What's new

Titan H1 Stainless DE

Pros: Great American Quality
Cons: Be fully awake when using this tool.
This is my 3 rd purchase of an Above The Tie razor, the other 2 being a R1 as well as another H1 to compliment the one I just purchased. I also own 2 Muhle R 41 razors and rate the H1 just beneath it in aggressiveness with the R1 as a much more milder forgiving instrument. I will say that all of these are great razors and once comfortable with daily use
they will be amongst your favorites.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
4.00 star(s)
Reactions: luv2shave
Pros: Flawless manufacturing great shaves made in the USA
Cons: None
I love this razor, it shaves great in fact I have sold off many of my razors and use the H1 exclusivity I have also pre ordered the M & R head to complete the series. I see the new base plates as a system not just a razor. The best part of all this quality is its made in the USA! Who said America does not make good things anymore? Buy an Above The Tie razor and then tell me that...
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Pros: BBS without irrittaion
Cons: A bit too heavy for me.
I used it for one week. My impressions are that for a heavy aggressive razor it yeilds BBS and no irritation. One of the best aggressive razors i have ever tried. I have a Stahly, R41/2010 and Barbasol which are aggressive and i can easily say its in the same class. I never got any major nicks or cuts and the learning curve is easy. Even a newbie can use this beast and be safe. I do a 2 pass shave everyday and i can easily use this razor on a daily basis. ( unlike the R41 or Barbasol) The Titan is a instant classic in my view.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
2.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Reactions: luv2shave
Pros: Excellent construction and balance
Cons: Alignment features effective but possibly tricky for some
Above the Tie Titan H1 Stainless Razor—Aggressive but Well-behaved
The Above the Tie Titan H1 is a beautifully made razor, and its quality is readily apparent on first sight and touch. It has a fine satin-matte finish and surprising heft for its size. The gleaming knurling on the handle made for an attractive and sure grip and the balance made it immediately at home in my hands. This is a fine razor, there is no mistaking that.
On first examination, I was struck by the perfect stainless finish and the subtle, even brushing on the top cap. The bottom plate is absent the usual large holes for pins that DE razors use to help with blade alignment, and an examination of the undersides of the top and bottom plates shows why: they have been replaced by small pins and divots that do not require through-drilling. This makes for a very clean appearance under the bottom plate and a place for fine engraving to identify "Above the Tie" and announce "Made in USA".
When I inserted a blade, I was struck by the genius of the mini-pins and divots—which absolutely ensure perfect blade alignment every time. I wondered why no one else had ever thought to do this. When I turned it over, I was also struck by the blade exposure, which is large. An examination from the side showed that the blade gap was significant, too.
I performed my usual prep, which is quite thorough, and loaded my Mühle 23mm silvertip fiber brush with Mitchell's Wool Fat soap to start my shave.
I had heard that the Titan H1 was considered to be fairly aggressive, but my over 400 shaves with the Mühle R41 had taught me a lot about aggressive razors. I was not intimidated. I was surprised at how easily that first shave went, as well as the next few. The Titan did not seem at all to be hard on blades. It also did not take any more care in using than my Merkur 38C. It provides excellent audible feedback, which to me makes shaving easier.
Was the Titan aggressive? Oh yeah! Not at the same level as the Mühle R41, but close. What surprised me the most was how freely I could approach shaving with such an effective and aggressive razor, and how very easy it was to achieve a close, comfortable, nick and irritation-free BBS shave with my standard four-pass approach. I did not fear this razor. I could easily fling it about and shave amazingly quickly. This razor is aggressive, but it is also remarkably well-mannered!
Over that next few weeks, I tried the Titan with a variety of different blades, soaps/creams and brushes. It seemed to be quite accepting, and did well with anything I threw at it. The downsides of the razor were small by comparison to others I have tried.
This review is my impression of the Above the Tie Titan H1 after a month of daily use:
Price: The retail price of Titan H1 all-stainless razor is $185. The manufacturer occasionally offers it at sale prices. It is roughly in the mid-range of stainless DE razor prices. Considering the durability and craftsmanship, as well as the soon-available accessory handles and base plates to modify aggressiveness for further customization, the investment is an attractive one. This razor offers high value for the money. I gave it an "8" because it is at the upper end of what I would normally pay for my razors.
Quality: This razor screams "quality" on every dimension. The brushed satin stainless finish is remarkably well done—it even holds up well to close inspection under magnification. It is a great marriage of form and function. Not only is it attractive, but it is also perfectly balanced. The heft is solid, but not over-the-top. The knurling on the handle is both precisely machined and perfectly executed to provide a solid, non-slip grip. It reminds me of the checkering on the handle of a fine Purdey shotgun.
The razor is easy to clean, especially due to the innovative pin-and-divot blade alignment feature that does not require drilling holes through the base plate. The feature also guarantees perfect blade alignment every time. It is my understanding that this feature is a first for the industry, and I think it's a good example of the care and thought that goes into the design and execution of Above the Tie's razors. I gave it a "10"
User Friendly: I gave it an "8" because I prefer three-piece razors for ease of cleaning. The extra few seconds it takes to replace a blade every few days I find negligible. The pin-and divot alignment feature, while ensuring perfect blade alignment every time, was sometimes a little tricky for me personally because of the arthritis in my hands. For most shavers, this will not be an issue, and you will only appreciate how perfect the blade alignment is every time.
Grip: The grip and its finish are two of the Titan H1's finest features. The texturing is attractive and provides a secure grip under slippery conditions. The handle is large enough to be well-suited to most users, but small enough to be very nimble. Its dimensions are 12.3 mm x 88.5 mm, and it weighs 108 gm. It has the best grip and balance of any DE I have ever personally used, and the grip and balance contribute to great control and performance. I felt this razor made sure, close and comfortable shaves easy. A solid "10"
Ease of Blade Replacement: Personally, I like three-piece razors, especially this one. The unique pin and divot guides built into the top and bottom plates guarantee perfect blade alignment every time. For shavers with limited dexterity, the feature can be a little tricky, and take a few extra seconds. I've always enjoyed the ritual of inserting a fresh blade. With the Titan, the time it takes to perform this ritual is a visual reminder of the excellent quality and craftsmanship of this shaving tool. An "8”
Aggressiveness: This is an aggressive and effective razor capable of giving fine, close and comfortable shaves. I find the aggressiveness in the same range as my Merkur slant razors, and close to the Mühle R41.
For all its aggressiveness, it is remarkably well-behaved. I was able to shave quickly, and with little concern for nicks, cuts or irritation. I have over 400 shaves with the R41, and this may be a factor, but I still have to concentrate on my technique when using it. What I learned can be summed up in four words: GREAT PREP, ZERO PRESSURE. I find shaving with the Titan to be as free and sure as with my Merkur 34HD or 38C.
I tried the Titan with a variety of blade, soaps/creams and brush setups. I especially like it with Feathers, Perma-Sharps, Personna Med Preps, and Gillette Blues and Yellows. Others report that Sharks, Kais, Personna Reds, Astras and Derbys work as well. The Titan does not seem to be nearly as particular as the R41 with regard to blade selection. It seems to work well with most favorite brands and does not seem to share the R41's characteristic of shortening blade life. Any good soap/cream/brush combination works fine with it.
Members with sensitive skin have reported that it borders on being a little too aggressive for daily use, but still admire and use it for its effectiveness. However, it may not be for everyone. Fortunately, the Above the Tie stainless steel line will soon be offering two more models for those who prefer middle and mild grades of aggressiveness. A "9"
Adjustability: This is a non-adjustable razor, but I gave it a “10” because I think it’s perfect the way it is.
Balance: For me, there is no doubt that this is the most perfectly weighted and balanced DE razor I have ever used. Shaving with it is as easy and carefree as it could be, in my opinion. A "10"
Overall: This stainless steel razor is a remarkable achievement, especially as the first razor of a very young company. It is designed, engineered and manufactured in the United States by an American company using U.S. steel. The manufacturing detail and quality control are competitive with high-grade razor manufacturer worldwide. Above the Tie's first entry into razor production deserves a close look by serious shavers everywhere.
To use a uniquely American analogy: Above the Tie hit a home run with the Titan H1 when it stepped into the batter's box its first time in the Major Leagues.
---------
Credit: Thanks to B&B member ShaverJoe for Photo #3 and micrometer measurements.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)