I've used. Gives the blade a good glidy ride. Doesn't seem to dry or really moisturize the skin.

I'd keep buying this forever at a couple bucks a tube, but of course that won't happen. I liked it enough to sock away a few at the bargain rate. Not fantastic enough to make me weep at the idea of it's extinction, but good enough that I am sorry to see it go.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
If the response to their customers for shaving cream is the same as it is for suggestions on their toothpaste, then I'd look for something else. I bought a product which was lousy and had a hell of a problem getting anybody to talk to!
Really a great cream. I've had this for a few months and it lathers like a dream, priced like a steal, and smell like a flower covered mountian valley in spring. Calendula gets overshadowed by the ever popular Mint version of Tom's but for the price I'd definitely recommend trying this one.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
D
proxy.php

I picked up a tube of this cream the other day and shaved with it this morning. All I can say is wow. First off, this cream is simply great. I have been shaving with Tabac shave soap for over a month now and I was expecting disappointing lather from this cream (we all know how thick Tabac shave soap lather is). This was not the case, the lather from this Tom's cream was awesome. Very thick with peaks.

My personal tastes push me toward shave soaps, but this cream gets the job done. I have used the Tom's of Maine Mint shave cream. This is a decent cream, but very cooling. If you are not in the mood for a cold face (especially in the winter), you will not like this cream. Compared to the Mint, the Calendula cream is very mild. The scent is there, and pleasant, but not overbearing (like some C&E shave creams). That said, the scent isn't going to bring a smile to you face like the scent of Tabac can (if you like Tabac that is). Though some my love the mildness.

The only concern I found with this cream, which I experience with all creams I have found is that it isn't the last word in moisturizing ability. My face was not dry after, but it definitely didn't feel as great as after a good Tabac shave (sorry for continuing to reference Tabac...but it is just that, my reference...and preference).

This product is available from drugstore.com, but I have also seen it at Whole Foods. Considering this is so easy to get, I am amazed it does not receive more recognition. This cream is excellent and a great alternative to soap. Face lather this stuff and you will not be disappointed. Definitely Tom's better shave cream. The Mint is great, but the Calendula is far better.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)