What's new

Tom Ford Private Blend Italian Cypress

Item Description

This is another superb fragrance by Tom Ford. It reminds me of Halston Z-14 almost exactly but with a more urbane, congenial nature. Italian Cypress' opening is of a smoky, herbaceous pine that welcomes attention and yet exudes class and nobility. This Eau de Parfum is in a different class, it smells of a country club's library of overstuffed leather chairs, wood panelling, roaring fire, and bookshelves stuffed with dusty, first-editions.

As the heart begins to appear, the herbaceousness softens into the background as it morphs into ashy, charred embers and wisps of smoky church incense; to elaborate on the incense facet, it has the hint of Japanese incense as well. It is so well combined, that the herbs and incense are so intertwined yet definable. Furthermore, I seem to detect Agarwood, which seems to be a favorite of Mr. Tom Ford and lends to the woodsy aspect of the scent.

At the dry down, Italian Cypress does not develop. It stays linear.

This is a linear Eau de Parfum albeit, complex. This scent is, to my opinion, age specific; this is a fragrance that is touted for the mature, not old; a man of class, character and urbanity. If generously applied, then it would smell as if a boy got into his father's cologne. This scent carries an air of colognes past, to name some: Z-14 by Halston, M7 by Yves Saint Laurent, Rive Gauche Pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent and the original L'Homme by Roger & Gallet. Longevity is excellent and the sillage is moderate but if worn sparingly; if overapplied, then this scent can be ostentatious.

I feel this is a special occasion fragrance; a romantic date, an evening out, a candlelight dinner or black-tie affairs. However, at the asking price of $180, I would wear it quite often and not hoard it away, enjoy the complexity.

Tom Ford Prive Blend Italian Cypress is a must buy and is highly recommended!

Latest reviews

I agree with grommingguru for the most part. This is a marvelous men's scent. Though most of the TOM FORD PRIVATE COLLECTION is tabbed as unisex, I can't fathom a woman wearing this.

Not familiar with Z-14, so not sure about that, but I have seen others in Basenotes make that comparison.

When I tried this, there was something vaguely familiar and pleasing.

Then it struck me. This is a modernized, cleaned up and somewhat tamed version of the original Polo green.

I guess you could save the money and buy Polo, but I find this so much more dignified and refined I may have to pop for 50ml. I could see myself and many B&B guys wearing this a lot.

The TF scents are interesting in that I note that like the Creeds, there is something slightly similar from one to the other, but I don't mean that in a bad way. This wears very nicely on me, and the longevity with TFs I've tried is fantastic.

If you liked Polo or Z-14, give this one a sample.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Complexity
2.00 star(s)
Staying Power
3.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
3.00 star(s)
This is another superb fragrance by Tom Ford. It reminds me of Halston Z-14 almost exactly but with a more urbane, congenial nature. Italian Cypress' opening is of a smoky, herbaceous pine that welcomes attention and yet exudes class and nobility. This Eau de Parfum is in a different class, it smells of a country club's library of overstuffed leather chairs, wood panelling, roaring fire, and bookshelves stuffed with dusty, first-editions.

As the heart begins to appear, the herbaceousness softens into the background as it morphs into ashy, charred embers and wisps of smoky church incense; to elaborate on the incense facet, it has the hint of Japanese incense as well. It is so well combined, that the herbs and incense are so intertwined yet definable. Furthermore, I seem to detect Agarwood, which seems to be a favorite of Mr. Tom Ford and lends to the woodsy aspect of the scent.

At the dry down, Italian Cypress does not develop. It stays linear.

This is a linear Eau de Parfum albeit, complex. This scent is, to my opinion, age specific; this is a fragrance that is touted for the mature, not old; a man of class, character and urbanity. If generously applied, then it would smell as if a boy got into his father's cologne. This scent carries an air of colognes past, to name some: Z-14 by Halston, M7 by Yves Saint Laurent, Rive Gauche Pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent and the original L'Homme by Roger & Gallet. Longevity is excellent and the sillage is moderate but if worn sparingly; if overapplied, then this scent can be ostentatious.

I feel this is a special occasion fragrance; a romantic date, an evening out, a candlelight dinner or black-tie affairs. However, at the asking price of $180, I would wear it quite often and not hoard it away, enjoy the complexity.

Tom Ford Prive Blend Italian Cypress is a must buy and is highly recommended!
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
5.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
5.00 star(s)

Item information

Added by
groomingguru
Views
Reviews
Last update

More in Fragrance (Reviews)

• Woodhue for Men
    Woodhue for Men is a masculine fragrance by Fabergé. The scent was...
  • Bulgari Pour Homme Soir
    Bulgari Pour Homme Soir by Bulgari is a Woody Floral Musk fragrance for...
  • Obsession for Men
    A fresh citrus explosion at the top notes (tangerine, grapefruit, lime...
  • Body Kouros
    Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent is a Oriental Spicy fragrance for...
  • Paco Rabanne
    Paco Rabanne by Paco Rabanne is a Aromatic Fougere fragrance for men...

More from groomingguru

Top Bottom