What's new

The Shave Library Shaving Soap

Item Description

Some time ago I promised a review of the Shave Library soap that I ordered on a whim. When I ordered the Hemingway soap, there was a delay in delivery (post office's fault) but they shipped a complimentary tub of a new fragrance (Twain) to me anyway! Great customer service.

Price: Cheap, considering what you get. Very high quality and good package design. I believe $12 with the B&B discount.

Quality: High. Easily my favorite glycerin soap.

Scent: Varies. While I must say that I didn't care for Hemingway too much (It was a huge blast of dry cedar and not much else), the floral tobacco of Twain is top notch. There are some other interesting ones on there that I may check out at some point, like Tolstoy ^_^. I gave my feedback on the Hemingway scent, and the owner said he'd pumped up the bergamot a notch in later batches.

Lather: The lather is creamy and slick, almost on par with a soap like Tabac--even with my hard water a 22mm TGN knot gets the job done admirably. It lathers easier for me than my SCS dagger soap and my Honeybee Spa, and I can only imagine what it would do if it weren't on PHX city water which is hard enough to break your teeth! Face lathers like a charm, too, but that's harder to show in pictures.

Efficacy: I've had a month or so worth of excellent shaves from this.

Moisturizing: Middle of the road. Doesn't dry me out, though!

All in all, this one sees good use in my current rotation, which includes Tabac, QCS, and DR Harris. Also, you don't see me giving 10s on the score because 10 means that nothing can ever surpass the product in the given category. Regardless, this is a darn good soap.

Latest reviews

Some time ago I promised a review of the Shave Library soap that I ordered on a whim. When I ordered the Hemingway soap, there was a delay in delivery (post office's fault) but they shipped a complimentary tub of a new fragrance (Twain) to me anyway! Great customer service.

Price: Cheap, considering what you get. Very high quality and good package design. I believe $12 with the B&B discount.

Quality: High. Easily my favorite glycerin soap.

Scent: Varies. While I must say that I didn't care for Hemingway too much (It was a huge blast of dry cedar and not much else), the floral tobacco of Twain is top notch. There are some other interesting ones on there that I may check out at some point, like Tolstoy ^_^. I gave my feedback on the Hemingway scent, and the owner said he'd pumped up the bergamot a notch in later batches.

Lather: The lather is creamy and slick, almost on par with a soap like Tabac--even with my hard water a 22mm TGN knot gets the job done admirably. It lathers easier for me than my SCS dagger soap and my Honeybee Spa, and I can only imagine what it would do if it weren't on PHX city water which is hard enough to break your teeth! Face lathers like a charm, too, but that's harder to show in pictures.

Efficacy: I've had a month or so worth of excellent shaves from this.

Moisturizing: Middle of the road. Doesn't dry me out, though!

All in all, this one sees good use in my current rotation, which includes Tabac, QCS, and DR Harris. Also, you don't see me giving 10s on the score because 10 means that nothing can ever surpass the product in the given category. Regardless, this is a darn good soap.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)