What's new

Thomas Taylor's "Everlasting"

:thumbsup: Well said, well written, and excellent article with an excellent choice of words.

Richard
I paid £4.50 for this razor. I'm thinking it's from around 1880, but would love an expert's opinion on this.

View attachment 8023

There are people spending twice what I paid for this for a box containing 24 tiny blades, encased in pieces of plastic. About a month later, they have to throw them all away and buy some more. This razor has "everlasting" stamped on the tang, and I don't think this is false advertising at all:

View attachment 8024

How many chins have been left glassy smooth by this beast, and it's still up for more! With a bit of care, it could still be going strong in another 50-100 years. Mankind really hasn't come that far...

It's a really thick wedge, with a slight smile:

View attachment 8026

This makes it a challenge to hone, especially as the former owner seems to have has a liking for pasted strops... Yes, it was VERY ovalled, I was there with my 1K for ages trying to level it out. Still, it has taken on an edge to be proud of, and scythes away bristles with the greatest ease.

It balances well, and weighs surprisingly little- the blade is quite thin, as razors go, and about 5/8. The bone scales are also very thin- I was worried that they would be quite delicate with age, but they don't seem to be in danger of breaking. The lines are not so elegant as the more modern razors, but this piece of kit is 100% functional, and looks smart for it.
There are no serrations on the tang, as with many older razors so keep your hands dry. As with all wedges, use no pressure, just let the weight of the razor do the work, and it will shear off any bristles you hold it to. Take that, gillette!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
4.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
2.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
2.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
4.00 star(s)