What's new

Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

Expected not to like this, but it is a very pleasant wearing experience.
As first reviewer said, tobacco and vanilla quite simply. A very nice blend of the two.

It is certainly not a feminine scent, but it is deemed unisex and a woman could wear this. But it strongly evokes a high quality tobacconist's shop and quality pipe tobacco. Not sure how many women want to smell like that.

Very surprising scent. I'd be tempted to buy a full bottle but I have a "pipe" fragrance already, and don't have a place for another. It's pricey stuff, but probably worth it if you like this kind of gentlemen's club sort of scent.
Price 3/10 Tom Ford is notorious for price gouging it's customers.
Quality 8/10 Smells of quality ingredients, but I'm highly wary of this.
Packaging 4/10 Cap is now plastic as opposed to glass, and prices have not dropped. Expect much better packaging for the price.
Scent 7/10 Very sweet scent, but look elsewhere if you want tobacco as the vanilla plays the dominant role here.
Complexity 7/10 Fairly straight forward scent which does not develop into much more over time.
Staying Power 9/10 Extremely good longevity, even on my dry skin.
Quality of Atomizer 8/10 Atomizer is decent, but not as good as Dior's.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Complexity
3.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
I've marked this zero on packaging and atomiser because I only bought a sample.

It's quite a simple smell and just like it says - tobacco and vanilla, the blurb says it's also got some spices in the mix but I don't notice them.

Price: wow! This stuff is expensive, the cheapest I've seen is $165 for 50ml and you've got to wonder if a relatively simple scent is really worth that much - I'm convinced someone could easily produce a smell-alike for a tenth the price. Trouble is; nobody does, so if you want something with this smell you have to pay the asking price.

Quality: Excellent

Scent: There are a couple of old fashioned tobacconists that I know still operating in London (and one in Newquay oddly enough). Maybe you know the kind of place - wood floor, glass display cases full of pipes and cigars, rows of glass jars full of pipe tobacco on the shelves and a pervasive smell of tobacco and vanilla. Well there you have it and I absolutely love it. Warm and comforting, traditional but not in the least like a standard cologne. The vanilla is not particularly masculine and indeed this is marketed as a unisex scent - to some it may feel a bit feminine. However the tobacco does change the tone considerably, deepening and maturing the vanilla, the two are nicely balanced either could easily have drowned out the other but in fact they cooperate beautifully. This is powerful stuff, technically it's an eau de parfum not cologne. Very detectable from a considerable distance throughout it's lifespan so you need to be careful not to overdo it: powerful and distinct if you're looking for subtlety look elsewhere.

Complexity: Not complex at all to my nose - just tobacco and vanilla. The reputed spices may well be adding to the whole but I'm not enough of an expert to detect and analyse any more than the basic two components.

Staying power: Very good, I put some on at ten this morning and it's just beginning to fade now at midnight - 14 hours, the only cologne I know with more staying power is Black Aoud. Nor does Tobacco Vanille develop much, at least not until right at the end, then again, I'm not particularly keen on scents that change on me.

I really can't emphasise enough how much I like this scent it's really, really, really nice, but it's also really, really, really expensive. It does seem a bit of a rip off but then you can take it or leave it.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
0.00 star(s)
Complexity
2.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)