What's new

Titan 1918 ACRO T.H.70

Top of the line Taiwanese straight razor.
Pros: Fair value for money with acceptable finish
A hard steel that keeps its edge well.
Bevel appears to be properly set as received.
Cons: Finish could be better for the price.
Not shave ready to my standard (normal)
The blade is made from Japanese ACRO stainless steel in Taiwan by Titan 1918 with the following particulars:

Edge Length = 68mm (2.68")
Blade width = 20mm (6/8)
Grind = Full hollow (almost)
Tip = Dutch (round)
Mass = 72g (2.5oz)
Smile = 1mm (0.04")
Jimps = underside of shank only
Balance = 5mm (0.20") from pivot pin away from blade when opened 180deg.
Spine thickness = 5.9mm (0.23")
Bevel angle = 19.2deg
Scales = Ebony timber with brass end cap at wedge pin
Wedge = parallel stainless steel
Pins = brass
Scales thickness = 15mm (0.59") max near pivot pin
Overall length = 158mm (6.3") closed and 240mm (9.6") open 180deg.
Overall height = 23mm (0.9") closed

IMG_20200306_134315.jpg
As is usual with most factory produced edges, the edge of this blade is not really "shave ready" although it well shave arm hair as received. You will need to at least progress through your preferred honing system to achieve that dragon edge.

Being a ACRO type stainless steel, the blade of this razor is noticeably more corrosion resistant than normal plain high carbon steel blades. This blade is also noticeably harder than most others at about 69 RHC.

The blade face markings read:

TITAN
T.H-70
Anti-corrosion

Tang markings read:

COLLECTION
1918 T.W
PURE HAND HARPEN

IMG_20200306_134119.jpg

This straight razor was supplied in a Mahogany stained timber box of not great quality and a 61mm (2.4") wide dual calf-hide and denim strop. There was also some lapping paste included.

Strop.jpg

The blade is well centred in the scales.

IMG_20200306_134233.jpg
The blade is fitted with a washer either side at the pivot pin.

IMG_20200306_134150.jpg
Overall, I find this Titan 1918 ACRO straight razor not much better quality than their VG10-HZ razor, although this one costs about 85% more. My preference would be for the Titan VG10-HZ razor. If you want a lighter razor than the VG10-HZ with all timber scales, harder steel and slightly greater corrosion resistance, consider this Titan ACRO razor.

Available on AliExpress for under USD 75 (in March 2020) and other on-line sites for more.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
5.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
3.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
3.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
5.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
2.00 star(s)
Last edited:
Reactions: Hak.1963 and JoWolf
rbscebu
rbscebu
I concur with the difficult-to-hone comment. It took me quite a while to get my T.H.70 edges properly dialled in, but once dialled in - what an edge. A few progressions on diamond pasted balsa stops did the trick for me.

Of my eight T.H.70's I have not experienced any loose scales but that problem could be easily fixed with a gentle tap on the pivot pin.

The scales thickness is very much a what-you-are-use-to. At about 13mm, I don't find the scales too wide at the tang/tail when shaving. They are very similar to all of my other SR's, including German and English manufacturers.
H
Herrenberg
I didn't even realize myself that it was the thickness of the scales that was bugging me, but you're right, that's it. These are by far the thickest scales I have on any razor except one, a Max Sprecher that I do not find myself reaching for as much as expected. Perhaps that's why.
rbscebu
rbscebu
Since writing my original review, I have purchased nine more Titan ACRO T.H-70 SR's and learnt how to properly measure bevel angles. The bevel angles on my T.H-70 SR's vary from 17.4° to 18.2° and average out at about 17.6°.

After fully refining the edges on these SR's using diamond pasted balsa strop progressions with short X strokes, they are now the best out of all the Titan SR's that I have tried.
Top Bottom