What's new

Tom Ford Amber Absolute

May I recommend Maitre Perfumer et Gartier's Ambre Precioux as the Pinnacle of all Amber scents?
This is a wonderful amber. Being an absolute, complexity seems meaningless. I agree about spritzing, this stuff begs for a roll-on (although one's finger is just fine). This would be great for layering....backing up other scents that are weak on the amber note.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
1.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
1.00 star(s)
Let me first say that I was given a sample of this from a generous B&B member :smile:. There was maybe a 1/4" left in the bottom of the sample vial, but that very small amount lasted my seven wearings. That should give you an idea as to how potent this stuff is.

Price - I judged price based on a variety of things; longevity, sillage, quality, exclusivity and the fragrance itself. Still, 1.7oz of this will run you $180, so however you'd like to view it it's still a very pricey scent.

Packaging - I judged this from the bottle design. They come in a fairly plain, yet attractive and classic amber bottle as you see for the review picture. Looks more like something you'd put expensive aftershave in...or olive oil. Nonetheless, I still like them.

Scent - This is where it gets interesting. I was almost unprepared for the intensity of the "absolute" preparing. It's EXTREMELY potent, you can dab from the small wand on the sample vial and have a noticeable scent for hours. One small dab on the chest will do you. I can't imagine spritzing this on, a full spritz may very well be too much.

That being said, Amber Absolute opens with a VERY rich, syrupy and sweet amber. The amber is very potent and sharp. It borders on too sweet, but it doesn't quite cross that line. The drydown, however, is powdery and smokey with the amber still going strong. There's a touch of vanilla but not enough to make it overly feminine. It's blended very, very well so it's fairly difficult to pick out individual notes. This one is better suited for cooler weather, as I'd imagine with very much heat this scent could become cloying.

One thing I note about this scent is that it's not very complex. That's not necessarily a bad thing, though. There are basically two phases to the scent; the sharp opening and the powdery drydown. You don't get much in-between. That's the reason for my "low" scoring for complexity.

Staying Power - Lasts all day and all night. Again, very potent and a little goes a long way.

Well, that about does her. This is a tremendously well-crafted fragrance and quality is top-notch, but I can't ever see myself springing for a full bottle at the price it's generally seen going for. However, if you're a lover of amber this may very well be worth checking out. Definitely sample before you buy, but if you DO buy, a bottle should last you a lifetime :biggrin:
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Complexity
3.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)