What's new

Thiers Issard 3/8 Hand Painted Whale Bone....

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

This is a really neat historical Thiers Issard razor, which offers a completely different shaving experience than your standard, run of the mill TI. First and foremost, when you first see this thing in person, you're stunned by its tiny, tiny size. Not so much that the blade isn't very wide, and at 3/8'ths it isn't, but more so that it isn't terribly long, and the monkey tail/tang are very small.

Notice the difference in size between this little 3/8th's TI, and a 6/8ths TI...

displayimage.php

Due to this razors tiny size (a throwback to when fellas were much, much smaller than they are now) it is actually a bit tricky to use, which at least for me makes it that much more fun. Keep in mind, while tricky, it is still a TI, and probably the oldest of all TI historic blades which I am sure is hammer forged, so this sucker will take REALLY wicked edge (yet can be tricky to hone due to the blades small size/shape) so once you get the hang of shavin' with this little gem, you can get some really amazing results.

displayimage.php

The scales on this razor are really something special... antique, hand painted razor scales (painted in the 1800's) with a wonderful balance/feel to them. Really a classic...

displayimage.php

Overall, I think this is an exceptional razor, and proves to be a magnificent shaver provided you take the time to learn it. While probably not for beginners, this is a remarkably wonderful piece for advanced straight razor shavers who wish to challenge themselves, as well as collectors who wish to own a historic gem. While the current trend is "big, huge, honkin'" razors - this razor offers a refreshing alternative, and proves that it doesn't take a huge razor to get a great shave.... it merely takes a skilled shaver with a good peice of steel. So far as I'm concerned... the big honkin' razors are for weenies :wink:

TO DISCUSS THIS REVIEW - PLEASE SEE THIS THREAD!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
4.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
3.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
3.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
4.00 star(s)