What's new

The Sanguine Disposable Cut Throat

Pros: Cheap and good for travel
Cons: Not a true straight
A great started to get in to shaving with a straight.

It doesn't replicate the feel of a hollow ground razor, but does compare to a wedge with how rigid the blade is. I gave it a 10 for ease of sharpening because changing the blade out is dead easy.

Be prepared to shed some blood as the namesake "Sanguine" hints at but you'll gain some good experience and quickly learn what not to do.

I also use this as a part of my travel kit.

You can get these on ebay for pretty cheap with a stainless steel handle too
Price
5.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
0.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
5.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
5.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
5.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
2.00 star(s)
Pros: Easy to use, rigid feel
Cons: Generic appearance (scales)
A good all around injector straight. Holds the blade taught and the head has good weight. It isn't as jumpy as my other cheap injector. Easy to clean, easy to use. The scales are cheap looking though. Worth a try folks.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
0.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
3.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
0.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
5.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
4.00 star(s)
In respect of their name, it's probably worth noting that, though they manufacture hairdressing and shaving instruments, Sanguine are "are a prominent name in manufacturing and exporting of high quality medical instruments to both domestic and overseas markets.".

I presume the secondary meaning, of ruddy good health, is also implicated.
Naming a razor company "sanguine" is funny and a tad disturbing.

From wiktionary, if you use sanguine as a verb: "To stain with blood; to impart the color of blood to; to ensanguine."

Sure, sanguine also means "of a warm temperament," or just "red", but, um, to name a razor after "bleeding" just seems...dumb.

Hey, if it shaves well, no complaints, I just thought I'd bring that up.
D
Thanks for the informative review, Mat. I may well have to purchase one of these.

A couple of questions though...

Do you get 1 shave per half-blade from this or does it manage more shaves well?

Have you tried stropping the blade to see if it increases it's life at all?
Ok I know this isn't a true straight razor but I feel it is well worth a mention.
proxy.php

I bought 2 of these from ebay member 'sanguinebeauty' (no affiliation but a superb, reliable ebayer) to use on myself and in the barber shop. It takes 'snapped' double edge blades which are held in place by a very easy to use clamp system. The razor itself has a very nice weight to it compared to the pressed tin shavettes and is traditionally shaped which makes it comfortable to use and there is that feeling of 'I'm using a straight!' when you look in the mirror. It has a stainless steel shank and clamp which seem to be pretty robust and holds the blades very securely. The scales are plastic and held securely in place with brass rivets.

They sell for for between £2.50 and £5 which is bloody good value for money. That is why I have given them 10/10. The craftsmanship has a 9/10 as it is obviously a machine built razor (no skill required) constructed from stainless steel and plastic. It is however, very well made and feels robust.

Obviously the ease of sharpening and lasting edge don't come into this review as the razor uses double edge blades so the blade quality is down to the type of blade you prefer. I personally use Derbys for myself and clients.

It is very easy to change blades and it is also very easy to clean which is why I gave it 10/10 for maintenance.

In short I think this is a very good razor which has all the trademarks of a traditional straight but without the honing/stropping issues. Because of this I think it would be ideal for someone who would like to dip their toe into straight shaving without spending a fortune on equipment. In fact, to buy this razor and a pack of blades will cost you less that a tub of your favourite cream.

I don't believe I have come across a more traditional looking, well made disposable straight and I will continue to use these for as long as I am shaving in the shop.

Cheers

Mat
Price
5.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
0.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
0.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
5.00 star(s)